If after all of Varys' scheming and plotting to get Aegon...

Broken Fox

On the Iron Throne, wouldn't it be great if Aegon just had him executed and thrown away like garbage? Completely unaware that this was the man responsible for his crown. It would be a fitting end for the character I think.

Aegon: Did you serve The Usurper?

Varys: Well, yes, but-

Aegon: OFF WITH HIS HEAD!

Varys: Dude...

I think we're going to see Varys and Jon Connington live long enough to realize that their handcrafted ruler is developing a mind of his own. Toward the end of Dance, we already see the signs of an Aegon who is increasingly eager to take the reins of power for himself with his gift of a white cloak to Duck and his desire to lead the attack on Storm's End.

All that careful preparation and grooming isn't going to be worth much if the boy doesn't listen. And from what we've seen of teenage rulers in ASOIAF, brash teenage rulers don't have a very impressive track record. Sure, they can make a splash, but they don't have the wisdom and experience to give their reigns longevity. Aegon appears headed down that road. He's a smart kid with a lot of educational and experiential advantages, but he still young and in need of good counsel.

Aegon will likely be Martin's foray into showing how even a theoretically perfect candidate to be a ruler/leader of men can fall short. Varys's speech at the end of Dance essentially promotes Aegon as the perfect dude to lead, but it won't work as he (or Jon Connington) thinks.

they do?

So long as they [spiders, the conversation is referring to Varys the Spider] keep to themselves we let them spin their little webs, but if they get underfoot we step on them."

Arya's nickname is Arya Underfoot. I think she may pose as one of Varys's little birds.

• 10 months later...

Jon Connington knows Varys is in on the plot and has been vital to their mission, even if he doesn't trust him 100%. I don't see why he would let Aegon execute him for that particular reason...plus it's not like he's Danying it up with the whole "Userper's Dogs!"

Archived