I think Jon vs Dany is the real dance of dragons

I_eat_unicorns

With Jon vs Dany, I think it would really fit both character's arcs, assuming R+L = J is true, because of the huge parallels in their experiences of starting as someone with nothing, but then acquiring power through their leaderships, and then dealing with the consequences of said leaderships. For Jon it got him temporarily killed, and for Dany she basically had mereen/other cities go against her.

So I think this is how it would go down: Jon probably leaves the nights watch after his revival, he will take the wildlings, rally other northern lords, and fight the boltons, after which the northern lord will recognize him as a true stark, and want him to finish what robb started in an independent north. We know Jon wanted to be a stark all his life, and wanted the admiration ned gave to robb, so he'll probably feel that its his destiny to rule an independent north and fight against the others, or some similar shit.

Meanwhile, Dany somehow finds out that she has a relative, and at first she's ecstatic, and she joins Jon in fighting the whitewalkers. She gives Jon one of her dragons to help kill them all. They push the whitewalker forces all the way north, go all the way to the lands of always winter, into that huge fortress of the whitewalkers, find trapped benjen, and kill the whitewalkers forever.

But its not a happily ever after. Once Dany finds out Jon wants a free north, she refuses and thinks that the north is her's to rule by right. She uses drogon (cause the other dragons died in battle with the others) to burn winterfell, but Jon survives and rages. He takes whatever forces he can muster since most of humanity has been wiped out at this point, and goes against her, and the punchline twist for this series would be "Jon kills Dany" or something like that, like "snape kills dumbledore".

Cause in a lot of fantasies, you never really have two heroes who were developed from the start go against each other. Thats usually only the case when its the main character and his best friend who's a guy, but the friend gets kidnapped/betrays the main character, and the main character has to fight his best friend in the rain while yelling "You were my brother! The brother I loved!" or some cheesy crap like that. This would be way different, or how would you go about it, if you think it would happen?

Also Aegon is a phony, who was introduced way too late in the story to warrant any care. Like, he may as well be an evil cliche prince.

fAegon is the lie that Dany will have to slay.

He is the "cloth dragon" amidst a "cheering crowd", meaning that he will have support of most likely from the Faith, Martells and their vassals, the Tyrells (who will back stab the Lannisters) and their vassals, the Hightowers, and the crownlands (who initially supported Aegon II during DoD 1.0).  Dany will ironically have the support of the Houses that rebel against House Targaryen in Robert's Rebellion, the Baratheons, Arryns, Tullys, and their respective vassals; although may not have the Starks.  They will arrive towards the end, but for another reason (almost similar to Cregan Stark marching south late in the war).

For it to be a true "Dance" 2.0, Dany and her faction must fight someone worthy enough.  fAegon has dragon blood (via Blackfyre/Brightflame line).  He will attempt to claim a dragon towards the end of the war, and he will be eaten by Drogon.

This will be a mix of Dance + Blackfyre rebellion.

"That night she dreamt that she was Rhaegar, riding to the Trident. But she was mounted on a dragon, not a horse. When she saw the Usurper’s rebel host across the river they were armored all in ice, but she bathed them in dragonfire and the melted away like dew and turned the Trident into a torrent.”

"Snow," an eagle cried, as foemen scuttled up the ice like spiders. Jon was armored in black ice, but his sword burned red in his fist. As the dead men reached the top of the Wall he sent them down to die again.

"That night she dreamt that she was Rhaegar, riding to the Trident. But she was mounted on a dragon, not a horse. When she saw the Usurper’s rebel host across the river they were armored all in ice, but she bathed them in dragonfire and the melted away like dew and turned the Trident into a torrent.”

"Snow," an eagle cried, as foemen scuttled up the ice like spiders. Jon was armored in black ice, but his sword burned red in his fist. As the dead men reached the top of the Wall he sent them down to die again.

This.

They have a significant conflict of interest. They have different wars to fight, but somehow they ARE going to cross paths, but I don't think they'll do so, initially, as allies. 

Your analysis is a bit more interesting than most "Jon vs Dany" theories in that it does have them working together against the WW which to me is consistent with both of their characters and doesn't require either of them to act completely evil/out of character or rely on a turnaround like "the WW are really the good guys and only dragons are a real threat, donchaknow"

yet it disappointingly ends up going the same way as all of them do.  Which is that inexplicably and out of character Dany suddenly turns into a raging psycho that turns on her allies, won't listen to reason, and starts burning down castles/innocent civilians.

Like most of these analysis it ends up  with "girl be crazy" as the final "twist".  How boring.  

ETA: I certainly hope if Jon vs Dany happens that there is a damn good reason for both of them to act the way they do. And I'm sure there will be - if anything is true about GRRMs writing it's that he prioritizes character first.  Unlike most fan theories.

Came in to post this. While I believe the Dance 2.0 will be Dany vs. (f)Aegon (and possibly other characters), I think Jon and Dany will come to blows before the series is over.

Came in to post this. While I believe the Dance 2.0 will be Dany vs. (f)Aegon (and possibly other characters), I think Jon and Dany will come to blows before the series is over.

