What's a good whiskey?

Tellus Explorer

that's too broad a question for a whisk(e)y nerd to answer. The question comes down to:

Does he like:

Blended scotch
Single malt scotch
Bourbon
American whiskey
Rye
Other

So what does he drink already that he likes? (just give us some names -- don't sweat what kind of whiskey it is, if you're not familiar with the styles)

OK, that helps narrow things down a bit. Monkey Shoulder is a blended scotch with Glenfiddich, Balvenie and Kininvie. Those three malts are all pretty easy-drinking (e.g. not a peat-bomb), so I'd suggest getting him Balvenie Caribbean Cask. It's tasty, it's unusual, and it'll likely appeal to his palate.

For a friendlier price-point, try the Dalwhinnie 15 year or the Glenlivet 12. Another smooth favorite is the Highland Park.

Laphroaig is one of my personal favorites.  It tastes a bit like trying to drink a mouthful of charred wood mixed with dark peaty soil.  Wonderful :)

That said...not everyone likes the power of that flavor.  A bit milder offering might be MacCallan.  I feel it to be a bit mild, not totally to my taste, but also not bad in any way.

Glenfiddich also has pleasant offerings, somewhere between the two I just named.

Cheers :)

He likes bourbon as well, but not as much as scotch. Uh....I know I've seen him drinking Aberlour A'bunadh and Glendronach 15

I recently had the Glenfarclas 105. That one is in the same vein as the Aberlour. Might want to try to pick that up. It's cask strength and will put hair on everyone's chest.

You could also try a Japanese single malt, if you want to do something a little different. The quality is very high for the price, and they are much more pleasant than say my favourite, Ardbeg.

A Japanese single malt typically holds a lot of wood flavours (vanilla, caramel, coconut) and a wide array of citrus.

Archived