Characters whose TV versions are superior to the book versions

Aemon's counsel

Jorah. Iain Glenn, 'nuff said.

Daario. In the books he's just ridiculous but on the show Huisman is a hottie and they've toned down some the flamboyance so Dany going for him makes sense.

Cersei. She's whitewashed on the show but the changes they've made humanize her, I'm more sympathetic to her, and Lena Headey does such a great job.

Oberyn. They took an awesome character, cast Pedro Pascal, and made him even more awesome. I loved how they shifted the tone of Oberyn meeting infant Tyrion from mockery to empathy. One of the best scenes of the series.

I'm really confused. Oberyn was far better in the books. Why is everyone saying he's better in the show?

Book Oberyn was this tall, lean badass prince who did whatever he wanted. He was unpredictable, half mad and got away with it.

The show over did it with "I'm Oberyn and I like sex". They played to much into the Dornish stereotype. Pedro Pascal was good but it felt like he could be replaced if they tried hard enough.

(B)Oberyn could never be replaced

I'm surprised no-one's saying Samwell for this.

I don't necessarily think that - to be honest I need to do a re-read before I can make that decision - but I've seen it discussed in other threads, with people professing a love for show Sam which book Sam just hadn't achieved.

I figured he'd get a couple votes in this thread too.

i can't say which characters are better many are just fleshed out more...as others have said non-POV characters are all better on show since we get to see them and know them in ways we can't in books....

if forced to choose, i must say Bronn...he is funnier, more dangerous and such a perfect match for Tyrion's wit...

i am also in the camp that Charles Dance made Tywin complete for me...it wasn't that he was better than book Tywin, just perfect casting cause his evil eye stare could not have been done better

I don't necessarily think that. To be honest I need to do a re-read before I can make that decision. But I've seen it discussed in other threads, with people professing a love for show Sam which book Sam just hadn't achieved.

I'm with you. Book Sam is my least favorite character in the whole series - just a pathetic blubbering caricature. Show Sam gives the character a real pathos and sense of humor - I think the actor has done a great job with him.

I don't necessarily think that - to be honest I need to do a re-read before I can make that decision - but I've seen it discussed in other threads, with people professing a love for show Sam which book Sam just hadn't achieved.

Agreed, Show Sam is pretty awesome.

It's a tough list. Most seem to be characters that get scant attention in the books because they're not POV's, but in the show can even have scenes that the book never did.

Varys

Osha

Tywin

Cersei

Viserys

Jorah

Robert Baratheon

Shireen

Alliser Thorne

Gilly

Thoros

Grey Worm

Margaery

And as of last episode, Maggy The Frog MILF

i can't say which characters are better many are just fleshed out more...as others have said non-POV characters are all better on show since we get to see them and know them in ways we can't in books....

One of my biggest complaints is that many of the characters are less fleshed-out in the show. The brothers Lannister, for instance.

The new Daario. I can get why Dany is attracted to him.

Cersei: She's not a cartoon villain.

Varys, assuming he's really taking Tyrion to Dany, and doesn't have Aegon hidden somewhere.

Margaery: She has agency, unlike the novel.

Alliser Thorne: Like Cersei, he has more depth.

Sam: I liked his boasting about killing the white walker. He really has survived some horrifying things, and it was nice to hear him recognize that.

Brienne: is not on a pointless quest, yay! Also, she's not endlessly insecure and noble; I liked her picking on Pod a bit.

Pod: Who does not endlessly say "Ser, my lady."

I'm more surprised about Dirk. Every one of his scenes was great.

Such a menacing asshole.

Great accent.

Do you mean Karl Tanner?

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Karl

Karl is the only guy I can find when searching for Dirk on google. But I agree with you, this guy was way more fleshed out and evil than the book mutineers.

Other characters I liked on the show were Thoros and Shireen. Shireen especially who got some really good scenes on the show. Pod the Impaler also said Maggy the Frog and I agree.

Shireen. She's a lot more fleshed out on the show and the actress is really fine. I just hope she doesn't meet some horrible end (she probably will).

Jorah - I already loved him in the book but Iain Glen just adds so much. He makes it hard to understand why Dany prefers Daario, tho.

Joffrey - Jack Gleeson is a genius. I miss the lil bastard.

Alliser Thorne. In the book I just wanted to punch him every time he spoke, on the show he often has a point. Asshole, but definitely takes his duty seriously and fearless.

Varys is so spot on I suspect Conleth Hill is actually Varys playing himself.

Archived