NFL 2016: Super Bowl in Memory of John Fox

Maithanet

4 hours ago, Maithanet said:

I wouldn't put that on Newton, he played fine in the second half.  If anyone is to blame it is Rivera.  Carolina went ultra conservative on the assumption that Seattle couldn't come back from down 31 unless Carolina turned it over.  Which proved to be correct in the end, although it was closer than it ought to have been. 

Seconded. It looked to me like Rivera went into turtle mode the second half of that game. Guess you can't blame him too much with a 31 point lead at the half.

35 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Is that sort of thing even legal with the salary cap?

I was also under the impression that there were no shortage of teams (like the Titans) who'd be willing to offer Manning a front-office position and a team stake without having to go through the football equivalent of Muhammad Ali vs. Larry Holmes.

"Of course not! The fact that Manning purchased 5% of the team for an undisclosed amount less than six months after retiring is in no way related to the contract he had signed. Stop asking questions about this or you'll be sent to President Trump's classy new gulag!"

Just now, Fez said:

"Of course not! The fact that Manning purchased 5% of the team for an undisclosed amount less than six months after retiring is in no way related to the contract he had signed. Stop asking questions about this or you'll be sent to President Trump's classy new gulag!"

To be honest, I have kind of assumed that there will be some deal like this for Tom Brady one day, and that's part of why he's gone for these cut-rate contracts.

26 minutes ago, Fez said:

I know you're joking, but this sort of thing does happen. Here in MN it's pretty well understood that Kevin Garnett will become a part owner of the team the moment he retires (well not moment, but you get the point) and that's partly why he agreed to wave his no trade clause to come home.

I know, different sport, different situation, but it does happen.

I'm almost certain IGN doesn't have an opinion on the game, so I'm fairly certain you won't get a coherent answer. 

Also, hey Captain Howdy! Sorry I always call you that, but your username always makes me think of The Exorcist. 

Carolina over Denver 20-13

46 minutes ago, Howdyphillip said:

More important, do you see any way for Denver to win? Carolina looks strong. What do you think?

I think Denver can win. Their defense is playing lights out, statistically one of the best of all time. They also have the advantage at wide receiver and their running game is emerging. I think this is it for the Broncos and especially Manning, so come Sunday night I think Manning will cement his legacy.

Curious, what would Mannings legacy be cemented as if they lose?

I would hope he doesn't get locked in with Marino, Fouts, Tarkenton etc. Manning has won a SB. Oh and BTW, only 8 QB's in NFL history have won more than one SB. Think about that. Of all the great QB's ever, only 8 have won more than once.

Steve Young, Brett Favre, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Ken Stabler, Kurt Warner, Joe Theisman all of these QB's "only" won one SB, but are they perceived in a negative light?

2 hours ago, dbunting said:

Curious, what would Mannings legacy be cemented as if they lose?

I would hope he doesn't get locked in with Marino, Fouts, Tarkenton etc. Manning has won a SB. Oh and BTW, only 8 QB's in NFL history have won more than one SB. Think about that. Of all the great QB's ever, only 8 have won more than once.

Steve Young, Brett Favre, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Ken Stabler, Kurt Warner, Joe Theisman all of these QB's "only" won one SB, but are they perceived in a negative light?

I think Peyton's legacy is being one of the most intelligent QB who struggled in the post-season.  If you view greatest on a player stats, Peyton's the best.  Success in the playoff and SBs  it is Brady.

I do not think Theisman is held in a very high regard.  Many will bring up that Joe Gibbs led 2 other QBs to SB.  

17 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

An overall failure in the postseason. His playoff record is terrible.

He won't be perceived in a negative light overall, nor should he be, but I do think his playoff record is a black mark.

Agreed. I think he'll be remembered as the guy who redefined the QB position, but ultimately failed when the spotlight was brightest.

Also, I'm surprised you've been posting so much this week, ME.

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

An overall failure in the postseason. His playoff record is terrible.

He won't be perceived in a negative light overall, nor should he be, but I do think his playoff record is a black mark.

Fair enough statement. He can't be considered a failure, but maybe next level below the Brady, Montana success level?

Archived