Are there any books that focus almost entirely on dialogue/banter?

Sansa_Stark

Not actually SFF, but Enough Is Too Much Already by Jan Mark is 100% dialogue between three nerdy teenagers and is very funny. (Jan Mark needs more love, her SF is fantastic)

Red Shift by Alan Garner sounds like what you are looking for. Garner's use of dialogue instead of narration to drive the story is amazing and really just blew me away... though, I will admit that despite being very much in awe of the writing, I am not overly fond of the book because the story failed to really click for me.

Maybe something by Manuel Puig, I think there are some English translations of his works.

Not in the last twenty years, but Jack Vance's Dying Earth (especially the Cugel books) are awesome in terms of witty banter and dialogue.

I concur - Eyes of the Overworld and Cugel's Saga are both built on witty dialogue.

The Road by Cormac McCarthy focuses almost entirely on dialogue between a father and his son in a post-apocalyptic landscape (I wouldn't call it banter though).

Thanks for the recs guys.

Is there anything that focuses more on banter/chemistry between a man and a woman.

Think Spice and Wolf/Monogatari for those of you who know anime.

Thanks for the recs guys.

Is there anything that focuses more on banter/chemistry between a man and a woman.

Think Spice and Wolf/Monogatari for those of you who know anime.

I second the 'read a play' suggestion (but with no snark intended). For witty banter Much Ado About Nothing or Betrayal by Harold Pinter.

Purple and Black by KJ Parker is told entirely through letters between two friends with no novel prose at all, that might be a little different then what your looking for since letters aren't dialog per se but it is an excellent book that focuses on a pseudo Byzantine Empire and the death of youthful ideas to pragmatic reality.

Archived