Rant and Rave Without Repercussions - Includes Season 6 Spoilers

HexMachina

5 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

I think there's a good chance... After all, since the derailing of the show became more evident and characters' became completely different people (s 3), he released Mercy before s 4 and the Sansa chapter last year before s 5. And this year is the season that "will start diverging a bit", according to Benioff. A sample chapter would be cool, and I'd love for it to be a PoV that's been completely butchered and changed n the show. 

I want Bran ... but one of his would probably give away a lot? 

4 hours ago, LadySoftheart said:

So that would be ... any book character at all, really :P

But if he does release a chapter, we'll know that that POV will be the one whose presentation on the show goes most counter to GRRM's intentions! Please don't be Jaime!

Yup! :lol:

But why not Jaime? He's one of the PoVs whose storyline has been butchered, altered, and just plain pissed on the most! :P

1 hour ago, Tijgy said:

I want Bran ... but one of his would probably give away a lot? 

I'd love a Bran chapter! But it would probably give too much away, and Bran hasn't been butchered much by the show [yet], so I don't think he'd pick Bran.

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

Yup! :lol:

But why not Jaime? He's one of the PoVs whose storyline has been butchered, altered, and just plain pissed on the most! :P

I somehow doubt that because it gives too much away. Just look at his last chapter: It is nearly certain that his first TWoW chapter will be after facing Lady Stoneheart (I'm assuming that the LSH chapter itself will be from Brienne's POV because it is her moral dilemma after all).

Damn... too many cliffhangers in ADwD... There aren't many POVs left. Tyrion, Barristan and Victarion would give away the battle of Meereen. Another Theon or Asha chapter would give away the battle for Winterfell. Cersei would give away the Trial by Combat between FrankenQyburn's Mountain and Lancel. Jon and Melisandre would give away his resurrection. I'm also assuming Bran will give away a huge twist regarding the intentions of the CotF.

Maybe a Griff chapter instead? Or a Dany chapter with her wrecking Vaes Dothrak? Or Sam and Sarella's wacky adventures at Anti-Hogwarts? Who else is left?

3 minutes ago, aFeastForDragons said:

Damphair chapter

He has offered to read it before at conventions so it presumably doesn't give away too much. He also said is a very strange chapter. 

A bit too strange for my liking. He is one of the few POVs I really can't grasp the purpose of. I must admit I therefore find him quite boring, but oh well, it is a possibility.

50 minutes ago, aFeastForDragons said:

Damphair chapter

He has offered to read it before at conventions so it presumably doesn't give away too much. He also said is a very strange chapter. 

Isn't it redundant to say that a Damphair chapter is strange? :lol:

Some news on the Screen Actors Guild Awards

http://watchersonthewall.com/game-of-thrones-cast-members-give-interviews-on-the-red-carpet/#more-55239

Nikolaj has a beard, nikolaj has a beard, nikolaj has a beard, ... :D Does this mean Jaime will have a beard? (Please? - Michiel Huisman has one too. So probably no hype?

http://watchersonthewall.com/game-of-thrones-at-the-sag-awards-tonight/#more-55149

And they won one award at the SAGs (the Performance by a Stunt Ensemble Award) but the Cast Ensemble or Male Actor

(A little of topic - the dresses of the girls/women were so lovely, especially the ones of Emilia and IMO. But the rest of the girls/women were also so beautiful! ) 

1 hour ago, Tijgy said:

Nikolaj has a beard, nikolaj has a beard, nikolaj has a beard, ... :D Does this mean Jaime will have a beard? (Please? - Michiel Huisman has one too. So probably no hype?

SADLY, I don't think Jaime has a beard, he didn't have one in the picture on the horse.

Just now, Le Cygne said:

SADLY, I don't think Jaime has a beard, he didn't have one in the picture on the horse.

:crying: So it is only Nicolaj who has a beard and not Jaime. (He still looks good with a beard ^_^, Nicolaj I mean)

So this means no hype. Damn

18 minutes ago, Tijgy said:

:crying: So it is only Nicolaj who has a beard and not Jaime. (He still looks good with a beard ^_^, Nicolaj I mean)

So this means no hype. Damn

Hype for hotness or hype for the story? Maybe a sign he finally tells Carol to stick it where the sun don't shine?

Some other show or movie will get the benefit of his bearded hotness, it seems. The show lives for our tears.

RULE OF THE SHOW: "If you want to see it, it won't happen. If you don't want to see it, it will happen."

(Dresses, I liked Maisie's best...)

19 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Hype for hotness or hype for the story? Maybe a sign he finally tells Carol to stick it where the sun don't shine?

Some other show or movie will get the benefit of his bearded hotness, it seems. The show lives for our tears.

RULE OF THE SHOW: "If you want to see it, it won't happen. If you don't want to see it, it will happen."

(Dresses, I liked Maisie's best...)

The hype for Nikolaj's still exist but I meant the hype for Jaime's beard and what it could mean for the show (he still does have his beard after he left KL in the books or do I remember completely wrong?).

(Luckily, we can still enjoy the awards for the dresses :D

1 hour ago, Tijgy said:

The hype for Nikolaj's still exist but I meant the hype for Jaime's beard and what it could mean for the show (he still does have his beard after he left KL in the books or do I remember completely wrong?).

(Luckily, we can still enjoy the awards for the dresses :D

I happen to know this, because, well, it's rather a point of interest, what can I say. And it's actually a good story point.

When Catelyn sends him off with Brienne, he cleans himself up (even shaves his head) but leaves the beard. He thinks how different he looks from Cersei, and secretly likes it (the subtext), because he's grown apart from her, sitting in that cell, thinking over all the crappy things she did, and he did with her.

