College Football 2012 VI: The Coaching Carousel and Bowl Prep

Rhom

Perhaps, but Nick Saban and Les Miles were both Big Ten guys who did okay. Was LSU much better off than Arkansas before they came?

Houston Nutt won west division titles at Arkansas and never had trouble attracting talent to Fayetteville. There was a stable if talented running backs and a good handful of QBs playing for the Hogs for the last decade. I wouldn't write them off just yet!

Louisiana has an insane amount of talent within its borders. A natural built in recruiting advantage. I think you can win at Arkansas. You aren't going to beat Alabama and LSU at their own game, though. Not to mention that the offensive systems that Alabama and LSU run aren't any good. They can just get away with them because their defense and offensive lines are stacked with NFL talent. And taht's only to some extent. Both of those teams have lost games over the last few seasons that would have been won with any semblance of a competent offense.

i think it was the smart move. like i mentioned, he is well familiar with the program and many of the players there. the team is 3 recruiting classes deep with the type of players that are required to run his system. wallace, even more so than frazier, seems tailored to his style of offense. defensively, i really hope to keep van gorder and martinez but malzahn may want his own guys. we are a little small on defense to play the way that van gorder would like to but we can recruit to that.

word on the street is that malzahn wanted there to be more discipline but chizik was all about entitlement and coddling particular players. i've heard that this was the crux of the falling out that malzahn had with chizik. i still can't wrap my head around the fact that i've heard that the weight room was optional under chizik.

i guess it is going to boil down to who he keeps and who he replaces on the staff. i imagine that he will be calling the offense which means that we won't need a traditional OC...a lot of questions still but i feel like we can have success with malzahn at the helm.

I don't want BVG. He can hit the bricks and cram his excuses up his ass before he leaves. Tampa 2 is dead in college football. Monte Kiffin giving up two games worth of yards and points in one game against the HUNH was the final nail.

I want us to hire Derek Mason from Stanford or Greg Hudson from FSU or Nick Toth from Fresno State.

That said, I heard we offered the spot to Ellis Johnson, which I am on the fence about.

That said, I heard we offered the spot to Ellis Johnson, which I am on the fence about.

He's an absolute shit head coach, but as a DC he's been OK. May be a case where Auburn is looking for an older guy to offset Malzhan's relative lack of head coaching experience at the collegiate level.

For what it's worth, I don't think (hope) that Mason would leave for another DC position. He's got enough buzz that I think he'd wait for a head coach opportunity to come along.

Yea I think Arkansas is more than equipped to succeed. Even if there is not a lot of in-state talent they do border both Texas and Louisiana. With A&M in the SEC they'll even once again have a game in Texas every other year. Texas alone has enough run-off from in-state programs to bolster recruiting all over the place. Even WVU has already begun to pull in some decent recruits out of Texas. I think a lot of Oklahoma's roster is traditionally from Texas, and they've been a blueblood for as long as anyone. Also seems like the facilities are there at Arkansas, as well as the fan support, and an AD that wants to have a top level program.

Arkansas' biggest hurdle is thier division. If you're in the SEC west and arent Alabama or LSU then you have to beat them both every year. Plus Auburn and now A&M who certainly have thier moments as well. SEC trash-talk aside, definitely a feat to make it out of that line-up unscathed.

I don't want BVG. He can hit the bricks and cram his excuses up his ass before he leaves. Tampa 2 is dead in college football. Monte Kiffin giving up two games worth of yards and points in one game against the HUNH was the final nail.

I want us to hire Derek Mason from Stanford or Greg Hudson from FSU or Nick Toth from Fresno State.

i hear you, mike. i disagree but YMMV. he turned UGA around in year two and i think he could do the same for us. i was really hoping that we would offer tracy rocker a chance but i'm fairly sure that ellis johnson will take the job

Arkansas' biggest hurdle is thier division. If you're in the SEC west and arent Alabama or LSU then you have to beat them both every year. Plus Auburn and now A&M who certainly have thier moments as well. SEC trash-talk aside, definitely a feat to make it out of that line-up unscathed.

What makes you think that a one-loss SEC team has no shot at either an SEC or national title? You just have to beat the one that wins their matchup. Still easier than say Oregon where one OT loss can knock you out of both the league and the national picture.

i hear you, mike. i disagree but YMMV. he turned UGA around in year two and i think he could do the same for us. i was really hoping that we would offer tracy rocker a chance but i'm fairly sure that ellis johnson will take the job

He was great in the early aughts, but I believe that the college game has passed him by. I thought our D hit rock bottom last year, but BVG, Martinez, and Chizik managed to get a backhoe and dig us to China.

The Tampa 2 bend-don't-break philosophy is dead. Football is like that. The offense innovates until the defense catches up and then it starts all over again. Guys like Derek Mason are on the forefront of that defensive counterpunch. We aren't Alabama. We have to be innovative on both sides.

Here's an article on Mason:

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=stanford-football&id=7342

Charlie Strong is staying at Louisville. That's three very public denials for Tennessee. Now it becomes a problem because no quality coach wants to be the fourth choice. At this point they are looking at trying to find a better Dooley.

I could almost feel bad for them... almost...

:lol:

They need to get Dooley's weird orange pants and burn them, publically. Would you hire on to a job if you thought that your employer might require you to dress like that?

Yeah, I saw that about five minutes ago.

Anybody know if he was the one who made the decision re: LaTech not winding up in a bowl game, or was that the AD?

(As I typed that out, it became apparent that that kind of decision would be made by an AD, but I haven't followed the story too closely- mostly I was amused that this is what gets Karl Malone pissed.)

Anybody know if he was the one who made the decision re: LaTech not winding up in a bowl game, or was that the AD?

It was the AD. He was angling for a bigger game than the Independence Bowl, thought he had it in the Liberty Bowl (which truthfully isn't that much bigger), and got the rug yanked out from under him when the Liberty went with Iowa St.

Archived