Acrophilia #11: ... and the winner is ...

Julia H.

On 2/16/2016 at 5:20 PM, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Ha ha! I have stolen rocksniffer's throne and shall not relinquish it! :P

unless i get my head outta my butt i will recover it next round...

On 2/17/2016 at 4:08 AM, Dolorous Gabe said:

He's actually old (the quotation marks didn't do enough for me because I don't expect any references to names), he is married to someone he is unlikely to ever speak to (and I have only ever heard "companionate" used in relation to marriage), and he fits the theme. Seemed a perfect fit to me.

for me the quote marks always indicate words from a source like text or wiki...theons wiki clearly states he has "aged"...same for aerys "aged" was part of the wiki description

i knew theme had to do with the sea, but once i had jeor and jorah, i hooked onto island lords and heirs...i had balon...so i needed theon and or asha (obstructed name, was completely because of the asha vs yara from book to show and since i felt like shireen being burned is not confirmed in the current text i thought show refs were being used)

i did consider brienne but abandoned her since her lord was not available and i had to add aerys for viserys lord...

long story short i let my narrow view of theme blind me to alternate interpretations 

i mean cressen...catapulting chickens...never would have guessed that in a million years...congrats to everyone especially a :ninja:

but then :ninja:s are able to know the unknowable...

just realized i voted for 1st 2nd and 3rd in the last round drunkenly mixing up phobia and philia...

ah well

:smoking:

10 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

That V in VARJU combined with the KU is a real aggravation.

And K and the Y in SARKANY.    Bleah!

I sometimes think that the host could give only better letters, so that people would have more room to be creative.

I did it, when I was a host. I do not think people noticed it particularly, but I would notice :ninja:

ROUND TWO

To announce the second round here as well:

Your acronyms for Round Two: I have listened to your complaints and am ready to add a third acronym (a long one) to choose from in the hope of further inspiring your creativity. So choose from the three acronyms below:

SARKANY

VARJU

HULLOCSILLAG

The deadline for the submission of the clues is:

2 PM Central European Time Saturday 20th February

As your host, I will once again add a character clue to the list but this time there will be an important difference, please, note:

The character that I will add is not part of the theme. However, it does hint at the theme in a different way. So the theme will be true of your characters only, while my character (hidden among yours) will only be a general hint at the theme.

Hello acrophiles. I wonder is room for one more?

I just notices Tripp furiously looking at a thesaurus - a dead giveaway there is a new game afoot.

9 hours ago, rocksniffer said:

unless i get my head outta my butt i will recover it next round...

I have known you all my life and I can state without reservation that there is very little chance of this happening. :P

43 minutes ago, She Who Must Be Obeyed said:

Hello acrophiles. I wonder is room for one more?

I just notices Tripp furiously looking at a thesaurus - a dead giveaway there is a new game afoot.

I have known you all my life and I can state without reservation that there is very little chance of this happening. :P

Hey!

You mean he sneakily avoided informing you that a new game was beginning?  :o

On 2/19/2016 at 8:58 PM, Dolorous Gabe said:

Hey!

You mean he sneakily avoided informing you that a new game was beginning?  :o

Of course he tried to sneak past me - knowing I always have better entries than he does. ;)

17 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

SWMBO! *moves over to make room* :grouphug: Welcome to the game.

Thank you Lady Blizz. I am so excited. I always love your entries. :grouphug:

12 hours ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

We start, welcome. After we start, I'll probably hate you.

Ser to be hated by you means I am succeeding beyond imagination! :kiss:

2 hours ago, rocksniffer said:

oh joy she noticed...now i can't pick her brains <_<

oh well she is no threat to my bottom of the barrel goal...

So true, UncaSniffer -  I intend to win B)

ETA: Entry in. And if I do say so myself it's brilliant. :smug:

All right then.

ROUND TWO CLUES

Below are the clues for the second round of this game. As you know, we have a new player in this round, She Who Must Be Obeyed. On the other hand, there is one player who hasn’t submitted a clue yet, therefore the number of clues is the same as in the last round. Also, as in the last round, I added a character to increase the number of characters a bit. However, let me warn you again that my character is not part of the theme, but hints at it in a different way. (I know I’m a hyperactive host.) It may sound complicated now but I think it will actually help. 

1. Head unnecessary? Loved lord, overcome. Can Seven intend liege's lowbrow agenda? Gods!                   

2. She’s a redhead. Killed? Apparently, not yet!                                                      

3. Still armed, roaring knight against noblewoman yelpless.                      

4. Hope Undone ~ Lady Love, Obsequious ~ Cruel, Stark Injustice ~ Lethal Lies And Grief 

5. Vulcanian apprentice. Royal "juice" unmistakable.                                   

6. Smelled augural rock. Kept at nefarious yob's.                                            

7. Stunningly accurate, ruthless killer. Abode notably yucky.

8. Stole affections, rural kisses. Atones. Names young.

9. Sacrificed all.  Resolutely killed awesome northern 'yeti'.

The deadline:

10 p.m. Central European Time on Thursday 25th February

Good luck!

Announcement: 

A new clue has arrived, which I added to the rest. Also, please note that a word has changed in Clue 2. Who knows, it might make you reconsider your guess. ^_^

1 hour ago, a shadow said:

I am not sure if I even understand the language of the sixth :ninja:

That was my first impression, too. Then I solved the clue. :P

Regarding the acronyms, I will find a new way to generate them for you next time. For the first round, I generated acronyms at a meeting - every time a number was mentioned, I noted it and then matched these numbers to the letters of the alphabet. For this round, I thought I'd use ASOIAF-related words in my mother tongue. (As some of you know, I'm Hungarian.) I thought this would be random enough for you and it would make it easier for me to check that every clue includes all the necessary words and in the correct order. :D So... in Hungarian sárkány means 'dragon', varjú means 'crow' and hullócsillag means 'shooting star'. These were just random ASOIAF-related words consisting of the required number of letters without being too similar to each other. It was quite fun to see you use them but I realize that they contain letters rather rare in English (as would all the alternatives I could think of). So next time it will be different. 

Archived