Acrophilia #11: ... and the winner is ...

Julia H.

*nevermind*

Only now do I ssee how great Brienne clue was (Ser, M'lady). It never occured to me when looking at it. It is GREAT.

I also only now understood what was meant in the first clue for Jeor Mormont, whih is a clear clue. I thought it a horrible terrible clue.

My favorite clue vote was for Balon, and it is too long to explain, though I would like to hvae given one for Elder Brother, too, though my first guess for it was Jeor Mormont (Old Bear, repetitive raven, bbut I undrestad there would be no quotation marks around old in that case). But I thought Elder Brother will get other votes and take care.

I also thought my clue will be pointed out as terrible, but if it did not bother you, then I will not worry that it caused bad things.

5 hours ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

The alternate answers on my clue are pretty wide ranging and don't include Euron... the character I most feared would be answered. That's both awesome, likely frustrating for you all and something that should only make you mad at the host. I'm too pretty to be mad at.

I had Erik Ironmaker and was convinced it was right, to the point where I changed another answer from my prelims that was right because I was convinced it must be the only wrong one.

I blame you, Ser. I blame you!

4 hours ago, a shadow said:

I also thought my clue will be pointed out as terrible, but if it did not bother you, then I will not worry that it caused bad things.

I voted yours as my favourite. I felt it was the trickiest clue of the bunch that had no fitting alternatives.

22 hours ago, rocksniffer said:

first -  # 1. Dignified abdication, by nightfall's oath ...the best clue of the group in my opinion

Thank you, sniffer.

I completely understand why people would answer Aemon to my clue. I was hoping the word "abdication" would differentiate, since Jeor was actually giving up his seat as opposed to not taking a position up. I admitted to our wonderful host that it was a more aesthetically pleasing  than intellectually pleasing clue.

I'm going to suppress my rants.

16 minutes ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

Sell me on Erik. I don't see it.

I had Theon.

2. He's "aged." Judiciously doesn't expect companionate conversation. 

Theon aged under Ramsay's care, "aged" in the sense he wasn't that old but the torture aged him.  Judiciously doesn't expect conversation because if he speaks without being spoken to first, he'll be tortured. 

And I bought a hint:  We could be speaking about Robb or Jaime or Gregor or Rhaegar... instead we are speaking about - ah, but what's his name?

With all his brothers dead, Theon was the oldest brother.  And he forgot his name, only remembering he was Reek.

The fact that I bought a clue that so misled me really burns...on top of the fact that when I saw all the oldest brothers, the name Elder Brother popped into my head, but I rejected it because of the 'what's his name'.

Aaaaarrrggggggghhhhhhhhhh!

4 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

<snip

I completely understand why people would answer Aemon to my clue. I was hoping the word "abdication" would differentiate, since Jeor was actually giving up his seat as opposed to not taking a position up. I admitted to our wonderful host that it was a more aesthetically pleasing  than intellectually pleasing clue.

I'm going to suppress my rants.

I had it right at first and then changed it.

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

I had Theon.

2. He's "aged." Judiciously doesn't expect companionate conversation. 

Theon aged under Ramsay's care, "aged" in the sense he wasn't that old but the torture aged him.  Judiciously doesn't expect conversation because if he speaks without being spoken to first, he'll be tortured. 

And I bought a hint:  We could be speaking about Robb or Jaime or Gregor or Rhaegar... instead we are speaking about - ah, but what's his name?

With all his brothers dead, Theon was the oldest brother.  And he forgot his name, only remembering he was Reek.

The fact that I bought a clue that so misled me really burns...on top of the fact that when I saw all the oldest brothers, the name Elder Brother popped into my head, but I rejected it because of the 'what's his name'.

Aaaaarrrggggggghhhhhhhhhh!

Sorry about that. It never occurred to me that Theon could be an elder brother, I was focused on characters who had younger brothers, not sisters. The name part was meant to indicate that we literally don't know what the Elder Brother's name is, 

4 hours ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

Sell me on Erik. I don't see it.

He's actually old (the quotation marks didn't do enough for me because I don't expect any references to names), he is married to someone he is unlikely to ever speak to (and I have only ever heard "companionate" used in relation to marriage), and he fits the theme. Seemed a perfect fit to me.

I guess another thing that I did wrong was knowing the theme and not adequately assessing everything about it. I should have thought that the host would try to include as many islands around Westeros as possible, which might have convinced me to stick with Brienne for clue 8 (I don't think I'd have correctly identified 2 as the wrong one though). I did think about the different islands but not once did I think of the Quiet Isle. That much is on me, I accept culpability there. My issues stand though.

With a narrow lens you can interpret the conversation part for Erik or others, but (I do think) it more widely and appropriately suits the elder brother better ... similar to how I eventually decided the last clue suited Brienne more than Arya or Cersei, actually.

With that said, I do shoot for challenging but aim for more of a 50% correct rate. This one wasn't quite what I wanted and, again, let's all just blame the host!

I would have left Brienne down for 8 and accepted one wrong answer if I hadn't found a quote on the wiki from Cressen saying "many call Melisandre beautiful. She is not beautiful" and recalling that Melisandre's real name is Melony. It was a last minute change. And again, she fit the theme.

This is a frustrating game I started  :blush:

19 hours ago, lil' ghost said:

that means a lot 

what i say is not important, what is importnt is that it is a really great clue. I will remember it for one million years.

8 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

He's actually old (the quotation marks didn't do enough for me because I don't expect any references to names), he is married to someone he is unlikely to ever speak to (and I have only ever heard "companionate" used in relation to marriage), and he fits the theme. Seemed a perfect fit to me.

i am not sure if I will be able to explain what I mean, but I think you (not DG, the general you) know when the answer just fits the clue and when it is the answer. Because when you have a correct answer you do not think that "it fits", you feel "oh, that is what this person means with their clue". It is not exactly the same as figuring things out, or seeing through some double meanings. A clue can be terrible, but when you have the answer, you just see how it was meant and how it made sense to someone.

22 minutes ago, a shadow said:

i am not sure if I will be able to explain what I mean, but I think you (not DG, the general you) know when the answer just fits the clue and when it is the answer. Because when you have a correct answer you do not think that "it fits", you feel "oh, that is what this person means with their clue". It is not exactly the same as figuring things out, or seeing through some double meanings. A clue can be terrible, but when you have the answer, you just see how it was meant and how it made sense to someone.

I understand what you're saying. If I had thought of the Elder Brother, I would have strongly considered him against my answer. My problem was that I saw the theme very early and managed to completely forget the Quiet Isle, so never even considered the Elder Brother.

I  must say the only problem I had (at first, before the answer clicked) for the clue about Brienne, was that I distracted myself with the YMBQ issue as per debated beauty. Once I stopped thinking along those lines I got it right, and decided it was a quite brilliant clue really.

Archived