Wise Man's Fear XI

Michael Seswatha Jordan

On 5/1/2016 at 0:06 PM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

No, but it is usually not simply money that makes someone "popular".  I think Kvothe is probably imbelishing Ambrose a bit to make him less pleasent.

I disagree.  The social constructs in place have shown time and time again that people will try to gain favor with those with money and/or power, both of which Ambrose has, despite those with power being complete douchebags.  

Hell, my high school had a bunch of these types of people and they weren't even born to be dukes.  They just had rich parents and still managed to have a lot of friends despite being horrible people.  Rich, horrible high schoolers with a lot of friends isn't anything new.  Just watch any episode of 'My Sweet 16'.

30 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Ace,

Sure, but you are assuming no imbelisment by Kvothe.  

I do assume embellishment.  He says he does so multiple times in the story.  But it really has nothing to do with what I'm saying; that money and power can lead to massive amounts of 'friends' and 'popularity', and that the number of 'friends' one has doesn't really have anything to do with how likable one is.

On 4/29/2016 at 1:27 PM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Who is Felurian's equal who Kvothe says he met only once?  What does he mean by "equal"?

I always assumed he was talking about Denna there. 

Because when is he not talking about Denna? :P 

On 5/3/2016 at 1:31 PM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Ace,

Yes it can.  That doesn't mean Kvothe didn't exagerat Ambrose's dickishness or his own aura of cool.

Doesn't mean he did either.

• 2 months later...
On 7/12/2016 at 1:26 PM, Gaston de Foix said:

I have to ask this question: is there are reason to believe that Rothfuss is continuing to write these books? It's deeply disappointing as a passionate fan that he thinks he has no obligation to update his fans; forget periodically, at least give an annual update?

Why would you listen to Rothfus on an update anyway? He has said that he already wrote the entire series and just needed to do touch up work on it. This was in 2007 when he released Name of the Wind. 

I have no problem at all with waiting for the next book, or even not getting a conclusion to this story. The only issue I have is fake updates, and releasing that meandering nothing of a Novella and charging me $11 for it.

1 hour ago, Howdyphillip said:

Why would you listen to Rothfus on an update anyway? He has said that he already wrote the entire series and just needed to do touch up work on it. This was in 2007 when he released Name of the Wind. 

I have no problem at all with waiting for the next book, or even not getting a conclusion to this story. The only issue I have is fake updates, and releasing that meandering nothing of a Novella and charging me $11 for it.

I enjoyed The Slow Regard of Silent Things.  My wife read it having never read the KKC and loved it.

I do desperately want him to finish Doors of Stone.

I want him to finish as well, but more importantly i want him to be open and honest with fans who have invested time and money in his work. I remember spending many hours on this site with Teaspoon, Thistle, Jurble, Ser Scott and a bunch of other people reading WMF closely and discovering many hidden delights in his world.  I now feel shut out, and frankly, disenfranchised as a reader. He doesn't value us his fans enough to bother to update us and that's disheartening. He should learn a lesson from all his peers (at least the ones I read): 

1. Joe Abercrombie (regular progress reports, blog and twitter updates; generally accessible to fans about ongoing work). 

2. Jim Butcher (regular progress reports; blog updates; generally accessible to fans about ongoing work, also occasionally tweets lines etc). 

3. Scott Lynch ( regular progress reports; blog updates; generally accessible to fans about ongoing work; is honest and open about delays and their cause). 

4. Mark Lawrence (regular progress reports; blog updates; generally accessible to fans about ongoing work)

5. Brandon Sanderson  (Bars on website indicating status of work; blog updates; generally accessible to fans about ongoing work).

I understand that Rothfuss writes slower than many of them; that's not my complaint. My beef is that he does a disservice to his fans by not being open and transparent (no matter what the situation is) about the status of the Doors of Stone. Whether that's from some combination of shame/guilt or arrogance or simply busyness, I don't know. But I do know that as a fan I've been waiting patiently but intensely since I finished WMF on March 3, 2011. 

18 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Still willing to bet real money we get Winds of Winter before Doors of Stone. :P

18 hours ago, Claustrophobic Jurble said:

I don't expect to see either book before the end of the decade at this point.

I wouldn't be shocked to get A Dream of Spring before Doors of Stone.

On 7/13/2016 at 5:01 PM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I enjoyed The Slow Regard of Silent Things.  My wife read it having never read the KKC and loved it.

I do desperately want him to finish Doors of Stone.

I found a schizophrenic's relationship between herself and inanimate objects to be less than thrilling reading. I also found that the lack of anything remotely disguised as a plot to be extremely off putting. The author apologized for this before, and after the story. I wasn't impressed with any of it.

Archived