Jessica Jones [AKA This Thread Has Spoilers]

RedEyedGhost

I think the annoying twins worked in terms of idea, and in the end I didn't mind Ruben and felt bad when he said 'I love her' and sealed his fate, but Robyn was simply overplayed and overwritten as way too shrill and needlessly antagonistic, so I struggled to feel sympathy for her even when she deserved it.

Other than that, I really liked it. I do agree with the complaints that it was about 2 episodes too long, and that parts of the finale were underwritten (the plan with the hoodie was just pointless), but overall, fantastic.

I love that there are loads of thematic things going on but we aren't bashed over the head with them. Compare the discussion of agency and responsibility, and indeed of casual sexism, here with the cartoon feminism of something like Agent Carter - it's very impressive. Likewise, the exploration of various kinds of exploitative and controlling relationship was done without ever drawing attention to the fact that that's what it was doing, which a lot of shows would have done.

More obviously, pretty much all the characters apart from said neighbours were great (well, proto-Nuke was okay). Jessica and Kilgrave knocked it out the park, obviously, but so did Malcolm, Trish (I really wasn't sure about her character early on but it ended up being a really convincing relationship), Luke, and Hogarth.

I like in particular that Jeri, despite being the slimiest of shady, unscrupulous, storybook lawyers, was written to be an actual person with emotions and hopes and fears, and even at some points something of a sense of honour and morality.

I forgot my biggest gripe with this show, although I have a feeling it's just me as I always think this; of the several thousand times someone said "God damn", not once did it sound like the actor / actress had ever genuinely said it for real in their entire life. It was always horribly delivered. But as I say, this must be either me or a UK / US thing because it always sounds like that in any show. For some reason the way an American says it naturally weirdly translates to bad acting in the UK. I dunno. It really pulled me out of the show though. Funnily enough, I noticed it when watching Carrie Ann Moss in The Matrix years ago, but just put it down to things generally being wooden in those films anyway.

I have a personal fan theory on why Killgrave's power stopped working on Jessica, and it actually has nothing to do with her at all. I personally think that his powers are manifested through his voice commands, but it is his intentions that actually executes them. He couldn't control Jessica anymore because subconsciously he did not want to. He wanted the one thing that he never had in his life and that was a normal interaction with someone else.

This brings up something I wanted to make a point of. It is indeed Purple Man's intentions and the understanding of these intentions which screw you. People keep asking why people didn't just wear earplugs. Purple Man's abilities are pheromone -- or in the case of the show, "virus" -- based. His voice isn't what gets you, so earplugs are pointless if you can understand what he wants you do, via lip reading or other clearly defined actions. So unless you can avoid looking at him in addition to wearing earplugs, he's still pretty difficult to stop.

This brings up something I wanted to make a point of. It is indeed Purple Man's intentions and the understanding of these intentions which screw you. People keep asking why people didn't just wear earplugs. Purple Man's abilities are pheromone -- or in the case of the show, "virus" -- based. His voice isn't what gets you, so earplugs are pointless if you can understand what he wants you do, via lip reading or other clearly defined actions. So unless you can avoid looking at him in addition to wearing earplugs, he's still pretty difficult to stop.

I would wager that the average person can't lip read much more than a couple of words unless they are really focused on doing so, and if you're wearing earplugs to avoid listening to Kilgrave you're probably focused on something other than reading his lips.

I would wager that the average person can't lip read much more than a couple of words unless they are really focused on doing so, and if you're wearing earplugs to avoid listening to Kilgrave you're probably focused on something other than reading his lips.

I dunno about you, but I know what someone is saying when they scream stop and hold their hands up, even if I'm not hearing them say the words. Purple Man's power is understanding his intentions, not hearing them. That's the only thing you need to understand. Stop is universal. I'm not talking intricate commands.

I dunno about you, but I know what someone is saying when they scream stop and hold their hands up, even if I'm not hearing them say the words. Purple Man's power is understanding his intentions, not hearing them. That's the only thing you need to understand. Stop is universal. I'm not talking intricate commands.

Well yeah it he just yells a one word command like stop, but if you were wearing earplugs and he didn't know, he might not have the effect on you that he thinks he does.

I haven't seen anyone ask why people don't just wear earplugs, mostly I'd imagine because someone did just wear earplugs.
If you think of it logically as a virus that infects people you have to then say that being in the hermetically sealed room shouldn't stop him controlling anyone who'd been in his presence in the last 12 hours, like Jessica just after she put him in, because they'd still be infected- but obviously that isn't the case. You just have to accept the rules as given to us.

