European politics: Into the "right" futur

Biglose

• 2 weeks later...

Mass sexual assaults, assaults and robberies in at least 3 German cities on NYE. Perpetrators described as North African and Arab migrants. Mob upwards of 1000 people in Cologne with 90 crimes reported at least 1 rape.

German media slept on the story for 3 days. Mayor of Cologne essentially blames the victims. Advises women to keep foreigners "at arms length" wtf ever that is supposed to mean.

Germany forced to consider scaling down Carnival celebrations as a result.

Silence from the good feels is alternatingly deafening and disgusting.

The events in Cologne are disgusting and completely reprehensible. I would hope that a lot of effort is put in by the police to track down the perpetrators, wherever they come from, and deal with them according to German law. Especially since reports suggest that there was some organisation involved, it seems as though identifying the root causes is especially important. That investigation shouldn't be rushed and shouldn't jump to conclusions, but if it does turn out that a. it's inextricably tied to the refugee crisis and b. the conditions are in place for many more such events then I guess Germany will have to re-evaluate its policies accordingly...

ST

Thats unfortunatly easier said than done. One major problem is that german politicans have not a lot of know how in how to deal with a situation like that. The same goes for the media. They are trying the old tactics of saying there is also sexism and violence in the rest of the society. You can't deminish the victims in cases like that, you can't go into what if scenarios. The media in germany and the government in germany used to live in a world where comments they made went by more or less unchallenged. Nobody really fact checked what they said.
They are kind of used to talk down to the public like a teacher to students. Espacially newspapers like die Süddeutsche and I read a particularly awful article in the Taz. The offical TV stations (payed by taxpayer money) are in quite of a difficult situation, because they kept silent on the issue for 3-4 days. (Together with a lot of the mainstream media)

It was left to the Bild and some right wing conspiracy media sides to report the event. (Die Bild as a model of journalist integrity, well I would like to say that I never thought I would live to see this day, but we were going in that direction for quite a while so...Yeah, but not that soon)

And then to react like die Süddeutsche oder Taz and to start talking down to people or even directly trying to play it down, blame the victims up to the claim that if they would have been harresed by white people they would not have felt harressed so they would not have reported it to the police... And keep in mind all of that after 4 days trying to sit it out. (Combine that with old school victim blaming by the major of Cologne which in this situation even made less sense than normal, which means it made negative sense. )

Frankly, I do not get it actually. Are there simply some people with such a lack of empathy that they can't see how people will react if they are addressed/talked to like that in such a situation?

And of course it is not a singular event in Cologne, rather there are similar reports from Hamburg, Stuttgart, Berlin and other cities.

This is what you get with nebulously defined hate speech laws and social engineering.

It's not just German media.

Reddit deleted the topic numerous times and shadow banned posters.

No different than the UK authorities and media suppressing the Pakistani migrant sex slave ring in Rotherham.

The left refuses to make any overtures toward reforming these cultures while handing their nations over. Anyone who dares state the obvious is branded a Nazi.

Face it. Trump was right.

This is what you get with nebulously defined hate speech laws and social engineering.

No different than the UK authorities and media suppressing the Pakistani migrant sex slave ring in Rotherham.

The left refuses to make any overtures toward reforming these cultures while handing their nations over. Anyone who dares state the obvious is branded a Nazi.

I'd say it's a bit misguided to blame "the left" when both Germany and the UK are ruled by conservative parties.

UKIP not in power during the Rotherham coverup.

Just LOL at Merkle being conservative with that immigration policy.

Up your game Europe.

Hungary and Poland have conservative governments.

UK, Germany and Sweden might be right in the absurd Overton window of hyper progressive Western Europe. But even that is a joke.

UKIP not in power during the Rotherham coverup.

Just LOL at Merkle being conservative with that immigration policy.

Up your game Europe.

Hungary and Poland have conservative governments.

UK, Germany and Sweden might be right in the absurd Overton window of hyper progressive Western Europe. But even that is a joke.

The Rotherham scandal took place under a Labour council. However, Oxfordshire County Council has been similarly negligent in preventing child sexual exploitation, and that body is Conservative-run.

There does seem to be a common theme of authorities overlooking child abuse in order to preserve " good community relations."

"Trump was right" is not a conclusion based on the facts, but rather an affirmation of your own anger and self-righteousness as a reaction to the facts.

Wildling,

I was about to link to that.  It says nothing about the gangs of men being migrants.  Why is this being linking to the immigration issue?

From Wildling's link:

Cologne Mayor Henriette Reker said the attacks were "monstrous". "We cannot allow this to become a lawless area," she said, insisting that visitors could not come to the city fearing attack.

German Justice Minister Heiko Maas tweeted that "we won't tolerate these abhorrent assaults on women - all those responsible must be brought to justice".

One man described how his partner and 15-year-old daughter were surrounded by an enormous crowd outside the station and he was unable to help. "The attackers grabbed her and my partner's breasts and groped them between their legs."

A British woman visiting Cologne said fireworks had been thrown at her group by men who spoke neither German nor English. "They were trying to hug us, kiss us. One man stole my friend's bag," she told the BBC. "Another tried to get us into his 'private taxi'. I've been in scary and even life-threatening situations and I've never experienced anything like that."

Stinkhole,

No, women do not want to be gropped and fondled by random men in big packs.

Archived