Am I the only one that doesn't see Jon trying to take the throne?

zeppelincheetah

Everyone has the own idea of what this or that character "should" or "shouldn't" do, which is why a lot of people are bound to be disappointed however the story turns out.

Some think Jon will be on the Iron Throne, and some think he should remain Lord Commander of the Night's watch, because they 'don't like' the Iron Throne, and that somehow makes it "bad storytelling" if Jon is on it at the end. Some think he should be King of the North and Westeros should be seven independent kingdoms. Some think he'll marry Dany, and some think he should marry Val, because they find Dany annoying and Val is "way hot".

Ultimately whatever happens will be in service to the story and characters, not our personal prejudices. I don't know whether Jon will sit the throne at the end, but I think making a challenge for it when he learns his true heritage is a definite possibility, and true to the character. He's had a lord's education, and he's shown ambition and strong leadership qualities. Furthermore, he at first expressed disillusionment with the Night's Watch, and resentment towards Ned for not telling him the truth of it. How will we react when he finds out Ned lied to him about far more then that?

Some people think he'll still be "Ned's son". I guess that's a possibility, but it's also possible that everything he's done up to this point has been motivated by the belief he is Ned' bastard, and when that turns out to not be the case, it will trigger an identity crisis and a massive shift in his personality. Maybe his "duty" to the Night's watch won't seem so important anymore. After all, the man who taught him the importance of duty also let him go through life believing he was a bastard outcast.

There are a number of possibilities. Could be Jon seizes the throne and uses his power to forcibly unite the realm against the Others, becoming a tyrant in the eyes of the realm but "doing what is necessary" from the perspective of the reader. Could also be that he and Dany are destined to fight the Others and have nothing to do with the throne. Either one makes sense in the context of the story and that's ultimately what matters.

it's also possible that everything he's done up to this point has been motivated by the belief he is Ned' bastard, and when that turns out to not be the case, it will trigger an identity crisis and a massive shift in his personality. Maybe his "duty" to the Night's watch won't seem so important anymore. After all, the man who taught him the importance of duty also let him go through life believing he was a bastard outcast.

Could be Jon seizes the throne and uses his power to forcibly unite the realm against the Others

you see its this that I find hard to believe. He may be angry but why would he suddenly identify with the Targs ?

and secondly how is Jon going to seize the throne ? what forces does he command ?

Some people think he'll still be "Ned's son". I guess that's a possibility, but it's also possible that everything he's done up to this point has been motivated by the belief he is Ned' bastard, and when that turns out to not be the case, it will trigger an identity crisis and a massive shift in his personality. Maybe his "duty" to the Night's watch won't seem so important anymore. After all, the man who taught him the importance of duty also let him go through life believing he was a bastard outcast.

This is a very good point actually.

you see its this that I find hard to believe. He may be angry but why would he suddenly identify with the Targs ?

and secondly how is Jon going to seize the throne ? what forces does he command ?

I see a number of reasons he might. Maybe he doesn't truly 'identify' with them, but chooses to press his claim to the throne nonetheless, either because it will help him in the war against the Others, or because, frankly, he wants to be king. I don't consider that as implausible as some here might. He joined the Night's Watch because he wanted to rise high and there was no other way for a 'bastard' to do so. When he finds out just how high he could have risen had he been told the truth, he might be a tad resentful.

I also find it plausible he would identify with the Targs. A revelation as traumatic as discovering his true heritage could significantly alter his perception of himself. Especially if he finds out what kind of person Rhaegar was (or appeared to be to the general populace), and the lengths Rhaegar went to in order to ensure his birth and safety, he might prefer the father who 'wanted' him to be born rather then the father who let him believe his birth was a mistake.

As for what forces he could muster. If Aegon turns out to be fake, or is proclaimed to be fake, Targaryen loyalists like Jon Connington might rally around a true son of Rhaegar, and the North would rally around Robb Stark's heir. I know there's tonnes of "IFs" here, but it's not like these possibilities aren't supported by multiple theories around here.

Yep, there's a little known story where this guy is named Aragorn....

Tolkien's Aragorn was actually quite entitled and ambitious. Jackson played the "reluctant king" card because it helped audiences relate to him, but it was quite out of character.

So you think Dany would believe R+L=J because of some visions she saw but not Aegon despite the fact that he has actual evidence to prove his claim?

So believable isn't it?

None of this makes sense:

1. What does Jon know about ruling

2. There is no logical explanation as to why she'd believe him and not Aegon

3. If I was Dany and someone told me there's some Northern bastard up in the Wall whose claiming to be Rhaegar's son I'd either brush him off as a crazy man or execute him for treason.

4. Her believing Aegon is helluva lot more realistic than her believing Jon

5. No offence but everything you wrote sounds more like wishful thinking than a realistic ending to ASOIAF.

I think when she hears of Aegon she's going to instantly disbelieve it because of the same vision sequence. Twice she's heard about the mummer's dragon. And she will most likely question why Illyrio hid him from her and Viserys. With Jon at least she has made specific reference to Rhaegar putting aside Elia for another child with Lyanna. Dany also seems to let herself be guided by prophecy so somehow she might learn about Jon that way instead of someone just telling her.

What evidence does Aegon have besides the golden company backing him and Valyrian looks which are still very present in Essos?

