(Spoilers All) The True King

"I defeated your uncle Victarion and his Iron Fleet off Fair Isle, the first time your father crowned himself. I held Storm's End against the power of the Reach for a year, and took Dragonstone from the Targaryens. I smashed Mance Rayder at the Wall, though he had twenty times my numbers. Tell me, turncloak, what battles has the Bastard of Bolton ever won that I should fear him?"

Well, shit.

Well as a Stannis fan, this was pretty dumb, oh well at least he 1 v 2'd some dudes and told Brienne the Stanniest line he could of said "Go on, do your duty"

Still holding out hope that he is alive though lol

Considering how every other major character death in the series has been on-screen, I'll wait until next season before passing judgement. Can't see why Brienne would spare him, though :(

You know, I hated him for last week, but now I cant, because it became more clear that D&D never gave him a chance.

They cut his best lines, they make him burn people for being infidels, they have burn his daughter for Winterfell, then get curbstomped by Ramsay and his good men.

Stannis in the book isn't a good person, and I won't rule out the possibility of him burning his daughter, but it will NOT be for Winterfell, and the battle will NOT unfold this way.

Really, I'm just so confused as to why Ramsay is so loved by D&D? This guy accomplishes everyhing. He's given more screen time than Roose Bolton.

RIP Satannis.

The bros could at least have formed a square or something. Thought it was pretty anticlimactic and I think smushing Stannis's arc for two books into this season didn't serve him well. What was the point of their even spending so much time on Stannis for the show if the only point is to have Melisandre at the wall for whatever role she plays going forward?

There had to be a price to pay for burning your own daughter alive. Interesting that the Lord of Light is shown (proven) to be a false guide yet Melisandre is allowed to return to Castle Black. It would now be disingenuous for Mel to be the instrument of Jon Snow's resurrection.

Just give him a rest. I am relieved that now the fate of Stannis is no longer shared with tv series. Stephen Dillane did amazing job. I never really understood why was Stannis handled so crudely from the start ( weird sexual obsession with Mel, being heavily under influence etc.)

IT was terrible.

The show-runners like Brienne and don't like Stannis so they have STannis do this dumb thing and Brienne is there to ... get ... her... vengeance? I mean, she knew Renly really well, she hung out with him... twice...

To have her there standing over Stannis was so ridiculous; such a clear sign that the show wants to placate the fans and their own likes. Not the story- no, fuck that!

So, we'll have Stannis be there and march right at WF with no plan, half his men gone, and have the Bolton get right there with ... like,... 100,000 men. Nice Job! Makes perfect sense... I mean, Stannis is the best battle commander in Westeros so OF COURSE he would simply marh right at the castle and no see - until it was too late - the enemy upon him. OF COURSE!

Kill a great character; fine. But have SOME reason for it; do something for the story. Make it make sense.

But, alas, they were done with that in season 4. Sense and reasons went out the window.

The show doesn't care about deviating from the book versions of characters like Stannis, Brienne, Jamie, Varys, etc..., because they are not a part of the core endgame character group of Jon, Dany, Tyrion, Arya, and Bran. GRRM's original letter about the plot made it obvious which characters matter overall and which exist just to add flavor.

Archived