Yeah, Jon vs Dany is such a great idea in the vein of Superman vs Batman and Captain America vs Iron Man that I don't see GRRM not doing it. 

Yeah, Jon vs Dany is such a great idea in the vein of Superman vs Batman and Captain America vs Iron Man that I don't see GRRM not doing it. 

I'm curious if y'all have an idea for how this would happen because I've yet to see anyone actually propose a scenario that seems at all in character for both of them.  "Dany randomly turns into crazy psycho bitch" being the most common option.  But "WW are really the good guys" being a close second (and usually in combo with th first).  Each of these theories require one or the other or both of these two people to start massacring or allowing the massacre of a multitude of innocents for their own selfish gain.

I'm curious if y'all have an idea for how this would happen because I've yet to see anyone actually propose a scenario that seems at all in character for both of them.  "Dany randomly turns into crazy psycho bitch" being the most common option.  But "WW are really the good guys" being a close second (and usually in combo with th first).  Each of these theories require one or the other or both of these two people to start massacring or allowing the massacre of a multitude of innocents for their own selfish gain.

"The Starks, and by extension Jon, throw their lot with Aegon, possibly after he marries Sansa" or "Jon realizes he has a better claim to the throne than Dany" 

I sort of have this feeling that the ice armor means the Stark people rather than the Others, but I have no idea about the role of the Others, though.

People use these passages, but I think the first one is just dany killing the whitewalkers on her dragon, and the second is jon on top of the wall trying to fight off the wights with a flaming sword. 

"That night she dreamt that she was Rhaegar, riding to the Trident. But she was mounted on a dragon, not a horse. When she saw the Usurper’s rebel host across the river they were armored all in ice, but she bathed them in dragonfire and the melted away like dew and turned the Trident into a torrent.”

"Snow," an eagle cried, as foemen scuttled up the ice like spiders. Jon was armored in black ice, but his sword burned red in his fist. As the dead men reached the top of the Wall he sent them down to die again.

Your analysis is a bit more interesting than most "Jon vs Dany" theories in that it does have them working together against the WW which to me is consistent with both of their characters and doesn't require either of them to act completely evil/out of character or rely on a turnaround like "the WW are really the good guys and only dragons are a real threat, donchaknow"

yet it disappointingly ends up going the same way as all of them do.  Which is that inexplicably and out of character Dany suddenly turns into a raging psycho that turns on her allies, won't listen to reason, and starts burning down castles/innocent civilians.

Like most of these analysis it ends up  with "girl be crazy" as the final "twist".  How boring.  

ETA: I certainly hope if Jon vs Dany happens that there is a damn good reason for both of them to act the way they do. And I'm sure there will be - if anything is true about GRRMs writing it's that he prioritizes character first.  Unlike most fan theories.

Most theories that suggest Jon will fight Dany have that notion be the endgame, not the whitewalkers. Though I agree that it would have to show it in their character, and I seriously doubt that it would be over the iron throne like most dany vs jon theories are about. 

Jon will definitely fight Dany, and they will be two opposite factions in the final battle between North and South, ice and fire.

I think Jon is destined to become King of Winter and take Stark as his name, I mean, that is all he wanted his whole life. Once the Wall falls there is going to be a great battle between White Walkers and Jon near Winterfell.

Jon, more harsh and ruthless than ever especially after his stabbing, will embody these badass Stark kings of old and unite northern lords and wildlings into single army to fight the invasion.

With blood magic Bran would be able to take away the main advantage of WWs - the undead army (Coldhands and Telltale game episode 10 set precedent for that). If the undead army is out of the way, then it is Jon with his Longclaw against WWs, and we know he is gonna woop some ass. After WWs are defeated Jon will make a new pact with them and be called King of Winter since he literally defeated Winter itself. 

By that time the Dance of Dragons between Dany and fAegon will conclude, and ultimate chaos and destruction by Dothrakis and dragons  will be felt all over South. Dany's dragons will grow to monstrous sizes by that time, especially Drogon, and become main threat for the North (everything north of the Neck, including True North since Jon added it to his kingdom after the Wall collapsed).

If Dany conquers South and brings Fire and Blood there, while Jon defeats White Walkers and proclaims himself King of Winter over all land north of the Neck, the conflict between these two is inevitable, and honestly that is what the whole series coming to, the final battle between Jon and Dany. His Targaryen blood will give him advantage against dragons and help him become king of whole Westeros, becoming a song of ice and fire.

Jon has never been "harsh and ruthless".  I mean I guess if you really want him to become an evil bastard after coming back from the dead so he can ultimaty become sole ruler of Westeros... Then... Ok?? I guess Jon wins and everyone else loses.  Yeyz

And yet again we have the "Dany rains down destruction on Westeros despite there being no basis for that in her character besides over-interpretation of a single throwaway line about trees" theory rearing its ugly head.  There's simply no way that Dany would not help if the WW were invading (savior complex) and other than the proposed sudden personality change there's no way that Jon wouldn't accept such help. 

Arianne's Winds of Winter preview chapters heavily hint at a Dance of the Dragons taking place in Dorne, involving literal dragons. The simpler interpretation to this, would be Dany vs Aegon, and personally I believe in simplicity as the most elegant solution most of the times.

Archived