The topic of Jon ruling has to include Dany somehow, just as it will include all claimants, so I'm just piecing together a scenario where Dany figures out Jon's parentage before he does. Otherwise, how does he find out? No one at the wall can tell him besides Bran. It's more speculative thinking than wishful thinking.

I agree. As one of my favorite characters, I want Jon to stay as far away from the Iron Throne as possible. I don't think anyone pursuing that thing will survive the series.

Maybe Jon has the IT destroyed and takes the Nightfort for the new seat of power in Westeros.

If Jon does become King then Tormund Giantsbane better be on his small council.

I would genuinely hate it if Jon gets the throne, the logic behind it irks me because George is basically saying "fuck it" to all the politics, ambition, scheming, lies deception etc. :stillsick:

1. Who in their right mind would believe R+L=J?!

2. We have a chick with dragons and a dude with an army; if Jon had a brain he'd keep his mouth shut

3. Why would anyone give Jon the throne? It doesn't serve the better interests of any of the major players and is one of the most overused fantasy cliches in existence.

4. What does Jon know about ruling and politics? We've already had four incompetent kings, there's no need for another one

You can't compare Stannis to Jon Snow; Stannis is Westeros' ideal monarch, Jon isn't.

Ideal monarch? How is that? He lets his red preistess destroy all other gods. Why would a kingdom of people want someone for king who mocks their faith?

I don't ultimately have an opinion on whether or not Jon will end up "ruling" anything. First of all, we aren't even sure if he's alive; of course, I THINK that he is, but it's not a certainty. IMO, Jon will be gravely injured by the stabbings, but he'll wind up surviving because either:

1. Mel uses some red witch sorcery and saves him OR

2. Val knows some old god magic and/or basic healing techniques and saves him.

I don't foresee him becoming an "UnJon" or living on in Ghost exclusively (although temporarily warging into Ghost may save him).

If Jon lives, it would seem out of character for him to pursue ruling or for him to forsake his NW vows. Although he has broken his vows before with Ygritte, I can't see him leaving the NW even IF he finds out that he is Lyanna and Rhaegar's son (a theory that I believe but that isn't yet proven). There are so many obstacles in the way of Jon ever ruling that I don't see it happening. However, if that's the ending that Martin wants, I'm confident that he will be able to pull it off realistically.

I think when she hears of Aegon she's going to instantly disbelieve it because of the same vision sequence. Twice she's heard about the mummer's dragon.

What makes you think she wouldn't believe Jon's the mummer's dragon? A lot more believable don't you think.

And she will most likely question why Illyrio hid him from her and Viserys.

Don't put all your eggs in one basket, Varys would have all of this planned. If he wants her to believe Aegon's the real deal then she'll believe he's the real deal.

With Jon at least she has made specific reference to Rhaegar putting aside Elia for another child with Lyanna.

What reference would this be exactly? Because all I can see is a Northern bastard, whose been seen as the usurper's dog's bastard all this time, has no connections and no one to back his claim. I don't think Dany's dumb enough to fall for something that weak.

Dany also seems to let herself be guided by prophecy so somehow she might learn about Jon that way instead of someone just telling her.

So you're going back to your original theory; Jon can only get the IT through cliche, unrealistic and bad writing?

What evidence does Aegon have besides the golden company backing him and Valyrian looks which are still very present in Essos?

What Aegon has:

Silver hair

Purple eyes

Jon Connington

Dorne

An army

Stormsend

Varys

Connections

What Jon has:

Stark features

No connections

No men

A ludicrous story with no evidence

Obviously only an idiot wouldn't realise Aegon's a fake and Jon's telling the truth.

The topic of Jon ruling has to include Dany somehow,

Or maybe Jon doesn't rule at all because this is ASOIAF not LotR and Jon isn't Aragon

just as it will include all claimants, so I'm just piecing together a scenario where Dany figures out Jon's parentage before he does.

Otherwise, how does he find out? No one at the wall can tell him besides Bran. It's more speculative thinking than wishful thinking.

Why would he need anyone other than Howland and Bran? Howland was at the ToJ and Bran backs him up. Unfortunately this is flimsy evidence and no one would believe Jon, which is why you've come up with the idea that Dany will find out.

So basically what you wrote isn't speculation, it's a wishful attempt at trying to find a way of everyone believing R+L=J?

Ideal monarch? How is that? He lets his red preistess destroy all other gods. Why would a kingdom of people want someone for king who mocks their faith?

Good luck w/ that, you'll never convince the stan fans that having a king nobody wants w/ no sense of mercy and a questionable moral compass might not be best for the realm

As to the OP, I think the story has been written so well regarding Jon Snow that at this point it truly could go either way and still make sense for his character. He could stay w/ the NW after realizing that his vows are sacred and his duty is to the realm. He could take Winterfell if the terms aren't that he has to sacrifice his old gods to do it and it's offered again. He could sit the IT because of what he learned of Aemon and the consequences of passing up that opportunity to serve the realm.

I'm more excited for the ride vs the destination.

I do not think he would take or want the Throne. Idk what R+L=J (once exposed) will do to his personality/ambition/goals... But I don't see him as anything more than instrumental in the war against the Others, helping to protect the North, and continuing on as LC.

Archived