Best Music of 2015

OnionAhaiReborn

I saw the title of this thread and said to myself 'it's time to pimp some Steven Wilson'. Looks like you beat me to it. Seriously it's hard to overstate how amazing Hand. Cannot. Erase. is.  I'd say it was the best album so far this decade if not for Wilson's other masterpiece, The Raven That Refused To Sing

I have taken it upon myself to pimp out Steven Wilson every chance I get. I take my job seriously. :)

I actually might end up liking HCE more than Raven. I'm not sure yet, but HCE has a lot more emotional resonance with me than Raven ever did. Not to dump on Raven because it is awesome, but damn is HCE good.

Seeing it live really made me appreciate the album though.

I'd heard of Porcupine Tree but never listened to anything of theirs or this guys. Been listening to The Raven That Refused To Sing at work this morning and it's fantastic. Thanks!

You're welcome. :)

Definitely give Porcupine Tree a shot when you get a chance. They have some really great music that covers the spectrum from psychedelic rock to alternative rock to metal-infused progressive rock. Very much worth your while to listen to.

The Dear Hunter - Act IV: Rebirth in Reprise

The Dear Hunter is unique on this list in that they're the only group/artist I wasn't already into before 2015. They came on my radar with the release of this latest album and the recommendation from a bunch of other Coheed fans (apparently there's a big cross over. Both proggy bands with multi-album concept stories. Makes sense.) and I got hooked pretty quickly. My favorite album of their's is actually Act II so far, but the new one is fucking awesome as well. 

Standout track: A Night on the Town

I'm still ironing out the remaining picks from my top ten, but I think this might make the list. Not sure yet. 6 through 10 are proving much harder to lock down than the top five.

Since you're a big Coheed fan, have you listened to Thank You Scientist? They toured with Coheed... last year I think. I wasn't able to get tickets quickly enough before they sold out though. Still kicking myself for that one.

You're welcome. :)

Definitely give Porcupine Tree a shot when you get a chance. They have some really great music that covers the spectrum from psychedelic rock to alternative rock to metal-infused progressive rock. Very much worth your while to listen to.

One of these days I will, it's always intimidating to go into a new artist when they've got such a massive body of work though. Hard to decide where to start :P 

I ended up listening to Hand. Cannot. Erase as well, definitely enjoying Raven more though. I like the jazzier element it's got. 

Since you're a big Coheed fan, have you listened to Thank You Scientist? They toured with Coheed... last year I think. I wasn't able to get tickets quickly enough before they sold out though. Still kicking myself for that one.

I love Thank You Scientist. First time I ever heard them was when they opened for Coheed on the IKS Neverender tour last year. Went immediately to the merch booth after their set to buy the album. Which, aside from the collector's edition Coheed sets, was the first physical copy of an album I'd bought in years. Feed The Horses is probably my favorite song of their's. 

I wish they were touring with them again next year in the States (I think they are for some of the European dates). Instead, Glassjaw. Never really been into them. I liked the lead singers other band though. Got the meet & greet pass for the Miami date though. I'm so excited :D

Chris Stapleton, Traveler - another fantastic, gritty, alt-country artist who makes real music.

Nobody to Blame

I really liked this album too, it came very close to making my list. "Fire Away" and "When the Stars Come Out" are my favorite tracks off it.

Youth lagoon - savage hills ball. Probably my favourite in the sense it was a surprise and gets better with every listen.

Villagers - darling aritmetic (excellent live show too)

Sufjan Stevens - Carrie and Lowel. Haven't fallen in love with it yet (probably a matter of time) and still solid.

Chvrches/passion pit/purity ring - all very similar in style and not their best but easy listening if you like the electro pop.

I like Youth Lagoon but didn't know he had a new album out this year. Listened to it and, imo, it's his best yet.

If you like Passion Pit I think you might like that Young Buffalo album on my list. Not electronic but still a similar bright, poppy sensibility.

Also enjoyed Alabama Shakes - Sound and Color 

Don't Wanna Fight

- the opening is just so...mmm mmm good

I discovered yesterday that Brittany Howard of the Alabama Shakes put out another album this year with a new band, Thunderbitch. Very good and I think anyone who enjoys the Alabama Shakes will like it too. Here's a good track- "Very Best Friend"

Some songs that I like...

Florence & the Machine - Ship to Wreck

Father John Misty - Chateau Lobby #4 (In C for Two Virgins)

Julia Holter - Feel You

Kendrick Lamar - King Kunta

Kurt Vile - Pretty Pimpin'

Sleater-Kinney - No Anthems

Alabama Shakes - Don't Wanna Fight (I just discovered this band, thanks for mentioning it)

My favorite metal of 2015 is here, for those of y'all so inclined.

For the rest of you, these were my favorite non-heavy releases of the year:

Riverside (progressive rock) - Love, Fear and the Time Machine:  Poland's finest eschew their metal roots entirely for a silky smooth prog rock album that hits all the right notes. Favorite Track - "Lost (Why Should I Be Frightened by a Hat?)"

