Rant and Rave Without Repercussions - Includes Season 6 Spoilers

HexMachina

I think it was the author of The Prestige who said of Christopher Nolan's adaption of his book that it got all the details wrong but the theme right.

I feel GOT is exactly the opposite of that. The show runners go through painful length to preserve the little details (600 faces, Dario's daggers has nude women as handles) but missed all the important stuff.

One of the best example of this is the White Book. They go through all that effort to produce such an beautiful book, with all the pages copied word for word from the snippets from ASOIAF, all in beautiful calligraphy, and then uses it as a prop Jaime pushes away to have sex with Cersei. Which is so exactly the opposite the from the White Book's thematic role in the ASOIAF that I have a hard time imagining anyone accomplishing this accidentally .

When I saw the Jaime/Cersei White Tower scene in ep410, I got a very ugly picture in my mind of D&D slapping each other on the back, congratulating each other for "successfully" doing a complete 180 on a book scene, not realizing the scene actually made no sense at all. Cersei had just finished telling Tywin she would burn House Lannister to the ground to protect Tommen; she then immediately proceeds to make love to Jaime in a place where they could be discovered, which would cost Tommen his crown and perhaps his life. 

Here's another example with season 5 they had the detail of "Bear Island knows no king but the King in the North" and the legitimization offer but the main point? Lost. Jon doesn't pay back Stannis kindness by telling him to attack Deepwood Motte even though until Stannis left all the scenes he, Jon, and Davos had was about how badly Jon wanted to help him  

4 hours ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

One of the best example of this is the White Book. They go through all that effort to produce such an beautiful book, with all the pages copied word for word from the snippets from ASOIAF, all in beautiful calligraphy, and then uses it as a prop Jaime pushes away to have sex with Cersei. Which is so exactly the opposite the from the White Book's thematic role in the ASOIAF that I have a hard time imagining anyone accomplishing this accidentally .

Stupid ASOIAF and its themes about redemption, honor, and regret. A White Book shouldn't have something to do with that. It should be a prop for sex.

What was GRRM thinking? Good thing we have D & D to set things straight.

4 hours ago, Tijgy said:

Thanks. I knew the beard was significant! Sigh ... I was really so happy when he burned Cersei's letter. 

Maybe we will get this on S6... Come on, it's time to move on Jaime....or, conversely, will they make us believe that Cersei is still his beloved one?

42 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Maybe we will get this on S6... Come on, it's time to move on Jaime....or, conversely, will they make us believe that Cersei is still his beloved one?

Honestly, I don't see what he would fall out of love with her...she's perfect !

19 minutes ago, Tijgy said:

And another award: http://watchersonthewall.com/game-of-thrones-wins-the-art-directors-guild-award/#more-5530

(to be honest, I dont really know what art directing is? They won it for ... Hardhome. And Unbowed, ... was also nominated?)

Actually was a package of three, including High Sparrow. 

Art directors work with sets and locations. Face it, it IS a good looking show, except when the lighting sucks. 

8 minutes ago, TepidHands said:

Art directors work with sets and locations. Face it, it IS a good looking show, except when the lighting sucks. 

I admit I like the fanvids (except those with Sansa in the last seasons - they are just too upsetting). 

12 minutes ago, TepidHands said:

Which is a good 1/2 of the time. The staff is putting much effort into having a good looking set, all for naught.

One thing I'm pretty upset about is the (male) costuming : grey, brown, grey, brown. They think it realistic, but it's not : wearing vivid colors was the way to distinguish yourself from the smallfolk...

4 hours ago, Stannis is the man....nis said:

Here's another example with season 5 they had the detail of "Bear Island knows no king but the King in the North" and the legitimization offer but the main point? Lost. Jon doesn't pay back Stannis kindness by telling him to attack Deepwood Motte even though until Stannis left all the scenes he, Jon, and Davos had was about how badly Jon wanted to help him  

The scene where Stannis reads Lyanna Mormont's letter annoys me immensely.                    It's one instance where they've kept the book dialogue almost intact, but managed to mangle the whole thing nonetheless. The show dialogue:

S - Do you know this wretched girl, Lyanna Mormont?

J - The Lord Commander's niece.

S - Lady of Bear Island, and a child of 10. I asked her to commit her house to my cause. That's her response. 

J - Bear Island knows no King etc.

Now, how the fuck can a girl of 10 be the lady of a noble house, even if a "poor" and small one? Gritty realism? Westeros torn by war, and a girl of 10 is the head of a house? And acknowledged as such? And no mention of the others! No Maege (even if she was there back in series 1, no Dacey, ever, no Alysanne. Idiotic. So, even when they sort of keep the book lines, they feel the need to tweak with them a bit, to put the "D&D stamp of quality writing" *cough cough*. They have an idea, think it's brilliant, but the whole thing is so careless and sloppy, they never think about the details and consequences of what they're writing. 

9 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

A leaf drifted down from above, brushed his brow, and landed in the pool. It floated on the water, red, five-fingered, like a bloody hand. "... Bran," the tree murmured.

Look, this scene would be to expensive to produce.  They'd have to hire a tree and then find a leaf trainer and leaf handler, because as we all know, herding leafs is much more difficult then herding cats.  And to have Bran whisper 'Bran' when he's not even in the scene?  How would the fans be able to follow such complexity?   Not only that, but they would have to outsource for a fog machine.  Big bux babee! 

So nope, nope, nope would never, ever work.  

11 minutes ago, LongRider said:

Look, this scene would be to expensive to produce.  They'd have to hire a tree and then find a leaf trainer and leaf handler, because as we all know, herding leafs is much more difficult then herding cats.  And to have Bran whisper 'Bran' when he's not even in the scene?  How would the fans be able to follow such complexity?   Not only that, but they would have to outsource for a fog machine.  Big bux babee! 

:angry2:

MsuatiO.jpg

7 minutes ago, LongRider said:

True. All their tree budget went into uncle Benjen. Another genius decision, after all Benjen Stump was much more important to the story than Theon's scene in the godswood. :bang:

17 minutes ago, LongRider said:

Well that. But, also,you would have to figure out how to work in some boobs in that scene too, making it even more difficult to shoot.

Good post though. It illustrates nicely that we have been way too hard on D & D.

Archived