Angry Got Fan AMA with GRRM.

redeagl

There is no system to magic!!!! Whaaa?

That's what I've been saying for years and people have been telling me that just because it's not clear what the system is, does not mean there isn't one. Well. What can I say? HA! :D

Why have I been talking about this for years? The lack of any consistency or system in the magic is my biggest complaint in the series. I like magic with rules whether it be mystical and rare or well known and common. I hate (HATE!!!) it when magic has no rules and is essentially a "I wrote myself into a corner, lets make something magical happen to topple one of the walls" element in the story, which I personally think it is in ASOIAF.

On OP's post:

"I know who will be sitting on the Iron Throne". This is not necessarily a confirmation it'll be there in the end. "No one" (Not "No One") could well be the answer Martin has in mind.

GRRM doesn't say much that's new here.

Glad to hear he's got a book's worth of stuff cut. otoh, this is hardly earth shaking, as editing is what authors do, if they're sane. It's also what editors do lol.

Totally get what he means by theories. A word, or a series of words, cut off from the sense of the rest of the text, are used to "prove" a pet theory. GRRM has said this before, and more than once.

We already knew from other interviews that there's no system of magic in Ice and Fire, and that GRRM didn't want his magic to be "scientific."

GRRM said earlier that there would be an IT at the end, and he knew who would sit it--ie, he knows the ending to his books. Not exactly earth shaking coming from an author who is on book 6 of 7 novels. He'd better know at this point, or he and we are screwed.

He'd also said earlier that the show would cut a lot of his material, due to budgetary constraints.

He'd said earlier that some of the people killed in the show would be alive at the end. 

GRRM is being forced to go to the Emmys. Cry me a river. New info I tragically don't care about.

Is there another twitter summary of this, possibly written by a person less prone to caps, and less obsessed by the show? I ask, as it's distantly possible that GRRM said something new here, other than the remark that he's going to the Emmys, and there are dinosaurs in Ice and Fire.

Tyrion saw the Shrouded Lord ?????????? Can you give more info about this please ?

He did and the SL allowed him to not be infected for making him laugh. George cut the chapter because it was too ''fantastic''. However you could say he did meet the SL in a vision off-screen, made a deal to pass the greyscale on Jon Connington, and the memory of the meeting was erased after he woke up.

Eh, You're kind of right. But the way Preston Jacobs applies themes and ideas from George's previous works is very original and I gotta give him props.

It is interesting that he highlights some shared elements, but the way he applies the elements to ASOIAF is borderline insane and overly cluttered.

Think of R+L=J

Then think of the hundreds of theories that people made just to support a notion that it wasn't the correct theory.

Think of how many people are supposed to be Howland Reed.

Think of how many people are supposed to be the Valonqar.

Think of all the theories about Dario.

Realistically R+L=J is true, we haven't meant Howland, Dario is Dario, and either Jamie or Tyrion is the Valonqar.

And in the some of those aren't the case, only one of the hundreds of alternate theories will be true. In which case you will still have close to a 1000 theories.

He did and the SL allowed him to not be infected for making him laugh. George cut the chapter because it was too ''fantastic''. However you could say he did meet the SL in a vision off-screen, made a deal to pass the greyscale on Jon Connington, and the memory of the meeting was erased after he woke up.

What? Can you provide a source?

Tyrion saw the Shrouded Lord ?????????? Can you give more info about this please ?

In 2007 GRRM wrote on his not a blog the following:

Someday I will die, and I hope you're right and it's thirty years from now. When that happens, maybe my heirs will decide to publish a book of fragments and deleted chapters, and you'll all get to read about Tyrion's meeting with the Shrouded Lord. It's a swell, spooky, evocative chapter, but you won't read it in DANCE. It took me down a road I decided I did not want to travel, so I went back and ripped it out. So, unless I change my mind again, it's going the way of the draft of LORD OF THE RINGS where Tolkien has Frodo, Sam, Merry, and Pippin reach the Prancing Pony and meet... a weatherbeaten old hobbit ranger named "Trotter." 

Glad to hear he's got a book's worth of stuff cut. otoh, this is hardly earth shaking, as editing is what authors do, if they're sane. It's also what editors do lol.

Totally get what he means by theories. A word, or a series of words, cut off from the sense of the rest of the text, are used to "prove" a pet theory. GRRM has said this before, and more than once.

We already knew from other interviews that there's no system of magic in Ice and Fire, and that GRRM didn't want his magic to be "scientific."