Moonbound (progressive rock) - Uncomfortable News from the Moon:  People like comparisons to things they already know about, right? Imagine if Peter Gabriel traveled forward in time from the mid-70s and made a modern progressive rock album. It would sound a lot like this. Favorite Track, and my song of the year if push came to shove - "Hero & Zero"

Courtney Barnett (indie rock) - Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit:  Plenty's already been said about this album, so I won't belabor the point. It's fantastic songwriting in an infectiously charming style that never gets old. Favorite Track - "Elevator Operator"

Tough time of year for me; as this kind of stuff becomes increasingly extracurricular, I've got less and less  time right now to devote to stuff like this, as much as I love it.Just gonna plop down my list with minimal notes or descriptions. (Eta: ok not so much) Feel free (please) to ignore my drunken, unfocused post in the other best of thread. 

Roughly in order:

Courtney Barnett - Sometimes I Sit and Think, Sometimes I Just Sit

Kurt Vile - b'lieve i'm goin' down

-  Not sure there is anyone else on this list I'd consider dropping 30 odd bucks on their new LP the day itsreleased without  even hearing it. Still not quite Smoke Ring For My Halo level, but a step above the (relatively) upbeat Walkin' On A Pretty Daze (<- still fuckin awesome), I guess I'd call this "playful"... The (still somewhat understated) hammy humor, mixed with the doodle-y, meandering guitar reminiscent of old Modest Mouse. Shit, that went longer than I meant it to... Kids like listen to this album, just get ... Not caught up, but lost in it. And that's, like, ok man. 

Sleater-Kinney - No Cities To Love

Chelsea Wolfe - Abyss

Kamasi Washington - The Epic

-  Simply put, the best jazz album since the Seatbelt's recorded anything. 

Satan's Hallow - The Horror b/w Satan's Hallow

- the only single, and only overlap with my best of metal list, these two songs are just so fucking good. Including here because I think there is enough crossover appeal (Elder Sister, talkin to you)

Viet Cong - Viet Cong

Empress Of - Me

Lana Del Rey - Honeymoon

Grimes - Art Angels

- Late addition, and nearly didn't make it. I had heard rumors Grimes scrapped an earlier version of this album when it leaked and fans complained it was too poppy... Whoa, I wanna hear that cuz this shit is pop as fuck. And as much as I love a good pop record, this was a serious departure from Visions. But like any good brain parasite, a mere three listens is all it took those catchy muhfuggin earworms totally alter my perception and drive, may compel me back for more

Thee Oh Sees - Mutilator Defeated At Last

Jaime xx - In Colour

Metz - II

- fuzzy, aggressive noisy punk. Japandroids meets mclusky and 400 Blows

Weed - Running Back

Shlohmo -Dark Red

Marina & The Diamonds - Froot

Moon Duo - Shadows of the Sun

Purity Ring - Another Eternity

Helen - Original Faces

* still haven't heard, but am willing to give honorary position here: FKA Twigs - M3LL155X 

other thoughts: a lot of pretty kick ass stuff, still kind of falling short of previous efforts (Purity Ring, Moon Duo, Lana, Tame Impala especially looking at you)... Though that goes hand in hand with a lot of artists changing up their (sometimes almost trademark) sounds. Look forward to more innovation and efforts to change in the future. 

Riverside (progressive rock) - Love, Fear and the Time Machine:  Poland's finest eschew their metal roots entirely for a silky smooth prog rock album that hits all the right notes. Favorite Track - "Lost (Why Should I Be Frightened by a Hat?)"

I've always liked Riverside but never really loved them until now. This is one hell of an album. I'm a fan of progressive metal, but moving away from the metal aspect and going more for a straight up prog rock sound has taken these guys up to another level.

Riverside (progressive rock) - 

Love, Fear and the Time Machine

:  Poland's finest eschew their metal roots entirely for a silky smooth prog rock album that hits all the right notes.

Nah, they're far from being our finest, though I admit this album is really cool. 

But finest albums of 2015 in Poland are Box of Feathers by Fismoll, Sea You Later by The Dumplings or Annoyance and Disappointment by Dawid Podsiadło.

Nah, they're far from being our finest, though I admit this album is really cool. 

But finest albums of 2015 in Poland are Box of Feathers by Fismoll, Sea You Later by The Dumplings or Annoyance and Disappointment by Dawid Podsiadło.

Are any of those prog?

Then they don't count. But I guess I could give them a listen and see if they're any good anyway.

Roughly in order:

Courtney Barnett - Sometimes I Sit and Think, Sometimes I Just Sit

Kurt Vile - b'lieve i'm goin' down

Sleater-Kinney - No Cities To Love

Chelsea Wolfe - Abyss

Kamasi Washington - The Epic

Satan's Hallow - The Horror b/w Satan's Hallow

Viet Cong - Viet Cong

Empress Of - Me

Lana Del Rey - Honeymoon

Grimes - Art Angels

Thee Oh Sees - Mutilator Defeated At Last

Jaime xx - In Colour

Metz - II

Weed - Running Back

Shlohmo -Dark Red

Marina & The Diamonds - Froot

Moon Duo - Shadows of the Sun

Purity Ring - Another Eternity

Helen - Original Faces

* still haven't heard, but am willing to give honorary position here: FKA Twigs - M3LL155X 

forgot to include La Luz - Wierdo Shrine

psychedelic (damn near psychotropic) surf-y album inspired by Charles Burns' Black Hole graphic novel

Archived