Your Random ASOIAF/TWOIAF/D&E Opinions, Confessions and Dirty Secrets, 666

JonCon's Red Beard

Come on, guys. Everything horrible leads back to Jon Arryn.

Littlefinger.
The Lannister/Baratheon alliance.
Telling Robert not to hunt down Viserys and Dany.
Failure to reveal the twincest.
Sweet Robin.

He's the phantom menace.

No, it's not. He's literally the worst. Next time you do a re-read count how many times someone says "I shouldnt have listened to Jon Arryn!" It's a very subtle running joke.

Yeah, and shouting "the seed is strong""??!!??! while he could have just said "Jaime is banging Cersei" and thus save a lot of trouble to a lot of people. :) I mean it's his last words, who needs ridles, be speciffic, man!! :)

Some confessions... 

- I absolutely HATE Rhaegar, he's easily the worst aSoIaF character for me. 

- Which leads me too... I hate the thought of R+L=J, I see no good reason for it to occur other than Rhaegar is an idiot, simple. 

- Cersei is my favourite character at the moment 

- I kind of hope Jon stays dead, certainly won't be angry if he does (and no, I'm not a hater, just indifferent and hate all the cliches and prophecy around him) 

- I think Tyrion is way overrated. Loved him on the first read, but now...ugh... 

- Catelyn is underrated. 

Feels good to get that off my chest  :cool4:

So, some of my opinions that I think are quite unpopular B)

Bowen Marsh was totally right to stab Jon.

Sansa > Arya

Tyrion and Jaime are no good persons, not even close.

I miss Joffrey.

Rhaegar was a total idiot (unless there actually is a prophecy that says that a Targaryen and a Stark have to have a ice-and-fire baby that will save the world... then - sorry - GRRM is the idiot for writing this).

So, some of my opinions that I think are quite unpopular B)

Bowen Marsh was totally right to stab Jon.

Sansa > Arya

Tyrion and Jaime are no good persons, not even close.

I miss Joffrey.

Rhaegar was a total idiot (unless there actually is a prophecy that says that a Targaryen and a Stark have to have a ice-and-fire baby that will save the world... then - sorry - GRRM is the idiot for writing this).

:agree: with pretty much everything you just said and damn, I forgot to say earlier than I am pretty gutted Joffrey died, the story is not nearly as fun as it was when he lived  :D

I think the Jon Arryn hatred is a bit much on the forum. All this judging in hindsight.

Definitely. Very few things that happened could have been predicted by Jon Arryn when he cleaned up after the Rebellion. He couldn't have known Cersei would cuckold the King by having children with her brother. He also couldn't have known that his wife's childhood friend was the most devious person in Westeros.

I thought you were all about the floppy fish and Tyrell?

Oh, of course, but the Arryns deserve a chance to win me over. Sweetrobin is getting there, though. I think he'll be the breakout star of Winds, and if someone deserves to kill Baelish, it's him.

He didn't talk Dorne down. Dorne was pretending to be all ok about it.

True.

I want separate books about each regions, the great houses and their bannermen. I want a book about the North and stories like how the Manderlys came north and their oath to the Starks. I want to learn more about White Harbor and how it grew and the story of the Umbers and Starks uniting to take down the King beyond the Wall etc.

I find Westeros' history more exciting and interesting than TWot5Ks.

This is more or less what the "World of Ice and Fire" is, although the history of the individual kingdoms themselves are just chapters in the books.  But I think I share the sentiment; the history interests me more than the main series at times.  (But not due to a lack of interest in the main series.)

Definitely. Very few things that happened could have been predicted by Jon Arryn when he cleaned up after the Rebellion. He couldn't have known Cersei would cuckold the King by having children with her brother. He also couldn't have known that his wife's childhood friend was the most devious person in Westeros.

Agreed. 

https://bryndenbfish.wordpress.com/2014/02/26/the-falcon-of-westeros-an-examination-of-jon-arryn-part-1-fostering-a-realm/

https://bryndenbfish.wordpress.com/2014/03/19/the-falcon-of-westeros-an-examination-of-jon-arryn-part-2-the-hand-builds/

Setting up a new kingdom after a rebellion is hardly the easiest of tasks and I think Jon Arryn did the best he could with the hand he was dealt.

"Dear Hoster Tully,

A few days ago, Lysa mentioned me a boy he met once and she's recommending him for a job in the Vale. I heard a few references of him, and they say the boy is capable. I've been told he was a ward of you, before the War. I would like to hear your opinion before making a decision.

With love, Jon Arryn"

"Dear Jon,

If you mean Petyr Baelish, that boy is nothing but trouble. Keep him away from Lysa and from you

Love, Hoster".

Really, all problems happened because Jon Arryn in unable to communicate with other human beings.

"Dear Hoster Tully,

A few days ago, Lysa mentioned me a boy he met once and she's recommending him for a job in the Vale. I heard a few references of him, and they say the boy is capable. I've been told he was a ward of you, before the War. I would like to hear your opinion before making a decision.

With love, Jon Arryn"

"Dear Jon,

If you mean Petyr Baelish, that boy is nothing but trouble. Keep him away from Lysa and from you

Love, Hoster".

Really, all problems happened because Jon Arryn in unable to communicate with other human beings.

Exactly. And you bring up a good point: just what did Hooster Tully have to say when he found out Jon Arryn made Petyr master of coin?

Wasn't it also Jon Arryn that told Robert to spare Jaime and not send him to the Wall?

Exactly. And you bring up a good point: just what did Hooster Tully have to say when he found out Jon Arryn made Petyr master of coin?

Wasn't it also Jon Arryn that told Robert to spare Jaime and not send him to the Wall?

I think he did, to win the Lannisters' favour.

But, honestly, how is that Hoster Tully finds out the guy who got his daughter pregnant was given a job NEXT to her and he simply keeps his mouth shut? Jon was aware Lysa was pregnant when they got married, there was no reason for Hoster not telling him about LF being the father and seducing her. Also, Jon never heard how LF bragged about banging the two Tully sisters? :dunno:

Also, the fact the Realm was in peace meant nothing. Aerys also had the realm in peace for many years, even without Tywin.

As to Jon Arryn's relationship with Petyr Baelish, I don't think it was as simple as suggested above. Petyr's father befriended Hoster durring the War of the Ninepenny Kings. That's why Hoster agreed to foster Petyr. The reader knows why Petyr was expelled from Riverrun, but outside of Houses Tully, Stark, and Baelish, the details would not have been widely reported. As to Petyr and Lysa playing a bit of how's your father, only Hoster and maybe a handful of confidants would have known about that. Jon Arryn knew that Lysa had conceived, but we don't know whether he knew that Petyr was the donor. Presumably he did not know. Lysa, not Hoster, was the person who backed Petyr's advancement. Jon placed him at a low level, and Petyr performed brilliantly. Why should Jon have asked Hoster about him? And until he was named Master of Coin, Hoster probably had no idea Petyr was rising under Jon. Perhaps at that point, Hoster might have warned Jon, but really, what would Hoster have warned him about?

ETA

The thing about Jon not knowing about Petyr's boast of bedding the two Tully girls is a bit of a plot hole, but I think the reader just has to overlook that.

Archived