[Spoilers All] What do you think Season 5 has spoiled for book readers?

Lord Godric

All chapters for Arianne, Vicatation, Damphair and Jon Connington are worthless as these characters won't exist on the show.

With Barristan Selmy dead in the tv show we can asume he dies in the battle of Mereen in the books.

If we didn't know D&D at this point, I may even buy this.

But the fact that is that the reason why the Iron Islands subplot was cut and the Sand Snakes were kept is that they prefered hot young fighting chicks that old pirates. I'll add that if they had ended casting someone hoter to play "Yara", we would have seen much more of her. (of course part of her story would have involved geting naked trying to seduce Ramsay).

The same for Barristan. It could be that they wanted to echo his death in the battle of Mereen. But it could also be that they needed more time to develop the romance between Grey Worm and Missandei. Let's face it: why waste screentime with an old knight dreaming of old glories when you have a younger fighter who can be just as "badass" and also flirt with girl?

• Melisandre trying to fuck Jon and her choice of words basically confirming R+L=J

No young Griff storyline confirming Aegon is a fake.

Barristan dying.

and Benjen was on the imdb for season 5, so he does appear, that's another one

IMDB is notoriously unreliable in these situations, so unless the actor playing Benjen Stark was interviewed somewhere about an appearance on Game of Thrones, I would take it with a grain of salt.

I don't think anybody would be surprised about Ser Barristan dying - though, I hope he's not cut down in a back alley.

Spot on..! Nothing to worry really for the readers, this s05 prepare the s06 that D+D will have to come up with because what is suppose to come next is still in GRRM mind.

He said in many conventions the show and the books are two different things so there is no way he would have tell them what he plans for the charaters for WOW.

so enjoy the show and the book you will have the best of both world... :thumbsup:

Spot on..! Nothing to worry really for the readers, this s05 prepare the s06 that D+D will have to come up with because what is suppose to come next is still in GRRM mind.

He said in many conventions the show and the books are two different things so there is no way he would have tell them what he plans for the charaters for WOW.

so enjoy the show and the book you will have the best of both world... :thumbsup:

D&D have full access to GRRMs Winds of Winter draft material or are you completely by-passing this? GRRM also hopes to have the next book finished before Season 6 airs so it's highly unlikely they will significantly differ in story.

Now the final book and season 7 I tend to agree with you.

Seriously? Do you believe that?

The last two Episodes for me are a prove that the show is like a new head growing of a Dragon. We are going to have a Dragon with two heads.

I m sorry but there is no way GRRM will let D+D access his draft. As a writer I do not see the point for him to do that, he even left the show for a while to concentrate on finishing WOW so...

Yes, it's been qouted several times in interviews they have access to his Winds Draft material (roughly half the book) and GRRM himself has stated the only reason that he isn't writing an episode next season is because he wants to get the next book published before season 6 airs. I would suggest it's highly unrealistic to that GRRM would hide anything from D&D considering we know they regularly consult him on the show and that he sold the whole story rights to HBO so is contractually obligated.

I would highlight that there have been several indicators from D&D that there will be some spoilers from Winds of Winter in the last few episodes of this season and that casting for season six is clearly aligned with Winds plus a bit of AFFC (Euron) that was delayed this season.

For me next season/Winds is not the problem it's the final season/ADOS that things may seriously diverge and it's vital that GRRM is back writing episodes at that stage and if he's serious about publishing Winds before next Spring then you would hope that would be the case. This season has diverged largely because of the pacing of the books not making good TV and the sheer amount of stories/characters covered in AFFC/ADWD.

GRRM has said he might intentionally change things to not be the same as the show.

But the Battle of Ice was already most written so I think this season will spoil who wins and who dies between Roose, Ramsay and Stannis. Barristan's probably not long for this world either. Though he's got two chapters already in WoTW, so he can't be going out that quickly.

Some storylines can be considered as spoilers /portents while others are pure divergence from the storyline

Also, I am not worried too much about lack of Iron Born storyline. Based on all things especially them looking to cast several "pirate-looking" guys- next season will go heavily into that part of the story. So I am fully expecting to see Yarra/Asha again next season as well as Bran

As for what I am considered to be spoilered so-far:

For example, I don't expect Barristan to ever return to Westeros. I also expect that Griff would not live for long. I also suspect based on Jorah's taking on greyscale - his sickness will be reflection of Griff's, in the sense - if he starts a huge greyscale plague in Maureen or even infects someone, before its discovered that he is sick, I would expect Griff to do the same - infect people - perhaps fAegon too. If Jorah basically not infects anyone and quietly sacrifices himself to save/help out Dany, I he is discovered and kept isolated, I expect Griff to be the same.

