Guardians of the Galaxy thread 2 ... Great movie, or best blockbuster of the decade?

Howdyphillip

X-Men: DOFP and Captain America: TWS were both superior in my opinion, I put it as fifth in the MCU.

There were some clear faults [Ronan, sometimes it went a bit too silly etc] But Gunn had a serious task, there were so many things that could have failed miserably, he handled it masterfully.

Since people are asking it a lot, I think that:

Tesseract - Space stone [they are called stones here for some reason] - This is confirmed.

Aether - Reality stone - Since it's threat was to revert all of reality into dark matter.

Orb - Power - Confirmed

There's a theory that Loki's staff was the mind gem, I used to think that, but I now think that it's unlikely Thanos would entrust it to Loki, plus it wasn't that powerful. More likely it was as stated, powered by the Tesseract and Loki used it to channel his own magical abilities.

I expect we should see the soul gem in Dr Strange, time in Age of Ultron [we know Iron Man stands around corpses of the Avengers, it's most likely there will be a time rewind].

I doubt Ant-man will have one.

Well, my 11-year-old son thought it was the best movie he had ever seen.

I liked it better than the other MCU movies except for Iron Man and Cap 2, right on par with Avengers.

It was just a whole bundle of fun. Nitpicking, I agree that Ronan was not really up to snuff (he's got so much more going on in the comics). And while I usually love Zoe Saldana, I thought her Gamora wasn't quite bad-assed enough (showing fear when confronted by Drax, getting flustered by Quill). You should never see Gamora sweat. This was probably a directorial decision, but it still erked just a bit.

There's a theory that Loki's staff was the mind gem, I used to think that, but I now think that it's unlikely Thanos would entrust it to Loki, plus it wasn't that powerful. More likely it was as stated, powered by the Tesseract and Loki used it to channel his own magical abilities.

I got nothing to explain how the scepter getting powered by the Tesseract can be explained, but I can see Thanos lending the Mind Gem out if it meant securing another gem. Sometimes you gotta go all in so that you can get a big return on the investment. Thanos is pragmatic enough to know you need to think about endgame. He's definitely not The Collector, whom would definitely be more possessive.

Thanos scoffed at Ronan when Ronan defected, almost like he didn't care about Ronan stealing the Power Gem. He knew how it would end. I just get the impression Thanos is moving chess pieces around, isolating each gem, so that he can swoop in later, taking it all en masse.

Also, the scepter seems to be powerful, independent of the Tesseract and Loki. Strucker seems to be using it as effectively as Loki did, and Strucker is human.

If the three villains hadn't been so one-dimensional and underdeveloped, it would probably have been the best Marvel movie.

By your logic, Darth Vader and Grand Moff Tarkin were one-dimensional and underdeveloped in Star Wars as we didn't have a clue what their true motivations were, or what was their origin . We had the same kind of screen time with Ronan and Nebula. As a matter of fact, there was even much deeper revelations about them as what we got about the villains in the original Star Wars movie.

This was far and away the best Marvel movie, and that is saying a lot because Marvel is leaps and bounds better than any other comic movie making franchise.

I really wish Image would sign a deal with a studio or create their own to adapt their works. They've had a lot of stuff adapted obviously, but it'd be cool to see it all under one umbrella like DC/Warner and Marvel/Disney.

I'd love to see a proper Walking Dead done on the big screen. The show is so awful and really suffers from having to be interesting for 16 hours every season. It would have been so much better as a movie series.

I'd also love to see East of West, Saga, Ghosted, Black Science, Fatale, Locke & Key, and Y The Last Man.

Very fun movie and one of the better Marvel films easily.

As for the Marvel Cinematic Universe taking risks...well, not really. They don't even have the guts to kill off a tertiary character like Agent Coulson. Resurrecting dead, minor characters for no reason other than they have a cult following...that's hack writing. They have greenlit some unusual titles (such as this one) but nothing of consequence ever happens to these characters. There is no dramatic tension when everyone is invincible.

