What is the silliest debate?

Fanless Mace

What ASOIAF topics that are really minuscule and relatively unimportant do you find discussed to death here? What topic(s) have WAY too much conversation relative to their importance?

Conversely...what topics do you find are never discussed here but perhaps should be?

I enjoy the presence of all the discussions even when I'm not interested in the particulars. They all go into us being the crazyfunstew that we are, and we'd be diminished without them.

The closest I'd come to is that I don't enjoy the casual discussion/debate of who 'deserves' death, suffering, horror. I am not sure how and why these are treated differently than the gross 'deserves rape' idea. I don't think adding a sexual element adds to the immorality of the concept in any way.

But my objections there are moral and/ or creep me out-ness, not interest.

The closest I'd come to is that I don't enjoy the casual discussion/debate of who 'deserves' death, suffering, horror. I am not sure how and why these are treated differently than the gross 'deserves rape' idea. I don't think adding a sexual element adds to the immorality of the concept in any way.

I agree so much with these.

Claiming that a character who continuously hurts or murders others deserves a death sencence is something I can still comprehend, but no one deserves to be tortured. It's extremely disturbing to see people say a character 'deserves' to be sent to Qyburn or Ramsay.

"Is [undeniably dead character] really dead?"

Alternately, it seems like roughly half of the 1846 characters in the series might be lost/babyswapped Targaryens. The other half are impersonating Targaryens.

EDIT: Wait, forgot the even sillier ones: Dragons everywhere. Dragons in the fires at Winterfell. Dragons inside the Wall. Dragons under Winterfell, Stone Dragons, Shadow Dragons (mentioned in prophecy, so they have to exist, even though they've never ever been alluded to!), Ice Dragons, Water Dragons, Tree Dragons, Ghost Dragons, Undead Dragons... heck, apparently there are more kinds of dragons than there are Pokémon types. And they are hidden under every single mysterious place in Westeros. Remember, if Martin hasn't expressively denied the presence of a dragon in the scene in question, there probably is one!

........The closest I'd come to is that I don't enjoy the casual discussion/debate of who 'deserves' death, suffering, horror. I am not sure how and why these are treated differently than the gross 'deserves rape' idea. I don't think adding a sexual element adds to the immorality of the concept in any way. ........

This!

And yet the topic "rape" in its not-being-discussed takes ten times as much space in these forums as any other form of torture and violence, a gross prurient hipocrisy.

Why is it ok to pronounce ugly death wishes towards a character posters dislike while linking characters to sexual torture or sex that does not go along with some posters sensibilities is wrong?

It goes against my apparently overly tender sensibilities to read that posters gleefully wish a horrible death, mutilation, beheading and disease down on characters they hate with passion for whatever reason.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement"

Gandalf

Characters being guilty of deaths/situations in which they weren't given any choice: Dany being guilty of Viserys' death, Sansa of Ned's...

Sansa debate isn't silly. She definitely had a choice whether to betray her family for Joffrey's "love". Dany had no choice, i agree, Viserys drew steel.

Probably the silliest debate I've seen is the amount of importance put on the line "Only Cat". Seriously, I don't get the love for that particular line.

Things that could be debated more? What exactly is greyscale, where did it come from and why are its victims considered unclean? I think that might make an interesting debate.

The whole 'Pick Your Dream Kingsguard' class of topics. Another is people arguing not based on script but personal convictions and 'foreshadowing'. I don't think it's very possible to pick out what is foreshadowing and what is not. I'm not saying there is no foreshadowing

The whole 'Pick Your Dream Kingsguard' class of topics. Another is people arguing not based on script but personal convictions and 'foreshadowing'. I don't think it's very possible to pick out what is foreshadowing and what is not. I'm not saying there is no foreshadowing

I agree.

The problem with foreshadowing is that you can only recognise it after the events that were foreshadowed have happened. It can only be seen in hindsight. If it can be seen miles away, then it's not foreshadowing, it's a big flashy neon sign. I have no problem when people discuss foreshadowing on these terms; my problem is when they pick a series of elements in the stories, call them foreshadowing and start predicting what is going to happen next based on it.

"Why X doesn't act according to 21th Century standards?".

Or how I call it, "why character from a story inspired in medieval times acts medieval?"

This annoys the crap out of me.

People bring up morality in a time without morales. Logic at it's finest.

Archived