[BOOK SPOILERS] So Jaqen H'ghar...

Tom made an interview with EW : http://www.ew.com/article/2015/04/19/game-thrones-character-Jaqen-Hghar-returns

But here's what is interesting :

It's something I noticed in the books too.

It's not possible a FM would involuntary be in the Black Cells at KL.

But if a FM wanted to be there for some purpose that would be a snap.

Also throughout the books Jaqen and the KM tell her she is Arya Stark before she has let anyone know.

As if the FM has been 'shadowing' Arya for some while.

Interesting that Tom knew the Black Cell thing :

Wlaschiha

“And we still don’t know why he surfaced in first place. He was a prisoner in King’s Landing. Why was he there? Was it all part of a bigger plan and, if so, who is behind it? I like that his character is so mysterious.”

About the story and how things are kept together - don't forget that GRRM is deeply involved in the TV show so I'm sure he'll see to it that the storylines in the TV show add up, even if they have to be altered relative to the books.

And about the boys running from Arya (and the Kindly Man), and them "recognising" a faceless man. Don't forget that in Braavos there is widley spread knowledge about the house of Black and White and what it stands for. That is, people associated with it are not to be messed with, which doesn't mean that faceless men cannot choose to NOT be recognised as such when they wish to. I don't think it's too much of a spoiler to mention that in the book several sailors on the ship took care to tell Arya their names and make sure she remembered them, since it's a "known" fact that faceless men do not take on assassination assignments for people they know.

About the story and how things are kept together - don't forget that GRRM is deeply involved in the TV show so I'm sure he'll see to it that the storylines in the TV show add up, even if they have to be altered relative to the books.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. He's already said that he doesn't know how D&D will get around having Loras as the sole male Tyrell heir, as apparently Garlan and Willas become important later on. And unfortunately I really don't think he's 'deeply involved' at this point either, but rather slightly estranged.

Well, all we can do is wait and see i guess. From what I understand though, GRRM has so far written the script for one episode per season, which means he must be pretty involved in the overall flow of the story as well.

Actually GRRM pulled out of writing a script for this season and has also said he won't be writing one for next season either. He's almost completely stopped having any involvement in the show (or other commitments in general) in order to get these books finished. He's also still changing the stry after what he told D&D the end game will look like. So the show and books are likely going to be very different entities past this season.

I don't think it's too much of a spoiler to mention that in the book several sailors on the ship took care to tell Arya their names and make sure she remembered them, since it's a "known" fact that faceless men do not take on assassination assignments for people they know.

I wish they had of taken a few moments out of Arya's moping to put that in, could have been only a few moments long.

Or have Arya talk to Ternesio about that as they rowed into Braavos, no new speaking parts there.

A man is an actor - and he just has to abide with what the script writers have put in place for him :fencing:

Still, a fan who is impressed enough by the character of a man and how an actor portrays him to choose him for his forum avatar is obviously very happy to see an actor cast yet again as what may - or may not - be the same man :cool4:

outstanding :agree: :cool4:

I think this was just an excuse to bring the actor back. There is no Jaqen H'ghar, there never was. There is only the face of a man who took the gift of the many-faced god long ago.

This is a case where the reuse of a previous actor makes sense, there are so many ambiguities about the FM that using the Jaqen face makes perfect sense. After all who ever is in Old Town does not have Jaqen's face.

Yes. YES. THIS. I get all heebilly-jeebilly just thinking about it! Arya's B&W time has been one of my absolute favorite parts of the books. I'm very excited to see it onscreen and I really like the way they used "Jaquen" to introduce how the FM operate. Hopefully they will do it justice (fingers crossed...not necessarily a good track record for the show runners).

It's interesting how people get really attached to certain characters and their story lines from the books.

Arya was one of those for me. Glad she is in Bravos and really excited to see what the show reveals about her arc from here. I wish her introduction to the HoBaW had been more like the book though. It would have been amazing to see her enter and observe all the strange sights with the alters, the people dying, the poison pool, and the Skull with his worm/Kindly Man. IMHO Jaqen is a great choice for the KM character, but the test they wrote for Arya wasn't nearly as entertaining as the one GRRM wrote. I truly feel D&D missed a great cinematic opportunity. The GRRM intro to the HoBaW wouldn't have to consume more time than the D&D rewritten scenes did, but would have had a lot more impact for the viewers and the story there. Hope they aren't going to mutilate the HoBaW story too much, or eliminate most of it.

What is the signifficance of the iron coin? After initially refusing her passage, when Arya gave the ship's captain the coin, he said of course she could have a cabin. And as someone pointed out, several of the crew members told her their names. (Would someone kindly direct me to the book that is in?)

What is the signifficance of the iron coin? After initially refusing her passage, when Arya gave the ship's captain the coin, he said of course she could have a cabin. And as someone pointed out, several of the crew members told her their names. (Would someone kindly direct me to the book that is in?)

I just re-read the AFfC chapter 6 (Arya) where Arya gets to Braavos and the HoBaW. There's some stuff there on the coin, I think. Basically, it's world-renown (especially in Braavos) talisman that, when presented to anyone who knows what it is, will get the bearer practically anything. As we saw with the captain, Arya immediately went from being refused passage to "of course, you will have a cabin" when she showed him the coin. Also, when the crew knew she was headed for the Faceless Men they all tried to make sure she knew their names because they know that Faceless Men are not supposed to kill those they know.

Interesting from the 'sneak' pics last summer from Split it was ferreted out that Maisie and Gary Oliver were in that scene in front of the House of Black and White now we know Cedric Henderson was the first 'Kindly Man' , but , and that shot had to be done in Split, Tom Wlaschiha really hid away. They did keep that under wraps (kinda) for a long time.

Techicnally there is no Jaqen H'ghar and there never was. There's just a face, voice (and hairdo) that seems to be one of the visage's that all faceless men learn. The FM who was the original Jaqen probably ravengrammed THoBaW and said, hey, if this little girl from Westeros swings by face number 16B-germanic is relatable, so if you wanna train her then at least start with that face.

Clearly Jaqen is a fan favourite on the TV show and a huge credit for how Tom Wlaschiha played him that David and Dan decided they needed to bring him back for fan service. And I am totally OK with that. I do hope Sam gets sent to the Citadel to train as a maester. The rest of this season Sam is on his journey with Aemon to Oldtown. Season 6 is Sam's rather rapid training as a maester, with some strange shit going down, or just the Iron Islanders doing their shit. Season 7 Sam is back at the wall to do what needs to be done. Perhaps the actor who the original JH turns into rocks up to Oldtown, and maybe changes his face to someone else, and that could throw the TV fans into a bit of a spin, and create some serious concern for Sam.

Clearly Jaqen is a fan favourite on the TV show and a huge credit for how Tom Wlaschiha played him that David and Dan decided they needed to bring him back for fan service. And I am totally OK with that.

I think also Wlaschiha was also a Dave and Dan favorite , but mostly if one has a charismatic actor who was already cast as a FM and you don't have to go trough the whole casting process again makes sense ... and book-to-visual-narrative has little or no impact, in fact may improve over the book.

Just want to praise Tom Wlashiha , had known of this actor in a few films before but had not paid attention to him. He has very strong presence , his German accent , kind of modified, is exotic, and his body language and facial expression really color the atmosphere. I can't think of a better idea than having be the Kindly Man even tho we don't have the Kindly Man, played by him.

Also throughout the books Jaqen and the KM tell her she is Arya Stark before she has let anyone know.

As if the FM has been 'shadowing' Arya for some while.

Reminds me of BR who has been 'shadowing' Bran - and Jojen, Meera - everyone - for their entire lives.

Archived