I've seen people ask why they didn't try the ploy with Trish earlier.

How much earlier are you talking about here? It's not a terrible ploy for when you are in a specific confrontation with Killgrave. (E.g. The finale) but as a general strategy (e.g. After she had her radio outburst) it's not really practical to walk around like that 24/7, especially Trish, being something of a minor celebrity.

How much earlier are you talking about here? It's not a terrible ploy for when you are in a specific confrontation with Killgrave. (E.g. The finale) but as a general strategy (e.g. After she had her radio outburst) it's not really practical to walk around like that 24/7, especially Trish, being something of a minor celebrity.

Yeah, it actually turned out a good thing they had the trick available as a surprise. I think Trish was looking down as she walked forward as well btw. Perhaps Jessica knew that he could command by gestures like stop.

Maybe they'll clear up how Jessica resisted next season. I'm still not certain on it.

Yeah, it actually turned out a good thing they had the trick available as a surprise. I think Trish was looking down as she walked forward as well btw. Perhaps Jessica knew that he could command by gestures like stop.

Maybe they'll clear up how Jessica resisted next season. I'm still not certain on it.

yes she kept her head down. But I think that was more to do with trying to make Killgrave think she was Jessica (hence why she was wearing Jessica's outfit)

I'm a bit sad they didn't go with the preacher subplot and hire a whole bunch of guys that don't understand English.

You see clever writing like that, is something I can respect. Very good catch man, very good indeed.

I didn't like Trinity's wife either. She was an annoying person. I wouldn't even chalk that up to bad writing or a flat character like I normally would, she just struck me as a very 'hurt feelings' kinda person. 90% of your wife's life work? Are you fucking kidding me? You deserve to have your skull bashed in for thinking you deserve that.

Mind linking me to one. I'd love to read it.

Sure.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/review-after-marvels-jessica-jones-youll-never-see-purple-the-same-way

What's more, fans of the comics will be delighted with this adaptation of Brian Michael Bendis and Michael Gaydos' "Alias" series published by Marvel's mature readers MAX imprint. While the show is completely accessible for viewers who have never even heard of the character before, it relies on the comics in a fun, faithful way; panels are shown shot-for-shot and lines are lifted directly from the source material, all without making the scenes feel stilted or forced. The references and nods to the comic will leave longtime fans cheering. As true as it is to the source material, the show does veer off into new storylines, as any adaptation is wont to do. In doing so, the show skillfully updates the character, who was created over a decade ago in a time before the ubiquitousness of smart phones. In addition to artfully using these developments to the plot's benefit, this keeps the story feeling fresh and full of surprises.

I didn't like Trinity's wife either. She was an annoying person. I wouldn't even chalk that up to bad writing or a flat character like I normally would, she just struck me as a very 'hurt feelings' kinda person. 90% of your wife's life work? Are you fucking kidding me? You deserve to have your skull bashed in for thinking you deserve that.

The script is clear she doesn't want it because she thinks she deserves it: she just wants to hurt Hogarth the only way she can. Asking for 50% wouldn't do that (that's just an even split), so she asks for 70%, only going to 90% after Hogarth sends Jessica to threaten her. She's not even negotiating about it - she's just lashing out.

Sure.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/review-after-marvels-jessica-jones-youll-never-see-purple-the-same-way

The script is clear she doesn't want it because she thinks she deserves it: she just wants to hurt Hogarth the only way she can. Asking for 50% wouldn't do that (that's just an even split), so she asks for 70%, only going to 90% after Hogarth sends Jessica to threaten her. She's not even negotiating about it - she's just lashing out.

Ohh, with a title like "You'll Never See the Purple Man The Same Way Again", I already know I'm going to hate this review. Because as said before he's not a creepy stalker in the comics. The review goes on to compare Ritter to RDJ. I'll admit Ritter is good, but to say she's in that league is just silly. About the only thing I do agree with the Review on is the fact that Luke cage is awesome.

I love how the show has to rely on the rape card, because Killgrave making Jessica into his puppet for a year and making her watch him rape women in front of her isn't dark enough apparently, let alone making her beg for it. Granted when you reduce one of Marvels darker villains into a crazy stalker I suppose you have no choice, but to use to the rape card.

^I don't understand the rape card* statement. Maybe I'm just being thick here. But could you please explain.

*I'm always among those who criticise writers for using rape to torment female characters because I feel it's just a way for women to be punished for being women. And it's lazy as hell. But like I said, I'm struggling to understand your statement about the rape card here. 

Archived