Why do we love Jaime Lannister so much?

Robb_Warged

I freaking love this guy. He is my favorite POV character and so many of my favorite moments in the series include him. But he shoves a 10-year-old Bran off of a tower, intending to kill him, to cover up his dirty secret. That is such a ruthless/evil thing to do. I'm not even mad that he did that though. I think he's so cool for jumping in the bear pit to save Brienne, for murdering the mad king, for trying to walk his difficult moral road, for trying to help Sansa Stark. He's such a popular character and I can't explain why. I can't explain why I like him. I can't explain why his good deeds, seemingly make up for his murder attempt on Bran

Because it was "an attempt", besides Bran is on his road to learn to "fly" (so in a way, he he helped Bran to open his third eye).

Now why you would "pardon" his bad deeds and think his good ones are awsome : As some character analysis on the net say, Jaime was a tool, for his father and his lover/sister, and most of the things he does for/because of them are "bad deeds"= becomes a king's guard, try to avoid the shame by killing Bran, etc...

However, when he's in control, he does good deeds : Saves Brienne, saves Tyrion, speaks respectfuly about the Starks, etc...

That's all, everybody has a soft spot for the bad boy turned good.

His ASOS arc is truly one incredible read as we watched a supposed villain show that he's actually a flawed anti hero. Not to mention he's the wittiest and funniest character in the book who's now trying change his life and truly live up to what being a knight means. He is very self aware of the hypocrisy around him and he has a brutal honesty to him which is insightful and intelligent. He'll break a hollow vow to do the right thing like kill the mad king despite forever tainting his "honor."

He was a kid who dreamed to be Arthur Dayne but ended up being the Smiling Knight and worst.

There is a lot of abuse in his storyline as well. It goes unnoticed because he's a man. But he's the abused in the relationship, while Cersei is the abuser.

One of my favorite moments for him was when he burned Cersei's letter asking for help.

"arc"

what arc?

Jaime sacrificed his honor to save hole city full of people and was judged by man who was marching to attack that same city & kill god knows how many.

As young man Jaime was smarter,braver & more honorable than 10 Ned Stars,some think that pushing Bran was evil but it was only choice : 1 or 3 dead children,we all know that when it comes to killing women & children Ned & Robert had no problem with that: Rhaenys & Aegon,Elia,orders to kill Daenerys & her unborn child.

There is no big change in Jaime character: he is good from start,2 things have changed: he is getting involved in "the game" and that is only because his "father" died and due to long imprisonment his love/relationship with Cersei has declined.

Jaime is good looking & the best fighter in westeros,what's there not to like?

yes, there is issue with his "love",but in the world where "underage" sex and "family thing" are common place .... is that a problem?

If you try to think and introspect most characters are kind of assholes, Jaime certainly, maybe even more than most even with maybe some redeeming qualities. While is useful to not be delusional when someone claims some nonsense but I doubt I would enjoy these books that much if I was on judgmental mode all the time.

We enjoy Jaime because his guilt, history, dilemmas and change are all interesting. And also his dialogue and wit.

Jaime is when I knew this series was unique. I love the Starks in a big way, and when we first meet Jaime on the page, and then he gives that push? I hated him. Genuinely. I've enjoyed lovable bad guys before, but he seemed arrogant and without conscious or moral compass. A pretty package containing nothing but Cersei's reflection who, I'll remind you, pushed an 8 yr old boy out a tower window so he would die.

Now--in both the books and the show--he is one of my favorite characters. His arc was brilliantly done--his time with Brienne, the realization of all the little things he's done to protect his brother and what really happened with the Mad King--it amazes me when I reread or rewatch and remember what I initially thought of him, because that's not my Jaime *G*

I really hope he makes it to the last book and we get more of his POV.

There is no big change in Jaime character: he is good from start,2 things have changed: he is getting involved in "the game" and that is only because his "father" died and due to long imprisonment his love/relationship with Cersei has declined.

There was a big change. Before he only cared about Cersei's needs (and about Tyrion's and Tywin's as well), after the loss of his hand he finally begins to do what he himself wants to do.

That relationship was 50/50, they were both poisonous to the other.

I disagree. In this relationship's failure I blame only Cersei.

Archived