Jessica Jones [AKA This Thread Has Spoilers]

RedEyedGhost

The problem with sticking close to the comics is that the comics were written with fifty years of history behind them, whereas the show is essentially starting from scratch and with a limited backstory that it can engage with.  The Alias comics absolutely relied upon the years worth of backstory to tell the original tale of Jessica Jones.  The show doesn't have that luxury, so they altered a ton of things by necessity.

Honestly, that's one reason I'm kind of disappointed they killed Purple Man.  He was starting to become more like his comic book character near the end of the series and it would have been nice if they had had the option to bring him back, either in Jessica Jones or other Netflix shows.  Granted, maybe they'll just resurrect him, but it will feel cheaper than if they had just left him alive.  

I agree, I was finally starting to enjoy him in those final few episodes. Sticking with the story we were given, there's one change I would have made. When Killgrave's father gives him that final needle that was suppose to send his powers over the roof in the final episode, I would have had made that what finally turned his skin purple. I mean it does for a brief second, when he screams at everyone to "STOP", but it's far too little. I would have at least wished the writers showed us some way in which that final needle altered his powers.

Has anyone come across complaints about Hogarth being a lesbian and the love triangle sub-plot? I've read some whining about it, along the lines of "why does every show these days need to have gay characters as recurring members of the cast?" Has that been commonly seen or is it just a tiny little anti-SJW set who complain about anything that it not straight and white?

TBH, it seems like mainstream TV / movies tend to put gay characters in at least a fairly sympathetic light. Whereas the 3 women in the love triangle are all relatively unsympathetic, in particular Hogarth who seems to be a person with very little in the way of positive character traits: jury tampering, infidelity, making deals with Kilgrave, and probably a few things I can't recall.

I'm rather miffed that Lester Freamon, err I mean Det. Clemons got taken out. I liked him as a proper contact within the police who would come in and out of Jessica's life from time to time.

One thing about Luke Cage. He's not super strong right, just [nearly] indestructible? Though he is super buff, so he's naturally very strong, just not super strong.

Yeah, he can pick up cars and shit. 

Hogarth is female in the TV show?

Oops, spoiler alert I guess. But I guess that somewhat explains some of the complaints about making that a lesbian situation.

Nah he's also got superhuman strength

Well in that case why the eff isn't he already in the movies? Shit he could have done serious alien shit kicking in the battle for NYC in Avengers 1. So he's essentially Hulk-ultralite, only he's still in complete control of himself, which is better than having actual Hulk in most situations except when you need a guy with infinite strength scaling. Means he would fill in the Hulk niche in the Avengers during any extended Hulk hiatus. Is he only indestructible to physical blows? Like can electricity or radiation cause him harm? He can obviously be Kilgraved of course.

Oops, spoiler alert I guess. But I guess that somewhat explains some of the complaints about making that a lesbian situation.

Well in that case why the eff isn't he already in the movies? Shit he could have done serious alien shit kicking in the battle for NYC in Avengers 1. So he's essentially Hulk-ultralite, only he's still in complete control of himself, which is better than having actual Hulk in most situations except when you need a guy with infinite strength scaling. Means he would fill in the Hulk niche in the Avengers during any extended Hulk hiatus. Is he only indestructible to physical blows? Like can electricity or radiation cause him harm? He can obviously be Kilgraved of course.

No worries, I was just surprised a bit, as he's kind of a sleazy, jowly, ambulance chaser type in the older comics. Kind of a cross between a strip mall lawyer and a scammy talent agent.

To the 2nd bit, He doesn't come anywhere close to Hulk or Thor power levels. Maybe a bit stronger than say Spiderman. He can pick up a car, but not throw it a block or anything. On top of that, he doesn't typically fight aliens and the like. He's dedicated to keeping his neighborhood safe. Now if those aliens just happened to attack his neighborhood, then it's on.

No worries, I was just surprised a bit, as he's kind of a sleazy, jowly, ambulance chaser type in the older comics. Kind of a cross between a strip mall lawyer and a scammy talent agent.

To the 2nd bit, He doesn't come anywhere close to Hulk or Thor power levels. Maybe a bit stronger than say Spiderman. He can pick up a car, but not throw it a block or anything. On top of that, he doesn't typically fight aliens and the like. He's dedicated to keeping his neighborhood safe. Now if those aliens just happened to attack his neighborhood, then it's on.

Well they've changed more than the plumbing on Hogarth then.