GRRM said earlier that there would be an IT at the end, and he knew who would sit it--ie, he knows the ending to his books. Not exactly earth shaking coming from an author who is on book 6 of 7 novels. He'd better know at this point, or he and we are screwed.

He'd also said earlier that the show would cut a lot of his material, due to budgetary constraints.

He'd said earlier that some of the people killed in the show would be alive at the end. 

GRRM is being forced to go to the Emmys. Cry me a river. New info I tragically don't care about.

Is there another twitter summary of this, possibly written by a person less prone to caps, and less obsessed by the show? I ask, as it's distantly possible that GRRM said something new here, other than the remark that he's going to the Emmys, and there are dinosaurs in Ice and Fire.

Sorry but this was all i have found.

I wonder if that happend and Tyrion don't remember it.Cause i am sure that Tyrion had a direct contact with Greyscale.

Think of R+L=J

Then think of the hundreds of theories that people made just to support a notion that it wasn't the correct theory.

Think of how many people are supposed to be Howland Reed.

Think of how many people are supposed to be the Valonqar.

Think of all the theories about Dario.

Realistically R+L=J is true, we haven't meant Howland, Dario is Dario, and either Jamie or Tyrion is the Valonqar.

And in the some of those aren't the case, only one of the hundreds of alternate theories will be true. In which case you will still have close to a 1000 theories.

And think of how many people are supposed to be Jon's twin.

One of the most prominent cut chapters of ADwD is the chapter in which Tyrion meets the Shrouded Lord. It is the chapter George mentioned multiple times on his NAB and he struggled with it, rewriting it a lot of times, transforming it from a real meeting to a dream sequence to completely cutting. One assumes that it would have been placed between Tyrion drowning in the Rhoyne and his subsequent awakening. There are some traces that there is something missing there in the final version, for instance, Aegon is saying 'I told you!' when they discuss his true identity, yet on screen they didn't discuss this whole bit at all in-between. Tyrion confronts the gang with the Aegon thing shortly before he falls into the river, but he has no clue about the pisswater prince story, nor does Aegon know anything about the fact that Haldon told Tyrion the whole story (or at least parts of it).

One assumes that Tyrion was supposed to wake up in the cut chapter, and George rewrote the beginning of the next chapter and didn't correct the continuity error.

Sothoryos is the best place in the world of ice and fire.

I don't know why many people watch him. Alt shift x is better by milles.

He is not an example. He is obviously what GRRM means.

And the funny thing that this theory is right now more popular that R+L=J.

Sorry for the confusion. Tyrion does not, in the novels, meet the Shrouded Lord. It is part of the removed material, that GRRM wrote but decided he did not wish to include in his final product . From his Not a Blog;

"Someday I will die, and I hope you're right and it's thirty years from now. When that happens, maybe my heirs will decide to publish a book of fragments and deleted chapters, and you'll all get to read about Tyrion's meeting with the Shrouded Lord. It's a swell, spooky, evocative chapter, but you won't read it in DANCE. It took me down a road I decided I did not want to travel, so I went back and ripped it out. So, unless I change my mind again, it's going the way of the draft of LORD OF THE RINGS where Tolkien has Frodo, Sam, Merry, and Pippin reach the Prancing Pony and meet... a weatherbeaten old hobbit ranger named "Trotter."

And that's about as much as I'm going to say on this subject. Which is probably too much. I guarantee you, I will now get a bunch of letters from those who want to read this deleted chapter. (No. Thank you, but no)."

Jokes asides, I wonder what the "dinosaur" question was. Because I doubt Martin simply said "btw, there are dinosaurs in my world". Maybe a Bluebeliever was there.

Probably something about 'what is there in Sothoryos?'.

It seems like a place that dinosaurs can live in. 

I am sorry but IF GRRM attitude was correctly represented by this guy on twitter, than he comes off as a huge baby.  Why does he go to a public appearance and bash HBO? Be a professional.  He sold the rights to them. Obviously this stuff would happen.  I don't want to hear him complain every few months about the poor business decision he made when he gave away rights to some of his creative material.  
Besides the dinosaur, we have heard pretty much everything he said over and over and over.  (cut characters on HBO, writing sytle, etc.)  

Sounds like Tyrion in going across Essos, "Where do the whores go?"

He could've waited until his story was over to sell to HBO. They don't have much of a choice but to write their own material if it hasn't been released yet.

He could've waited until his story was over to sell to HBO. They don't have much of a choice but to write their own material if it hasn't been released yet.

He was in need of the money? I mean yes the novels are a financial success, but not as near as the show, GRRM is drowning in Game of Thrones dollars..

Archived