Video Game Thread v.416: Beta Release

Werthead

I just made my way into the Abyss and got completely wrecked by the four kings. I don't begin to know how to handle that encounter.

It's all about high poise armor (so you won't get staggered when he hits you). If you have Havel's set, equip that, two hand your weapon and go in swinging! At least that's how I always did it.

eta: been a while since I played, but it looks like equipping the Wolf Ring would be a good idea, too, that also adds to your poise

...yeah, but the writing in Fallout 3 wasn't good.

It wasn't, but that was quite a well ago. Skyrim was a bit better; and who knows, maybe they learned something from Obsidian's New Vegas about how a Fallout game should be written. I remain hopeful that the writing will at least be decent. And in terms of gameplay, I think it looks really good.

Anyway, going back to the Steam sale, I have picked up a few more things now. I've still only spent maybe $40, which on the one hand is good for my wallet, but on the other hand I was hoping to get quite a few months of games out of this, and I haven't yet (although if I keep sinking my gaming time into the Secret World, I might not need that much else). I've even managed to play one of them so far, To The Moon. Its only four hours and barely even a game, but that story, wow that was good once it got going.

I'm pretty sure I remember that writing in Morrowind being a fair bit better than anything they've done since, but it's been years since I last played it.

And yeah, I think Bethesda have gotten better game by game since the utter nadir of Oblivion. I'm not sure I'd go as far as saying that Skyrim is better than Fallout 3, but Dragonborn was vastly better than either. I think the tighter focus helped a lot, and the NPCs in the game were a lot more more memorable (like the lunatic ex-Brotherhood dude in town you can bond with if you're also an assassin, and that crazy mage who lives in the giant mushroom).

Still having a great time with New Vegas and I've decided that it's definitely a better game than Fallout 3. Maybe I'm forgetting bits of 3, but I feel like the choices in NV are much less black and white and more interesting.

Not looking to start that argument again, just my 5-years-late opinion. :)

I'm pretty sure I remember that writing in Morrowind being a fair bit better than anything they've done since, but it's been years since I last played it.

And yeah, I think Bethesda have gotten better game by game since the utter nadir of Oblivion. I'm not sure I'd go as far as saying that Skyrim is better than Fallout 3, but Dragonborn was vastly better than either. I think the tighter focus helped a lot, and the NPCs in the game were a lot more more memorable (like the lunatic ex-Brotherhood dude in town you can bond with if you're also an assassin, and that crazy mage who lives in the giant mushroom).

huh? Don't remember him.

Total War: Warhammer sounds hilarious. The orcs have artillery that fire goblins with shitty little wings into the enemy ranks. You can take control of them in first-person and control them like a flight sim :D

They are concentrating on giving each faction, since there are so few, as many units as possible, and they're not shying away from exploiting the diversity between them. I like that, and I do hope the battles are large, scary, but also fun. In the last games (Rome 2 and Attila, and even Shogun 2) I no longer had much fun during battles. Every time I would win a large battle, I would simply think Thank God, that's over, instead of, I am mighty, fuck with me and die.

Nope Fallout 3 has decent-good writing, Skyrim is the one with atrocious writing.

Please describe Fallout 3's plot.

https://i.imgur.com/nRLbCTE.png

Because at least Skyrim had a touch of nuance and didn't turn the BoS into goddamn paladins. And seriously, your dialog choices when you find your dad are awful. "I followed you because you're my favorite daddy!". And " I h8 uuu! *angsts*". Absolutely no way to tell him that I had to leave the vault because his dumb ass got me kicked out and I'd really like to be back. Also, while they fixed it, their ending was unforgivably bad. And, while they did fix it with dlc, the fact that your companions bitch at you for not needlessly suiciding is kinda hilarious.

FO3 makes for a good apocalyptic playground. As anything else, its pretty lacking. I expect the sequel to be similar.

Please describe Fallout 3's plot.

https://i.imgur.com/nRLbCTE.png

I really don't give a fuck what 4chan thinks about Fallout 3's 'plot'. I also wouldn't judge the writing purely on the main story, how much of the main story constitutes the player's experience of the writing in a 100+ hour playthrough? Very little. I'm not going to argue that the main story pre-Broken Steel is much better than mediocre. The side quests, unmarked quests and DLC quests are pretty good as a whole, much better than Skyrim. Although it should be noted that I never played the Dragonborn DLC, after the shitstain that was Dawnguard I was finished with that game.

Skyrim's writing was far from great, but Fallout 3's was significantly worse; from the dialog to the plot choices to the worldbuilding. It was all weak sauce.

It was still a fun game. They both were. Bethesda games, except Oblivion, are all really fun games.

Skyrim's writing was far from great, but Fallout 3's was significantly worse; from the dialog to the plot choices to the worldbuilding. It was all weak sauce.

It was still a fun game. They both were. Bethesda games, except Oblivion, are all really fun games.

Obliovion was awesome imo, I probably put 300ish hours into that game.

Anyway, started playing a nifty little game called Hand of Fate that I picked up in the Steam summer sale. Its a fairly simple (so far, at least) deck-building game, which turns into short Batman-style third-person combat when there's enemy encounters. But it comes together in a pretty fun way, and the narrator/dealer's voice acting is solid.

I don't know if I'd want to pay full price for it, but $12 made it a good deal (not sure if that daily deal is still active though).

Oblivion was fun as well, is just has zero replayability compared to any of their other titles and the Oblivion Gates were utter shit. But some of the sidequests were amazing (the floating inn that suddenly turned into Under Siege for absolutely no reason was hilarious, the invisible villagers were a real WTF moment and the quest in the painting was quite smart), and the Dark Brotherhood storyline was much better than Skyrim's. Also, Sean Bean.

Shivering Isles was actually pretty good in its own way as well. And some of the mods were fantastic, like Nehrim, which was a much better fantasy game than Oblivion itself.

Oblivion was fun as well, is just has zero replayability compared to any of their other titles and the Oblivion Gates were utter shit. But some of the sidequests were amazing (the floating inn that suddenly turned into Under Siege for absolutely no reason was hilarious, the invisible villagers were a real WTF moment and the quest in the painting was quite smart), and the Dark Brotherhood storyline was much better than Skyrim's. Also, Sean Bean.

Shivering Isles was actually pretty good in its own way as well. And some of the mods were fantastic, like Nehrim, which was a much better fantasy game than Oblivion itself.

The whodunit mission was fun as hell I think I must have replayed it half a dozen times just to try different orders and techniques

Archived