Ah right. Do we have a quick reference guide for relative super strength 1 = highest "natural" human strength to 10 being superman (mixing universes here I guess). And of course Hulk and Pippi Longstocking being special cases that exist outside of the normal strength guide as they have infinite scaling.

Ah right. Do we have a quick reference guide for relative super strength 1 = highest "natural" human strength to 10 being superman (mixing universes here I guess). And of course Hulk and Pippi Longstocking being special cases that exist outside of the normal strength guide as they have infinite scaling.

Here's a 1 to 1000 scale (Marvel only)

In the old Marvel Universe Compendium comic, they state he has the strength to lift 25 tons. Comparatively, they list the regular Iron Man armor as being able to lift 85 tons.

I would say the show was fairly faithful to the second bit then, though instead of his neighbourhood it was his bar that he took such pride in. And I think a large part of that was his memories of Reva that were associated with it. But still, I did get a sense that he was very much a head down unless trouble can mes to him type (based on this series, which obviously doesn't focus too much on him)

I would say the show was fairly faithful to the second bit then, though instead of his neighbourhood it was his bar that he took such pride in. And I think a large part of that was his memories of Reva that were associated with it. But still, I did get a sense that he was very much a head down unless trouble can mes to him type (based on this series, which obviously doesn't focus too much on him)

Yeah, that sounds pretty spot on. In the comics, he was an ex-gangbanger and ex-con, so after getting out of that life he adopted a "don't start no mess, won't be no mess" sort of an attitude.

Has anyone come across complaints about Hogarth being a lesbian and the love triangle sub-plot? I've read some whining about it, along the lines of "why does every show these days need to have gay characters as recurring members of the cast?" Has that been commonly seen or is it just a tiny little anti-SJW set who complain about anything that it not straight and white?

Some people will always complain about that sort of thing.  I don't see how it really made a difference.  It could just as easily have been a straight male Hogarth and the character would have required only some minor changes.

I agree, I was finally starting to enjoy him in those final few episodes. Sticking with the story we were given, there's one change I would have made. When Killgrave's father gives him that final needle that was suppose to send his powers over the roof in the final episode, I would have had made that what finally turned his skin purple. I mean it does for a brief second, when he screams at everyone to "STOP", but it's far too little. I would have at least wished the writers showed us some way in which that final needle altered his powers.

Then im very glad you're not the director, cause that would have looked stupid as fuck, not to mention really out of place.

Here we have a series involving characters wit non-visible superpowers, which allows the viewer to view it as more of a drama rather than a superhero show.....and then you suddenly get a purple dude running around.

They already appeased the fans enough, he is constantly wearing purple.

Then im very glad you're not the director, cause that would have looked stupid as fuck, not to mention really out of place.

Here we have a series involving characters wit non-visible superpowers, which allows the viewer to view it as more of a drama rather than a superhero show.....and then you suddenly get a purple dude running around.

Yes, I agree with this, certain things that might work in a comic like having him be purple doesn't work in live action. Could you imagine Wolverine in yellow spandex in a live action movie? 

Da heck? I just found out Marvel lore says Kilgrave's ability is pheromone based. Why didn't they stay with that? Could still have been caused by the parents doing sciency shit on him.

I really don't know about this either. Pheromones are a quite cool power. Jessica-Drew (Spider-Woman) has them as has Daken (Wolverines psycho son.) They're kind of a subtle way to manipulate people, or in particularly Daken's case disorient them in a fight.

Yea and a show scared of even using the word "Avengers" too.

I don't see how having him be purple for the last half of the finale would have been a problem. It could have just been the veins which were briefly displayed - only permanent. Superhero shows should never be scared of embracing their roots, even if they are going for a little more of a serious tone. I'm glad he wasn't purple for the entire season because every new person meeting Kilgrave would have wondered why he was purple at it would have ruined the flow of a lot of scenes. But in the final confrontation? He should have been purple.

I don't see how having him be purple for the last half of the finale would have been a problem. It could have just been the veins which were briefly displayed - only permanent. Superhero shows should never be scared of embracing their roots, even if they are going for a little more of a serious tone. I'm glad he wasn't purple for the entire season because every new person meeting Kilgrave would have wondered why he was purple at it would have ruined the flow of a lot of scenes. But in the final confrontation? He should have been purple.

Yeah okay....no, we are not gonna agree on this, so lets just move on here. The shows not afraid of embracing its roots at all, thats why Trish brought up the costume and the mask and why guys like Cage, Trish and even Kilgrave ask Jessica about being a superhero and having a superhero codename.

Archived