In the future, I would expect to see Winterfell battle and the victor here would be the same as in the books. I also would expect to see Shireen's fate here to be the same as in the books - burned or escaped.

If the season ends with Jon beyond "for the watch" thing with ANY reveal towards his condition - I would expect it to be the same as in the books. Same with Dany - if it goes beyond her getting on Drogon and meeting Dothraki again.

FYI: If Brienne/Pod, Ramsey/Roose die in this season I have no idea if its going to happen to them in the books, but I would have to say yes on Pod and Ramsey being spoilers.

GRRM has said he might intentionally change things to not be the same as the show.

No, he said the opposite of that. He will not change things purely to be different. Things may change organically as the writing process continues.

While I know that the books and the show are supposedly going to end in the same place, I fully expect them to take VERY different routes to get there, and they may converge only in the very broadest sense. There are too many plot lines and characters that have been cut out of the show; they can't all be red herrings or irrelelvant. If stuff happening to specific characters in the books ends up being the same as what happened to them on the show, I will consider that pure coincidence.

When I saw how far the show was diverging from the books over the last season or so, I was actually quite happy---it's liberating, because, knowing that the stories are inevitably going to be very different, I'm not afraid of spoilers at all. At this point, it's two different stories, with characters that share names.

Which plots and characters? Remember Euron has simply been delayed until Season 6 so the Ironburn stuff will be covered. Which other characters then Griff is stil to be confirmed, Stoneheart agree she's dropped, can't think of too many others.

While I know that the books and the show are supposedly going to end in the same place, I fully expect them to take VERY different routes to get there, and they may converge only in the very broadest sense. There are too many plot lines and characters that have been cut out of the show; they can't all be red herrings or irrelelvant. If stuff happening to specific characters in the books ends up being the same as what happened to them on the show, I will consider that pure coincidence.

When I saw how far the show was diverging from the books over the last season or so, I was actually quite happy---it's liberating, because, knowing that the stories are inevitably going to be very different, I'm not afraid of spoilers at all. At this point, it's two different stories, with characters that share names.

I agree 100% with you here, I maintain that it's like a second new head growing of the same Dragon.

Definitively two storyline. The Sansa I left in the book is not the same I m watching in the Show, only to mention her, I don't want to mention other plots to keep the spoiling at the minimum...

I don't think you can say that something happening on the show is a definite spoiler for the books, but more likely that what doesn't happen is a spoiler.

Aegon is either fAegon OR his part is is non-important enough that they can cut it out.

Same goes with Quentin (we knew that), also Jeyne Westerling. Jojen is probably paste (or at least not long for this world)

Sam's trip to Oldtown must not lead to something hugely important.

Now there is at least 2 more seasons (I bet 3) and rumors about Euron, Meribald, Randyll Tarly and others so it is possible that in future seasons some of this could still pop up.

D&D have full access to GRRMs Winds of Winter draft material or are you completely by-passing this? GRRM also hopes to have the next book finished before Season 6 airs so it's highly unlikely they will significantly differ in story.

Now the final book and season 7 I tend to agree with you.

I doubt they have full access to his draft material. I don't even think his editor has full access to it until he's done.

I doubt they have full access to his draft material. I don't even think his editor has full access to it until he's done.

I tend to agree with this.

I think that is why we are seeing so many changes. Other than condensing and budget reasons....

There is a big difference between transferring something that is complete as a reference like the first 5 books and going off of a outline for each character.

GRRM might have told D & D what was going to happen but with out the exact details, the locations, the words it is very different. I think that is why some of this is a step down in quality.

Just look at Dorne, it is almost completely made up and you can tell the quality difference.

GRRM has said that D&D have access to the chapters of the upcoming books he's finished.

That much should have been obvious since last season with the Arya scene in the inn which was based on the Winds of Winter chapter Mercy GRRM put out just before the episode aired.

Archived