Is there any doubt about {F}aegon?

Jslay427

After several rereads and listens to Dance I think we can list aegon being fake almost as sure as R+L=J. Certainly more then Tyrion being a Targ bastard.

We have the prophecy as the most iron clad proof (mummers dragon), and another point that I look at is Ilyrio's demeanor when parting with Tyrion. Ilyrio gives Haldon and Duck candied ginger to give to Aegon, and looks almost sad according to Tyrion. I believe that Ilyrio is aegons father, who found his silver haired blackfyre in a pillow house in Lys. Makes perfect sense that the daughter of an exiled Blackfyre would need to whore herself out in order to make ends meet. She doesn't have a sword to sell after all. Being a Blackfyre, Aegon would be a black dragon, as many already know. In feast Doran presses an onyx (black) dragon cyvasse piece into Ariannes hand. We know that Doran sent her to treat with Aegon and co, and many believe that Aegon and Dorne will make up the black dragons, while the other dragon (Dany) will make up the white dragons, I only say white because of the cyvasse colors, black vs white.

I know much of this is already surmised but I wanted to see how many of you agree/disagree with this theory, and if you think it's ironclad.

I think he's fake, but I think it'd be much more interesting if he wasn't. I'd like to see how Dany would react, all she ever wanted was her house in Bravos, now she's become fixated on her power, would she be able to let it go? That strikes me as a much more interesting storyline than, oh he's fake, off with his head!

I think he's fake, but I think it'd be much more interesting if he wasn't. I'd like to see how Dany would react, all she ever wanted was her house in Bravos, now she's become fixated on her power, would she be able to let it go? That strikes me as a much more interesting storyline than, oh he's fake, off with his head!

What if he's fake but she believes he is real and still decides to take the throne to herself? Don't you think that would be an interesting story?

Just need to say, the whole "mummers dragon" thing is irrelevant to Aegon being a false Targaryen. All that it means is that a "dragon" is being controlled by someone else.

A mummers dragon is a puppet.

This is possible, but I find Varys being a former mummer kind of an important parrot his backstory...

There is no doubt that certain ambiguity exists when his identity is in question, plus overwhelming evidence that refute the boy's claim. Then there is entire thing that no one from Westeros was with his from the first day he was saved, the ludicrous story about how he was saved, and the idea that Elia held to fake boy while her daughter was missing, the the entire foreshadowing... All in all, I have to say that there is only one "proof" that he is who he says he is - his word, and that there are overwhelming pieces of evidence to suggest that he is fake.

I firmly believe that YG is not Rhaegar's son and is actually a Blackfyre. IMO, there is more than enough textual evidence to suggest that YG is not who he says he is; Dany's HoTU vision, Moqorro's vision, Quaithe's warning, Elder Brother's story, GC suddenly breaking a contract, Illyrio's "writ in blood" comment concerning the GC and Varys paying off the tanner with arbor gold.

What makes this more intriguing is that it would appear that YG truly believes himself to be Rhaegar's son and JC certainly believes it. I think that a showdown between Dany and YG is virtually guaranteed and GRRM has alluded to a DoD 2.0.

Edit. spelling

What if he's fake but she believes he is real and still decides to take the throne to herself? Don't you think that would be an interesting story?

Yeah that would be interesting, but I don't see it happening. What I see happening is Dany being cool with it, then finding out and deposing him.

My guess is that GRRM will never tell us if he is fake. Eveything that will go down will happen without this question being answered. He was raised to belive he is Aegon so that is who he is, real or not. And to quote one of my favorite Sci-Fi shows of all time "Prophecy is a poor guide to the future"

I've thought he was fake from my first read of ADwD but am glad that the conundrum persists. It would be almost boring to know for sure. Since JonCon and fAegon believe he's really Rhaegar's son, I can't help but wonder what their reactions would be if they found out incontrovertibly that the boy is not really Aegon. Probably JonCon would be crushed, especially if he learned about the mummery used by Varys and Illyrio. At first the boy would be crushed too, but if he really is a Blackfyre he would probably get on with the Blackfyre effort to take the Iron Throne.

I agree that most of the evidence supports Aegon being a Blackfyre, but I leave room for being wrong.

To me the more interesting part is the fact that he seems to truly believe is he Aegon Targaryen, son of Rhaegar. So what happens if he finds out he is a Blackfyre and not a Targaryen? Does he automatically decide to take up the Blackfyre mantle and become king, or does he step aside for Dany?

I mean, he grew up thinking he was a Targaryen and believing in the rightness of the Targaryen claim. Certainly he would be aware of the existence of House Blackfyre and look at them as enemies. And he probably thinks of Rhaegar as his father and probably his hero.

And then there is Jon Con, who is essentially his dad through adoption. Jon Con at least viewed Rhaegar as his best friend (if he wasn't flat out in love with him). So I cannot imagine Jon Con would stand by and let Aegon take the throne from Dany, the last of Rhaegar's family line. And if Aegon loved Jon Con as a dad, which we can assume he did, having been raised by him, why would he betray that?

The clean solution to this would be to have Aegon and Dany marry, rejoin the two lines, and use their combined power to wipe out everyone in their way. But that just seems too simple, and leaves out the possibility of a certain real son of Rhaegar's showing up...

My feeling is that it's going to end badly for him, whether he's fake or not.

It may end up being one of those situations where it gets left to the reader to decide whether he's fake or not, but he may as well be for all the good being the rightful heir returned will do him in the end, IMO. I'm betting on him getting roasted by dragons.

Archived