Acrophilia #11: ... and the winner is ...

Julia H.

Welcome to the new Acrophilia game - Acrophilia #11! Please sign up if you would like to play.

The Game and the Rules:

Short version (if you are an old player): There will be three rounds, you can have preliminary guesses (but please, send them to me at least a day before the deadline), you may purchase clue hints (but not theme hints) for points, and you can vote for your favourite clues. Each round will have the same rules. No character names or nicknames are allowed in the clues, but I don’t mind references to sigils, house words or locations. Please, send me a PM entitled Acrophilia #11 <Your Board Name>.

Long version hidden below (if you are a new player or want more details for any reason):

Spoiler

- Send your host (me, Julia H.) a PM entitled Acrophilia #11 <Your Board Name>.

- In reply to the PM’s, I will send each player an ASOIAF character for which the player will create a clue and send it to me (via PM) before a given deadline. The clues will be based on a randomly generated acronym, which the player can choose from two options. (The acronym options will be the same for each player.) When creating the clue, the players should be careful to use references that describe only or mainly the given character (i.e. they must avoid references that work equally well for other characters, too). It may be a good idea to send an explanation for your clue as well. The clues must not contain character names or character nicknames. I have no objection to references to sigils, house words or place names.

- When all the clues are in, I will post them here without indicating the names of the authors. Then the players will have a few days to figure out the characters behind the clues and to guess the theme that the characters represent. The guesses will be sent to me via PM. (Potential answers must not be discussed on the thread.) Guesses sent at least one day before the deadline are preliminary guesses and I will tell the player how many of the clue guesses are correct (but I won’t tell you which ones are incorrect) and whether the theme guess is correct, incorrect or close. The players may change their guesses before the deadline.

- I will use the hint purchase system, i.e., players may purchase hints for the clues, but each hint will cost one point. (You can purchase as many hints as you want to.) You won’t be able to purchase a theme hint though. (I may provide a theme hint free of charge for everyone if I find it necessary.) If you hesitate whether to purchase a hint or not, please, remember that I’m not sitting in front of the computer 24 hours a day, so allow me some time to find your request for a hint and to send you one.

- After the deadline for the guesses has passed, I will post the answers to the clues, still without identifying the authors. Then players will have some time to vote for their favourite clues before I reveal the authors and the scores, which is the end of the round.

- The game with consist of three rounds. The winner will be the player who gets the highest score.

Scoring System:

3 points for correctly guessing a clue (guessing points)

4 points for correctly guessing the theme, 2 points for being close (theme points)

1 point for each player who guesses your clue correctly up to 4 points (author points)

1 point for each favourite clue vote your clue receives, but only if you have also voted for your favourite clue (favourite clue points)

Voting for a favourite clue will earn you 1 point (voting point)

Clue hints: -1 point per hint (points spent)

5 points to a player who has guessed all clues and the theme correctly (bonus points)

If you are interested, don’t hesitate to join the game. I will wait a few days for players to sign up, but I hope to be able to send you your characters on Friday the latest.  

Huzzah!

A PM will be sent to you, forthwith.

Thank you so much for hosting. A good but tough balance I think, with the purchasable clue hints, the 5 bonus points and the cap on author points. Doing it this way means it's harder for you though, because the incentive is to make trickier clues, which means you'll have to carefully consider whether they are acceptable and be strong about rejecting any that aren't.

On 2016. 02. 02. at 1:22 AM, Dolorous Gabe said:

Huzzah!

A PM will be sent to you, forthwith.

Thank you so much for hosting. A good but tough balance I think, with the purchasable clue hints, the 5 bonus points and the cap on author points. Doing it this way means it's harder for you though, because the incentive is to make trickier clues, which means you'll have to carefully consider whether they are acceptable and be strong about rejecting any that aren't.

Thanks for the heads-up! I like all those elements in the game, so I thought I'd try using them all.  

On 2016. 02. 02. at 7:52 PM, Lady Blizzardborn said:

I'm in. Commence the torture. :D

Soon... hopefully. I'm already torturing myself with character lists and generating acronyms in various ways. 

On 2016. 02. 02. at 9:35 PM, Ser Not Appearing said:

All of my clues are acceptable.

There! I've already made it easy on you as the host.

You are most helpful, my good Ser.

On 2016. 02. 02. at 9:41 PM, rocksniffer said:

all my submissions will be filled with innuendo and smut...

oh yeah this is philia not pictionary...

oh well sign me up anyway...

:smoking:

:rolleyes: :D

Players who have signed up and sent their PM's:

a shadow

Dolorous Gabe

Lady Blizzardborn

Ser Not Appearing

rocksniffer

lil' ghost

Fragile Bird will hopefully be able to play

5 hours ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

Fragile Bird has indicated she'd like to play but is having trouble posting & PMing at the moment. If anyone is not in our forum games Facebook group and would like to join (not used much, but useful for errors and when the forum crashes) let Fragile Bird know.

Thanks for letting me know!

ROUND ONE

Your acronyms for Round I are:

HAJDECC

DABNO

The deadline for the submission of the clues is:

10 PM Central European Time on Tuesday 9th February

I’ll send out the PM’s with your characters shortly.

Now a question: Since the number of players is relatively small in this game, would you like me to make a character clue as well, just to increase the number of clues pointing towards the theme? (Naturally, I wouldn't be receiving any points.) If you want this, I can include one more character, if not, that's fine, too. What do you think?

I can not pass my character. I have tried, and I cannot. I will try again, but I do not believe I had so much difficulty any time before. :ninja: Not sure what the reason is, but I hope that the reason is interesting at least :ninja:

Edit: Before you think I got burdened with a difficult character, I must tell you that it is not a minor or difficult character, it is just that I have nothing for them.

Archived