Fashion - for The Children edition

Fragile Bird

Does anyone here follow trends? I do not, I just wear what I like. And normally, that's great. I don't worry whether or not other people like it. But here's the dumb thing which makes no sense and reveals that I actually do care what people think. Sometimes the things I like are trendy, or used to be. And I get self conscious about wearing something when I think other people will think I'm trying to be stylish, or wearing something that is now out of style but used to be popular. If I don't avoid things because nobody else is doing it, I shouldn't avoid things because everyone else is doing it. Being authentic is hard. :laugh:

Thanks Angalin. The daily fail is right on this. I've especially noticed it at Brooks Brothers: declining quality and shirts all made in Malaysia rather than US. The sticker price is $120 but they are always on sale for $70. All three that ripped at my arm/elbow as I stretched were from Brooks and were ~3 years old. (any given shirt of mine is worn 10-20 times per year).

The flip side of this short life span is that after 30-40 wearings, aluminum-based antiperspirant starts to discolor the underarm anyway so it's not feasible to keep them for much longer if they were not fraying.

I had a couple of shirts custom made by my tailor but at $150-180 per, it felt too expensive because the cut was not dramatically better. And the better quality cotton he used actually suffers worse from shrinkage. The cancerous chemically-treated non-iron cotton is poorer quality but doesn't shrink.

Does anyone here follow trends? I do not, I just wear what I like. And normally, that's great. I don't worry whether or not other people like it. But here's the dumb thing which makes no sense and reveals that I actually do care what people think. Sometimes the things I like are trendy, or used to be. And I get self conscious about wearing something when I think other people will think I'm trying to be stylish, or wearing something that is now out of style but used to be popular. If I don't avoid things because nobody else is doing it, I shouldn't avoid things because everyone else is doing it. Being authentic is hard. :laugh:

I'll give a nod to a trend every once in a while. At least I think I do. I wearing a popular color going along with a trend? I recently bought a few coral-colored items - mainly because the color looks pretty good on me, but it's also very popular right now.

But as for style or cut, I'll go out of my way to buy what I know flatters my shape and to hell with the trend. Like short jackets have been popular for a while. Well, a long, fitted jacket looks best on my long waist. I may not be in fashion, but I don't give a damn.

In short, if the trend works for me, I'll go for it. If not, phbbbbttttt!

Eta: @Isk: Yes! I've noticed the drop-off in quality at brands that used to be known for it. And also, inconsistent sizing. You never know how something's going to fit you anymore - this applies, obviously to things ordered online.

Lower quality, yet higher prices = disgusted and disillusioned customers.

I have a pair of black heels which look basically like these and are tired; so tired that my feet hurt after wearing them. Right now they're the only pair of work-ish shoes that I have: I have a couple of pairs of funky Fluevogs but they're not ... respectable is the wrong word. Office-y enough? I looked at some black t-strap heels and some subtly-coloured mary janes, but what I really want is a pair of heels that I can wear with jeans or to a funeral. Not necessarily black, although that would probably be the most serviceable colour (zzzzz).

Basic criteria:

- 2" - 3" heel

- not a wedge

- not a stiletto

- closed toe

- closed heel

- neutral colour (pref. not beige)

- some personality (discreetly charming rather than Carmen Miranda, say)

- would pay extra for something that fits well and will last

[eta: these are interesting although I wonder if the colour would look outdated in three years (I'm ignoring the price for the sake of giving you an example of what I mean)]

Any suggestions on appropriate styles, labels or colours would be appreciated. I also need a new pair of sneakers; Adidas Gazelles are hard to find right now, irritatingly.

I have a pair of black heels which look basically like these and are tired; so tired that my feet hurt after wearing them. Right now they're the only pair of work-ish shoes that I have: I have a couple of pairs of funky Fluevogs but they're not ... respectable is the wrong word. Office-y enough? I looked at some black t-strap heels and some subtly-coloured mary janes, but what I really want is a pair of heels that I can wear with jeans or to a funeral. Not necessarily black, although that would probably be the most serviceable colour (zzzzz).

Basic criteria:

- 2" - 3" heel

- not a wedge

- not a stiletto

- closed toe

- closed heel

- neutral colour (pref. not beige)

- some personality (discreetly charming rather than Carmen Miranda, say)

- would pay extra for something that fits well and will last

[eta: these are interesting although I wonder if the colour would look outdated in three years (I'm ignoring the price for the sake of giving you an example of what I mean)]

Any suggestions on appropriate styles, labels or colours would be appreciated. I also need a new pair of sneakers; Adidas Gazelles are hard to find right now, irritatingly.

