Acrophilia #11: ... and the winner is ...

Julia H.

3 hours ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

Sounds like I'm dropping down the standings even further. Sick as a Clegane and not in the mood to rethink wrong answers.

2 hours ago, Julia H. said:

I hope you'll get better soon.

i second this...feel better, my brother...i'll hold your place at the bar 

:smoking:

1 hour ago, a shadow said:

It is :smug: I choose not to fix it.

I also choose not to pay damages. But now at least you know that fate isn't cruel, I am :ninja:

Then I'll see you in Hell court Acrophilia! (or a chess board for the sake of my chances)

56 minutes ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Feel better SNA.

I would like to go on record as saying...I haven't even tried to guess the theme.

I have tried. Seven Hells, have I tried! Time is no longer on my side and I rarely work them out at such a late stage. I need to see the links early. I haven't even used my theme prelim guess cos I got nothin'.

5 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

I have tried. Seven Hells, have I tried! Time is no longer on my side and I rarely work them out at such a late stage. I need to see the links early. I haven't even used my theme prelim guess cos I got nothin'.

:blink:  ^_^  :grouphug:

6 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

I would like to go on record as saying...I haven't even tried to guess the theme.

:grouphug:

Less than four hours to go till the deadline.

9 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

Then I'll see you in Hell court Acrophilia! (or a chess board for the sake of my chances)

an interesting turn of phrase...

ROUND TWO CLUES AND ANSWERS

The explanations are mostly mine, but you can correct me later if you want to.

1. Head unnecessary? Loved lord, overcome. Can Seven intend liege's lowbrow agenda? Gods!         

Answer: Eddard Stark (the Father)

Explanation: The clue is reference to the way Ned Stark died. The bolded part is intended to highlight who the subject of the clue is (loved lord). The “liege” is Joffrey, who follows the Faith of the Seven. The exclamation, however, directs attention to the Old Gods.                                                                        

2. She’s a redhead. Killed? Apparently, not yet!      

Answer: Catelyn Stark (the Mother)    

Explanation: Auburn hair. Killed, but those who see Lady Stoneheart may have a different impression.                                 

3. Still armed, roaring knight against noblewoman yelpless.         

Answer: Jaime Lannister (the Warrior)       

Explanation: When Jaime still had both hands (and got hold of some weapon), he fought Brienne, and it happened just before they were captured by Vargo Hoat, who “disarmed” Jaime permanently. Regarding yelpless, I found this word elsewhere on the Internet, so who am I (a non-native English-speaker constantly admiring the rich vocabulary of this language) to say this word does not exist? Anyway, it seems to have a meaning that is something like ‘without modern means of communication’, and I thought Jaime and Brienne could certainly do with some information about what’s going on in the vicinity. As it is, they have no idea that Vargo Hoat is coming.  (Of course, the word also rhymes with helpless.)

4. Hope Undone ~ Lady Love, Obsequious ~ Cruel, Stark Injustice ~ Lethal Lies And Grief 

Answer: Sansa Stark (the Maiden)

Explanation: Sansa’s hopes regarding Joffrey are undone. She is a proper little lady, head over heels in love, which makes her kind of … obsequious where Joffrey is concerned. Of course, stark is not a name here. It’s just stark injustice – which could refer to Lady’s death or Ned’s death, both affecting Sansa, both involving lies and grief.

5. Vulcanian apprentice. Royal "juice" unmistakable.        

Answer: Gendry (the Smith)

Explanation: Vulcan is the smith god in Greek mythology and Gendry is an apprentice smith. He takes after his royal father, and the resemblance is easy to see.

6. Smelled augural rock. Kept at nefarious yob's.            

Answer: Old Nan (the Crone)              

Explanation: Old Nan smelled the air and declared that the comet meant dragons. The last we heard of her was that she was taken to the Dreadfort (Ramsay’s place) as a prisoner and kept there.                  

7. Stunningly accurate, ruthless killer. Abode notably yucky.           

Answer: Ilyn Payne (the Stranger)

Explanation: Ilyn Payne has never botched an execution. He practically lives to kill. His chambers in the Red Keep (visited by Jamie) look disgusting.

8. Stole affections, rural kisses. Atones. Names young.     

Answer: Septon Meribald  (a general hint at the theme, my clue, don’t vote for it)

Explanation: In his youth, the good septon seduced women by exploiting their religious devotion. Now he walks barefoot as a penance. The last sentence refers to one of the general duties of a septon.                           

9. Sacrificed all.  Resolutely killed awesome northern 'yeti'.

Answer: Donal Noye (another Smith)

Explanation: He died in defense of the realm. He killed a huge giant as he was defending the gate.

The theme: Characters that can be associated with the various aspects of the Seven (the Father, the Mother, the Warrior etc.). Or simply: the Seven.

Please, send me your favourite clue vote until 6 p.m. Central European Time tomorrow (Friday, 26th February).

Well, I did have #1 correct for awhile... but I changed it. I apparently don't like points.

Can we discuss favorite clues while others are voting or should we shut our yob-gobs until results are final? I'm voting for a clue that I didn't guess correctly but have decided is quite well done now that I know the answer.

14 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

This is me out of the running I suspect, unless you all show good taste in the favourite clue voting :D. It's all gonna be down to a shadow and a Bird I reckon.