In the bath scene, Brienne trims his beard, but leaves it. (She cleans him up in the books, there's more to the scene after she holds him in her arms and he says "gentler than Cersei," comparing naked Brienne, who he has observed is naked about 10 times, positively to his lifetime lover.)

So then that's revisited when he returns. They clean him up, and he mentions shaving, but we don't know if that's shaving off the beard, or just trimming (I think the latter). At Tywin's funeral, he has a full beard. And he says, I am not Cersei, I have a beard. And she doesn't like the beard, and HE LIKES THAT.

He's bitter because she's being so horrible, she finds him repulsive after he's lost his hand, he's no use to her anymore, but when she tries to use him anyway, he resists. He turns her down, when she wants him to kill Tyrion. He turns her down in the White Sword Tower. And writes that Brienne of Tarth saved him.

He's also getting a kick out of annoying the hell out of Cersei. Every time she mocks his stump, he calls her my sweet sister (I counted, that was about a dozen times). They are bitter and battling, and it's grand to see. He defies her at every turn, until she finally sends him away to the Riverlands.

There, he says he likes it, being out and away from KL (and the subtext, away from Cersei). Ultimately, he burns her letter. He keeps going there with thoughts of Cersei and sex, but those thoughts keep swerving to Brienne. The dramatic irony is we the reader know he's in denial about Brienne.

And after looking at Hildy's turnips, because now the wind through his hair is like a woman's fingers, not Cersei's fingers, he is asked what he likes in a woman, and answers, innocence. And then in walks Brienne. There's lots more, and it's all cool, but we aren't seeing this on the show, and that's really sad.

Sansa and the Hound have a great story that's going on that we aren't seeing, too..

11 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

I happen to know this, because, well, it's rather a point of interest, what can I say. And it's actually a good story point.

When Catelyn sends him off with Brienne, he cleans himself up (even shaves his head) but leaves the beard. He thinks how different he looks from Cersei, and secretly likes it (the subtext), because he's grown apart from her, sitting in that cell, thinking over all the crappy things she did, and he did with her.

In the bath scene, Brienne trims his beard, but leaves it. (She cleans him up in the books, there's more to the scene after she holds him in her arms and he says "gentler than Cersei," comparing naked Brienne, who he has observed is naked about 10 times, positively to his lifetime lover.)

So then that's revisited when he returns. They clean him up, and he mentions shaving, but we don't know if that's shaving off the beard, or just trimming (I think the latter). At Tywin's funeral, he has a full beard. And he says, I am not Cersei, I have a beard. And she doesn't like the beard, and HE LIKES THAT.

(...)

Thanks. I knew the beard was significant! Sigh ... I was really so happy when he burned Cersei's letter. 

2 minutes ago, Tijgy said:

Thanks. I knew the beard was significant! Sigh ... I was really so happy when he burned Cersei's letter. 

I know, I got carried away. It's one of my favorite stories. They scrapped good stories for bad, for no reason.

I think the loss of Lady Stoneheart is what messed up their stories (Sansa, Sandor, Jaime, Brienne, and these stories are not just about romance, but central character development), because there's a lot of setup in that direction, and they are all interconnected. But they could have adapted their stories even without that (although LSH is a great follow up to the Red Wedding).

What have they done instead, swapped Jaime for Arys, had Brienne still stuck on Renly, swapped Sansa for Jeyne, and left Sandor out entirely. Dorne could have been reduced it to a raven saying "Myrcella is dead." Ramsay's bride could have been offscreen, the interaction in the godswood is what awakened Theon. And kept Jon and Arya's story, which was very moving.

This scene could have been really good:

Death was the sweetest deliverance he could hope for.

In the godswood the snow was still dissolving as it touched the earth. Steam rose off the hot pools, fragrant with the smell of moss and mud and decay. A warm fog hung in the air, turning the trees into sentinels, tall soldiers shrouded in cloaks of gloom. During daylight hours, the steamy wood was often full of northmen come to pray to the old gods, but at this hour Theon Greyjoy found he had it all to himself.

And in the heart of the wood the weirwood waited with its knowing red eyes. Theon stopped by the edge of the pool and bowed his head before its carved red face. Even here he could hear the drumming, boom DOOM boom DOOM boom DOOM boom DOOM. Like distant thunder, the sound seemed to come from everywhere at once.

The night was windless, the snow drifting straight down out of a cold black sky, yet the leaves of the heart tree were rustling his name. "Theon," they seemed to whisper, "Theon."

The old gods, he thought. They know me. They know my name. I was Theon of House Greyjoy. I was a ward of Eddard Stark, a friend and brother to his children. "Please." He fell to his knees. "A sword, that's all I ask. Let me die as Theon, not as Reek." Tears trickled down his cheeks, impossibly warm. "I was ironborn. A son ... a son of Pyke, of the islands."

A leaf drifted down from above, brushed his brow, and landed in the pool. It floated on the water, red, five-fingered, like a bloody hand. "... Bran," the tree murmured.

They know. The gods know. They saw what I did. And for one strange moment it seemed as if it were Bran's face carved into the pale trunk of the weirwood, staring down at him with eyes red and wise and sad. Bran' s ghost, he thought, but that was madness. Why should Bran want to haunt him? He had been fond of the boy, had never done him any harm. It was not Bran we killed. It was not Rickon. They were only miller' s sons, from the mill by the Acorn Water. "I had to have two heads, else they would have mocked me ... laughed at me ... they ..."

Archived