I searched with your criteria and the picture you shared as an example of something you like and, try Zappos.com for the following Brand - Style:

El Naturalista - Colibri N466 (almost exactly the one you shared, same brand, slightly different style)

Miz Mooz - Joni

Miz Mooz - Janie

Fitzwell - Mystic

Aerosoles - Role of Fate

taos Footwear - Angel

Clarks - Crumble Berry

Camper - Myriam

Ecco -Sculptured 75 T-strap

Bella-Vita - Zeta

Naot Footwear - Latest

Clarks - Orla Bibi

Spring Step - Jardin

Repetto - Baya

Anyi Lu - Stefania2

There are so many basic looking pumps but these were ones I thought you would actually like, and wear, based on the other two.

Zappos is expensive but you get free shipping and returns, so you could just try them to get an idea of what you like. Then, even if you do love them, sometimes you can end up finding the exact same shoe somewhere else cheaper.

If you find this Holy Grail of shoe, please let me know. I had a pair of Steve Madden pumps that disappeared a few years ago. They were a classic black 4" block heel, but conservative enough to wear to either office or funeral and they fit me like a pair of leather foot gloves.

I know you're not looking for a heel that high, but I will recommend Madden for comfort, fit and long life. It took me about a month to break them in, once I did they were my favorite shoes and I could teach in them for 12 hours and then go dancing afterwards.

I searched with your criteria and the picture you shared as an example of something you like and, try Zappos.com for the following Brand - Style:

El Naturalista - Colibri N466 (almost exactly the one you shared, same brand, slightly different style)

Miz Mooz - Joni

Miz Mooz - Janie

Fitzwell - Mystic

Aerosoles - Role of Fate

taos Footwear - Angel

Clarks - Crumble Berry

Camper - Myriam

Ecco -Sculptured 75 T-strap

Bella-Vita - Zeta

Naot Footwear - Latest

Clarks - Orla Bibi

Spring Step - Jardin

Repetto - Baya

Anyi Lu - Stefania2

There are so many basic looking pumps but these were ones I thought you would actually like, and wear, based on the other two.

Zappos is expensive but you get free shipping and returns, so you could just try them to get an idea of what you like. Then, even if you do love them, sometimes you can end up finding the exact same shoe somewhere else cheaper.

Thanks, that's very helpful! Although I now realize that heels shorter than 3" look odd to me. Bring on the stilts! ;) The heel on this one doesn't look that high, but it says it's 3.5".

Sadly the Zappos Canadian site was discontinued a few years ago. Checking out ShoeMe.ca and a few other places now.

The only real solution is to just buy an obscene number of shoes and always keep an extra pair in your purse, another few at the office, some in the car. There is no one great pair, it doesn't exist. Better to have a fleet at the ready.

If you find this Holy Grail of shoe, please let me know. I had a pair of Steve Madden pumps that disappeared a few years ago. They were a classic black 4" block heel, but conservative enough to wear to either office or funeral and they fit me like a pair of leather foot gloves.

I know you're not looking for a heel that high, but I will recommend Madden for comfort, fit and long life. It took me about a month to break them in, once I did they were my favorite shoes and I could teach in them for 12 hours and then go dancing afterwards.

These are 4" high and come in colours from funeral to wedding. I've seen them in a shop here and am nervous about trying them on in case I can't resist them.

These Mary Janes from Ecco were recommended by Lily upthread - (I found it independently too! which means if two of us like it, it has to be good. :P )

http://us.shop.ecco.com/sale-women-shoes/ecco-sculptured-75-t-strap-242743.html?kpid=2427435105239&gclid=CMad1NbwgMYCFdMYHwodoDEA4Q

These are 4" high and come in colours from funeral to wedding. I've seen them in a shop here and am nervous about trying them on in case I can't resist them.

Did you HAVE TO? :goes looking for a summer job:

They're about perfect Ang, so beautiful.

These Mary Janes from Ecco were recommended by Lily upthread - (I found it independently too! which means if two of us like it, it has to be good. :P )

http://us.shop.ecco.com/sale-women-shoes/ecco-sculptured-75-t-strap-242743.html?kpid=2427435105239&gclid=CMad1NbwgMYCFdMYHwodoDEA4Q

oh, I like those quite a lot.

I am on a shoe hiatus, though. I have more than I need right and have to save for my Washington trip.

• 1 month later...

Halp!

I just found out a party I am supposed to attend tomorrow is "festive cocktail attire". I looked that up and can't find anything. The hostess said wearing lots of sequins is fine. But everything I have with a lot of sequins is meant for holiday parties and it's July. Do you think that a black sequined tank and some sort of skirt could work?

ETA: Just remembered I also have this dress but in gray. I last wore it to a fall wedding. I'm really having a hard time picturing appropriate dress for this thing.

Love the Zappos dress. Have you got some sparkly jewelry to wear?

I have never heard of an invite saying 'festive' cocktail attire.

Receiving this invite would make me want to push the fashion envelope as far as I possibly can, and I will tell you; that's pretty damn far.

Archived