Why wasn't Ser Gregor charged during the tourney of the hand?

True.Kitn902

I mean Ser Gregor is only a knight and he attacked Ser Loras Tyrell in a fit of rage from what all the Nobles would view as being a sore loser since most didn't realize Ser Loras had cheated, and not only did he attack Ser Loras who is also from arguably the strongest house in Westeros he tried to KILL him. I know Robert didn't care much but what about the Tyrells you would think they would earge Robert to press  charges which was well within there rights and how could Robert refuse such a powerful house? 

Also you would think a family so rich as the Tyrells would have Ser Gregor murdered behind the scenes  for even thinking he was in a league  to look at Ser Loras let alone try and murder him in front of the kingdom. 

I'll assume its because Robert didn't want a conflict with the Lannisters and because Loras may not have made a big thing of it. Its not like Mace will log in on Facebook and get ten thousand pictures and videos of it. And like people said, the Mountain is the Mountain, and Loras was not actually hurt.

He attacked him just after a Joust. He will not have been the first knight who took it to far but as no one was actually hurt nothing would have been deemed to be illegal. Had he been attacked in public there may have been more justification for charging him but not in a tourney were jousting and melees were taking place.

The laws in Westeros are very different to modern day ones, the only way Gregor is charged is if Loras makes a lawful complaint to the King (unlikely given the circumstances) or that the King has a personal vendetta against Gregor and needs an excuse to punish him.

Also consider the King, he didnt charge Ned or Jaime for actually disrupting the kings peace in the middle of a street were there was an actual body count. He was never going to do the same at a violent sporting event when no one died.

He lost his temper and attacked an armoured knight, who was trained for years to the point where few could match him, to fight back. It wasn't as though he attacked Joffrey or anyone like that. Plus, he had legitimate cause to be angry, plus he was useful to the crown if needed given the Baratheon - Lannister alliance.

And if Gregor ever took the stand, the Tyrells would probably be laughed back to Highgarden for taking such measures against someone of his mental state.

The Mountain was Tywin's pet and puppet.   He doesn't seem to have much thought outside rape, murder, torture, rage and pillage.   Though I realize the scene with Loras was to show The Hound as a good guy, it always bothered me that Gregor simply disappeared afterward.   Could it be that he was sent to kill Loras?  Could it be that Tywin through Cersei or someone else, got him out of there before he could cause any further problem?  

Chivalry, within the honor system of Westeros. Loras would have looked weak for trying to "press charges" against the mountain for his intended actions. By Westeros martial way of dealing with crimes and judgements then it would have been expected of ser Loras do defend his honour by duelling with the mountain which might not have been what the Tyrell's wanted and anyway the mountain fled in disgrace and it was just possibly overlooked

Loras didn't die so I guess no harm done. If Gregor had succeeded in maiming or murdering Loras then the Tyrells would be pretty pissed and Robert along with Tywin will have no choice but to punish the Mountain less they want to make war with the Tyrells.

if it was someone other than the mountain then, yes, id assume the tyrells would have eventually tried to retaliate in one way or another against him. but again, this is the mountain. some people think hes a top 5-10 fighter while others assume hes just bigger and stronger than everyone else. either way, gregor is the single most feared fighter in the series. it would cost a lot of money and probably a decently large group of men to go into the clegane lands and then take down gregor and his men. this would definitely draw the lannisters attention - which is the main reason why there was basically no backlash against gregor from either robert or the tyrells. 

robert wanted all the targaryens dead and that included the children who could possibly oppose him. robert didnt want to do this himself because its not the best look for the new reigning king and family. well, tywin helped him out with this problem through gregor. unless gregor killed or seriously injured loras, robert wouldnt take a stand against a man who did a very ugly favor for him. 

since loras wasnt hurt in the attack theres also not really anything they could charge him with. its not like a knight attacked a member of the royal family or a commoner randomly attacked a knight or lord. sandor was given the champions purse for saving loras' life and gregor was humiliated in the process. thats basically westeros version of justice.

He's a warrior.  He attacked another warrior, at a tournament arranged for exactly that purpose.  Loras is a warrior too.  What's he supposed to do, whine and cry that the big man was being mean to him?  It would be unseemly.  The attitude of a warrior is "I can take care of myself."

Yes, if Gregor had killed Loras, there might have been a problem.  But that did not happen.  So ... no harm, no foul.

Gregor acted in an un chivalrous manner but that is hardly a chargeable offense.

He is after all known to be no more than a barely controllable beast on two legs. For that matter Loras acted in an un chivalrous manner by bringing a mare in heat to the lists to face a stallion.

Archived