College Basketball 2016: Wide Open on the Way to March

Rhom

And having no consistent shooters bit us in the rear today. Ugly, ugly game we could have won. Held Buddy Heiuld(?) in check for the most part and played well on D. Alas, I have a feeling this won't be the last time our lack of offense will negate an otherwise good performance. Still think we have a shot to win BIGXII title. We're a very good team, just wish we could get more consistent play on the offensive end.

If you'll pardon me, I will just be sitting over here in the corner watching highlights of next year's class.

:bang: 

What's that scholarship situation looking like?  This is what I'm envisioning...

giphy.gif

A sacrifice must be made!

What's that scholarship situation looking like?  This is what I'm envisioning...

giphy.gif

A sacrifice must be made!

That's the tricky part... Cal has openly said we are recruiting one more big (we are said to be the favorite for Marques Booden) and that would make six.

Poythress graduates.  Murray goes pro.  EJ Floreal is a preferred walk on with a scholarship this year and will give it up.

Where do we get the other three???  That is the subject of much speculation on UK message boards.  If some combination of Ulis,Briscoe,Skal, and Lee leave, then you really don't wind up with any experience on next year's team.

:dunno:  

That's the tricky part... Cal has openly said we are recruiting one more big (we are said to be the favorite for Marques Booden) and that would make six.

Poythress graduates.  Murray goes pro.  EJ Floreal is a preferred walk on with a scholarship this year and will give it up.

Where do we get the other three???  That is the subject of much speculation on UK message boards.  If some combination of Ulis,Briscoe,Skal, and Lee leave, then you really don't wind up with any experience on next year's team.

:dunno:  

None of those guys look even close to being ready for the pros...  These kids are clearly very talented, and I don't understand why Calipari wouldn't want to keep talented freshmen around to become talented sophomores.  But the grass is always greener I guess.  Although, I'm sure enjoying all of our experience this year.

I've also heard that you guys lead for Bolden, and I just can't wrap my head around it.  Will we see the return of the platoons next year?  The only reasoning I can see is that his handler is the guy who wrote all of those article about Randle when he was in high school, so I assume he's in Bolden's ear about becoming the next Randle at UK.

Number four Michigan State lost to Wisconsin today, so I think just sliding them into that slot sounds about right.

Don't know Bolden's story, but if we land him all of a sudden the "best class ever" title set so recently by Randle, Young, and the Harrisons will have to be passed on.  Some fans and local media have mentioned the platoons, but I think to fit in six new players the leftovers won't be good enough to push guys like Bam, Monk, and Fox for minutes.

Two top ten teams lost back to back last week (Arizona and Virginia) and three did this week - MSU, Miami, and Duke.  How many spots will Duke move up in the rankings?

Well they did show great effort in close games and Coach K was classy as hell in defeat, so I'd say a move up to #8 is in order.

Well they did show great effort in close games and Coach K was classy as hell in defeat, so I'd say a move up to #8 is in order.

And K is very relatable in those SportsCenter commercials where he has his grandkids text Justice Winslow. 

On January 16, 2016 at 5:43 PM, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

And having no consistent shooters bit us in the rear today. Ugly, ugly game we could have won. Held Buddy Heiuld(?) in check for the most part and played well on D. Alas, I have a feeling this won't be the last time our lack of offense will negate an otherwise good performance. Still think we have a shot to win BIGXII title. We're a very good team, just wish we could get more consistent play on the offensive end.

Yea it was a close one that we likely would have won if we shot better from the foul line and committed a few less fouls ourselves.  I'm disappointed that we lost of course, but I don't feel too bad about the performance. 

This week we beat the #1 team by double digits and took the #2 team down to the last seconds at their place.  I was pretty concerned that we were going to flop against OU after coming off the emotional high of beating #1 and getting into the spotlight a little bit because of it.  The fact that we fought them pretty hard, lead for a decent portion of the game in a hostile environment, and nearly won in the end tells me two things:

1.  This WVU team is right on time for this volatile season with no clearly dominant team.  In a one game scenario we can beat any team in the country and that is very good news.  I'm sure we will lose a few Big 12 road games, but on a neutral court, as in the NCAA tourney, the Mountaineers are going to be very dangerous.

2. OU loses Saturday's game if it's played in Morgantown.  We will beat them on the return trip if they don't adjust their game plan for the next round.  Turning it into an ugly game is exactly what we want to do.  When chaos reigns on the floor WVU thrives.  We are used to playing that way and most other teams are not.  OU shot like 90% from the line and most teams will not be able to do that. Huggs is kind of an evil genius haha.

Interesting desicion for Skal.  Obviously his draft stock has slipped a lot, going from top of the draft to probably middle of the first round. If he has a big year next year, he's back in the top 5.  But... If it turns out he's just not that great, he's done for.  You can still go high in the draft after one bad year, but once you're a sophomore and still don't produce you're never getting that draft status back.

49 minutes ago, sperry said:

Interesting desicion for Skal.  Obviously his draft stock has slipped a lot, going from top of the draft to probably middle of the first round. If he has a big year next year, he's back in the top 5.  But... If it turns out he's just not that great, he's done for.  You can still go high in the draft after one bad year, but once you're a sophomore and still don't produce you're never getting that draft status back.

Agreed.  I think at this point you almost have to strike while the iron's hot.

He's an interesting project for sure.  When you think about it, he missed his junior year due to injury and basically didn't play any high level ball last year; so his hype was entirely based on some lower level AAU ball when he was 15.  His problems are (I believe) 100% mental at this point as he just looks absolutely lost out there.  He has difficulties catching the ball and then struggles to make quick decisions with the ball after he gets it.  In many ways, I think he will be better served moving to the four and playing away from the basket a bit.  I don't know that a back to the basket game is in his best interest.

If he returns, he will struggle to find time if he does not improve dramatically.  If we land Bolden, that makes our frontcourt next year consist of Bolden, Bam Adebayo, Sacha-Kileya Jones, and Wenyon Gabriel... out of those four, only Gabriel isn't a McD AA and that's because he is a fifth year senior at a prep school and is ineligible for the game.  Finding playing time next year won't be easy.

That game was fantastic.  My phone has some weird stuff going on when I try to post a reply in a thread, so I had to come downstairs and fire up the desktop just to respond.

Happy for Steve Prohm to get a huge win at ISU.  This is really setting up to be a crazy March. :thumbsup: 

1 hour ago, RedEyedGhost said:

That was an amazing game.  I thought that 40 footer as the shot clock expired would demoralize ISU, but they kept fighting.

That shot was crazy.  OU kept hitting big shots and ISU came right back at them.

Archived