(the Bird is the word :commie:)

OMG, that was a throwback to my childhood! :D

The thing about voting for a favourite clue is, you have a love/hate relationship with the clues.  There are times you want to reach into the computer screen and throttle someone who wrote a certain clue.  And you end up saying to yourself, do you pick the clue you hated so much because it was so damn hard to figure out, or do you pick a clue because you got it, or do you pick a clue because you wish you wrote it?  Some of them, at times, are just so damn elegant.  All of the above, I guess.

I don't think there was anyone I wanted to throttle in this round....

15 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

I can accept this theme simply wasn't for me. I only like the faith of the seven for its curse.

and when you made the curse up thread, i commented it was an interesting twist of phrase... you never know how things will go... ;)

6 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

OMG, that was a throwback to my childhood! :D

The thing about voting for a favourite clue is, you have a love/hate relationship with the clues.  There are times you want to reach into the computer screen and throttle someone who wrote a certain clue.  And you end up saying to yourself, do you pick the clue you hated so much because it was so damn hard to figure out, or do you pick a clue because you got it, or do you pick a clue because you wish you wrote it?  Some of them, at times, are just so damn elegant.  All of the above, I guess.

I don't think there was anyone I wanted to throttle in this round....

i stand by my desire to throttle, as you so eloquently put it, the author of clue 4...i am convinced he/she is a sadist trying to undermine my mental processes and disrupt my sleep schedule by forcing me to stay up nights reading and researching... :bang:

...the obvious answer was Tyrion <_<...allow me to explain

4. Hope Undone ~ Lady Love, Obsequious ~ Cruel, Stark Injustice ~ Lethal Lies And Grief 

his hope of being heir to the Rock was undone when he killed tywin...his lady love (tyisha) was a commoner, sort of servant-like...he was an unwilling party to the cruel injustice of forcing sansa stark to marry him...and all of the lethal lies told by his father concerning tyisha and the murder of joffrey led to massive grief for all...answer - Tyrion Lannister!

...luckily i had points to burn for hints...

ROUND TWO ANSWERS AND AUTHORS

1. Head unnecessary? Loved lord, overcome. Can Seven intend liege's lowbrow agenda? Gods!         

Answer: Eddard Stark (the Father)

Explanation: The clue is reference to the way Ned Stark died. The bolded part is intended to highlight who the subject of the clue is (loved lord). The “liege” is Joffrey, who follows the Faith of the Seven. The exclamation, however, directs attention to the Old Gods.

Other answers: Gregor Clegane, Brienne

Author: Lady Blizzardborn                                                            

2. She’s a redhead. Killed? Apparently, not yet!      

Answer: Catelyn Stark (the Mother)    

Explanation: Auburn hair. Killed, but those who see Lady Stoneheart may have a different impression.         

Other answers: No

Author:  lil’ ghost                     

3. Still armed, roaring knight against noblewoman yelpless.         

Answer: Jaime Lannister (the Warrior)       

Explanation: When Jaime still had both hands (and got hold of some weapon), he fought Brienne, and it happened just before they were captured by Vargo Hoat, who “disarmed” Jaime permanently. Regarding yelpless, I found this word elsewhere on the Internet, so who am I (a non-native English-speaker constantly admiring the rich vocabulary of this language) to say this word does not exist? Anyway, it seems to have a meaning that is something like ‘without modern means of communication’, and I thought Jaime and Brienne could certainly do with some information about what’s going on in the vicinity. As it is, they have no idea that Vargo Hoat is coming.  (Of course, the word also rhymes with helpless.)

Other answers: Darkstar, Lancel Lannister

Author: a shadow

Answer: Sansa Stark (the Maiden)

Explanation: Sansa’s hopes regarding Joffrey are undone. She is a proper little lady, head over heels in love, which makes her kind of … obsequious where Joffrey is concerned. Of course, stark is not a name here. It’s just stark injustice – which could refer to Lady’s death or Ned’s death, both affecting Sansa, both involving lies and grief.

Other answers: Barbrey Dustin, Robb

Author: Ser Not Appearing

5. Vulcanian apprentice. Royal "juice" unmistakable.        

Answer: Gendry (the Smith)

Explanation: Vulcan is the smith god in Greek mythology and Gendry is an apprentice smith. He takes after his royal father, and the resemblance is easy to see.

Other answers: (f)Aegon

Author: She Who Must Be Obeyed

6. Smelled augural rock. Kept at nefarious yob's.            

Answer: Old Nan (the Crone)              

Explanation: Old Nan smelled the air and declared that the comet meant dragons. The last we heard of her was that she was taken to the Dreadfort (Ramsay’s place) as a prisoner and kept there.        

Other answers: Theon, Melisandre

Author: Dolorous Gabe         

7. Stunningly accurate, ruthless killer. Abode notably yucky.           

Answer: Ilyn Payne (the Stranger)

Explanation: Ilyn Payne has never botched an execution. He practically lives to kill. His chambers in the Red Keep (visited by Jamie) look disgusting.

Other answers: Gregor, Jaqen, Asha

Author: rocksniffer

8. Stole affections, rural kisses. Atones. Names young.     

Answer: Septon Meribald  (a general hint at the theme, my clue, don’t vote for it)

Explanation: In his youth, the good septon seduced women by exploiting their religious devotion. Now he walks barefoot as a penance. The last sentence refers to one of the general duties of a septon.      

Other answers: Cersei

Author: Julia H.                    

9. Sacrificed all.  Resolutely killed awesome northern 'yeti'.

Answer: Donal Noye (another Smith)

Explanation: He died in defence of the realm. He killed a huge giant as he was defending the gate.

Other answers: Sam

Author: Fragile Bird

I will calculate your scores a little later tonight - as soon as I can. 

Archived