By your logic, Darth Vader and Grand Moff Tarkin were one-dimensional and underdeveloped in Star Wars as we didn't have a clue what their true motivations were, or what was their origin . We had the same kind of screen time with Ronan and Nebula. As a matter of fact, there was even much deeper revelations about them as what we got about the villains in the original Star Wars movie.

Why are you holding up A New Hope villains as something to be compared to? They are terrible just as Ronan and Thanos are. Vader just also happens to be much more sinister in voice, look, and attitude then any of the GotG villains.

Also are you trying to imply that had Vader and Tarkin been more fleshed out New Hope would be the best of the Star Wars movies?

Yondu wasn't a flat character. He was clearly much more fond of Peter than he was willing to admit to his men, or Peter.

Yondu definitely was one of the more interesting characters in the movie (And markedly better than his comic book counterpart, yeesh), even if he was just a blue Merle Dixon.

I don't remember where I read this today, but I completely agreed with it.

Dancing baby Groot, and Groot in general, had more heart, characterization, and fun in one moment than DC has had in 20 years of films and comics.

I tend to agree. I got really weird glassy eyes when Groot grew the flower for the little girl. I'm even doing it now typing this, jesus.

I've never been a comics book person, nor am I a huge movies person, and the trailers for this didn't really pique my interest, but it was getting such good buzz all over the internets that I had to see it for myself. I ended up really liking it.

The saddest damn intro since Up. If you can make me cry 2 minutes into a movie about characters I don't even know yet ( :crying: okay I cry more easily than most, but still), and then the callbacks to that also make me cry, you're probably doing something right. I also found it funny, plenty of laugh out loud moments which is always fun.

The story was easy to follow for a newb, even if I was confused at the beginning because the trailers had made Gamora look like a good guy. Ha. I honestly didn't even realize the Grax guy was supposed to be one of them. Clearly I do not pay close attention to movie posters. Chris Pratt did fine, but I can't NOT see chubby, doofus Andy. Ripped Chris Pratt is weird and confusing and looks like photoshop (even though I know he worked his ass off to get into that shape).

I didn't mind the shallowness of the villains (I don't need everyone to have a stupid sob story, I was already rolling my eyes at Gamora and Nebula and their cliched history). I was a little put off by the "lovable outlaws that save everybody" aspect, because I think it has been done to death and back and then to death again, but not the worst thing ever. I also found it to be a little long. By the time they were

trying to escape Nebula in the pods

I started to get a little restless and wonder when they were going to wrap it up. But I am not hugely entertained by action sequences. Also I had to pee so bad by the end that I had to rush out as soon as the credits started. Figured I could catch the post credits scene online, but so far the only thing I can find is people talking about the damn thing. Oh well.

Overall, a fun way to spend a couple hours.

ETA:

Yondu wasn't a flat character. He was clearly much more fond of Peter than he was willing to admit to his men, or Peter.

Agreed, but

holding Peter's survival against him for decades, all while reneging a job he was hired to do and failing to inform Peter that his father had sent for him, is a hugely dick move and he showed zero remorse about it. Hope he gets some comeuppance for that.

ETA2:

Also I wanted to add that I was sick of the romance subplot before it even started.

If they go down the "womanizing smooth-talker ends up finally falling for a serious relationship" story I'm going to be even more annoyed.

I suppose it's unavoidable in a blockbuster, and at least they mixed up the Gamora ass shots with Quill ass shots.

Why are you holding up A New Hope villains as something to be compared to? They are terrible just as Ronan and Thanos are. Vader just also happens to be much more sinister in voice, look, and attitude then any of the GotG villains.

Also are you trying to imply that had Vader and Tarkin been more fleshed out New Hope would be the best of the Star Wars movies?

First of all, when I went to see the movie in 1977, it was called Star Wars. It just happened to contain the best villain in movie history.

Also, to answer your second question, yes I not only think it was the best of that franchise, I consider it the best movie ever made.

Figured I could catch the post credits scene online, but so far the only thing I can find is people talking about the damn thing. Oh well.

If, like me, you've never read the comics, I don't think you'd understand the post credits scene anyway. I certainly didn't. I think there was one person in the audience who did, because he shouted "yes!" While everyone else just looked confused.

Archived