College Football 2012 VI: The Coaching Carousel and Bowl Prep

Rhom

I would also like to point out that Oregon State faced the worst defense in Texas Longhorn history. The Beavers are the better team this year, but got thoroughly out coached. After around 7 sacks with a QB that is obviously not mobile with a sprained ankle, you would think that you would decide to either take him out of the game, or start calling running plays up the middle that are averaging 10 yards a play.

On the other hand, it was really nice to see Okafur and Vaccaro ride off in the sunset with monster games...

Oh... and if anyone is keeping track, that is 3 of 4 for the Big 12 with a 2-0 record against the Pac 12...

West Virginia completely shit the bed. For whatever reason, Doug Marrone has got WVU's number. 3 game slide against the Orange since he came along. Syracuse would have won the game anyway, but I do think the weather was a factor with our skill players unable to get any footing in the slush. That game played indoors or on a dry field and I think it'd be a different game. I thought the refs were pretty lopsided as well. Or at least the big calls all went SU's way. Just wasn't WVU's day but they played with almost no heart so they got what they deserved. Disappointing for sure.

It was probably not decisive in the game, but the crew of officials should hang their collective heads in shame for that last play of the first half. I kept waiting for a clear signal of the down from the referee and did not get it. I kept waiting for the booth to buzz a review and did not get it. It seemed like nobody could tell what the call was and nobody was signalling it to the sidelines.

That having been said, once the clock is down to 5 seconds, spiking the ball does no good and OSU had to notice that and just call the timeout. Of course others have pointed out the failure of that same OSU coaching staff to adjust coverage to triple Okafur if needed and the failure to stick with a run game the Longhorns could not stop. Sickening.

Anything less than winning out will mean a disappointing bowl season for the Pac. And Oregon must crush Kstate.

Oregon State was a definite disappointment, especially given how bad they turned the ball over again and again and how bad their sack issues were. Texas played a good Texas game (instead of what they had done most of the season, which was a bad Texas game) but OSU played really poorly and stupidly. They've got to figure out their turnover issues.

Yup. The mighty Pac 12.

If that's some sort of shout out to the perceived regular season dickwaving and conference chest beating everyone did, well, most anyone knows that the pre-NYD games don't always bring out the best in teams regardless of the conference. They don't want to travel all the way to Hawaii, or it's a game sponsored by Beef O Brady. (WTF is that?)

Basically, petulant young adults are petulant about not getting to the big show. Some can suck it up, some can't. And as Kal said, if they can't, let someone who wants to be there go.

If that's some sort of shout out to the perceived regular season dickwaving and conference chest beating everyone did, well, most anyone knows that the pre-NYD games don't always bring out the best in teams regardless of the conference. They don't want to travel all the way to Hawaii, or it's a game sponsored by Beef O Brady. (WTF is that?)

Basically, petulant young adults are petulant about not getting to the big show. Some can suck it up, some can't. And as Kal said, if they can't, let someone who wants to be there go.

Does that affect Pac 12 teams more than teams from other conferences?

Well, the TCU game was pretty bad. Good God did our QB suck, and for those who watched the game but not the rest of our season, that punt returner has been fumbling punts FOR TWO YEARS. Gary Patterson is a fantastic coach, but he had a major failure in keeping Dawson in that spot after he proved time and time again that he didn't deserve it. He's fumbled (and lost) two and muffed several others this year.

The defense looked great, though - LBell was able to punch through to an extent (great running back, that one), but he wasn't dominant until our D was finally worn down after the offense proved unable to get a first down.

Still, it was a winning season, and next year (barring another godawful offseason like the last) should be absolutely great.

The Hat just out-Hatted himself. :stunned:

In fairness though, the receiver on the 2nd down play was wide open but Mettenberger made an awful throw. Still, allowing Clemson to hold onto all three of its timeouts? Just dumb football strategy and an unnecessary gamble.

Thank God I had to work today, so I missed the latest Trojan embarrassment. I think this quote from Homer aptly sums up the 2012 Trojans:

" that team sure did suck...they just plain sucked! I've seen teams suck before, but they were the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked!"

PAC-12 not looking so good this bowl season.

Archived