Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

13 hours ago, Arya Stoneheart said:

I was wondering about the starks finding the wolves and how the stag killing the wolf was a bad omen for them. But cersi is not a baratheon nor are her children. So that only leaves gendry and stannis right? There are no other living bastards?

The death of the stag and the wolf in the First Bran Chapter in AGOT is in my opinion symbolic for the death of the old Generation, thus Robert and all his Brothers (the Stag) and Ned and all his brothers and sisters (the Wolf). But the difference here is that the wolf has children that survived while the stag had none. This difference is crucial and beyond the simple fact that the Stark-children needed the Direwolfs. This is forshadowing and in some way prophecising the dynasty of the two familys: the Baratheons are gonna die out while the Stark family will survive. Robert is dead, Renly is dead and Stanis is gonna die in the next book and none of them will have children who can carry the family name (Stanis daughter will die in the next book to). Robert thought he had children, but of course he didn't. Renly didn't neither. So here you have it. That is the picture George is showing us in the first book in his very first chaper after the prologue. 

hello all:

i haven't ready the hedge knight novels/novellas ... should i be investing in them ? 

is there critical history to glean that i won't find in the (i forgot the title, i'm away from my bookcase!) big world book?

"Dornishmen lie, don't they?"
"They're famous for it." The bowman grinned. "Of course, they say the same of us marchers, so there you are. What's the trouble now? Ned's a good lad . . ."

Does he mean "they" are dornishmen, ie marchers call dornishmen liars and dornishmen call marchers liars 

or does he mean "they" as people in general?

6 hours ago, Yaya said:

hello all:

i haven't ready the hedge knight novels/novellas ... should i be investing in them ? 

is there critical history to glean that i won't find in the (i forgot the title, i'm away from my bookcase!) big world book?

i personally would highly recommend the Dunk and Egg novellas  (the Hedge Knight is the first novella, all three novellas are collected in "A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms" book).

As far as i recall, the historical events from them are described in the World book, but Dunk and Egg novellas give a more personal take on them since they are written from the protagonist's point of view, plus there are some great characters.

8 hours ago, Yaya said:

hello all:

Yes and yes. And they're great reads! :)

Is this a mistake by George? In CoK, Big Walder discusses the Frey line of succession: 

Little Walder hooted. "Tired of waiting for our grandfather to die, you mean. Does this mean Ser Emmon's the heir now?"

"Don't be stupid," his cousin said. "The sons of the first son come before the second son. Ser Ryman is next in line, and then Edwyn and Black Walder and Petyr Pimple. And then Aegon and all his sons."

He seems to be taking about Jinglebell, who would be the next male in line after Petyr Pimple. I'm pretty sure that Jinglebell has no sons. 

To me, it seems that George could have not yet thought to make Aegon into Jinglebell yet. Maybe it wasn't until writing SoS that he decided to turn Aegon into Jinglebell. Jinglebell is not mentioned until SoS, so this makes sense to me. If George wanted Aegon to be Jinglebell in CoK wouldn't he have had BW say Jinglebell instead of Aegon? He is known better as Jinglebell than Aegon, right?

46 minutes ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

Is this a mistake by George? In CoK, Big Walder discusses the Frey line of succession: 

He seems to be taking about Jinglebell, who would be the next male in line after Petyr Pimple. I'm pretty sure that Jinglebell has no sons. 

To me, it seems that George could have not yet thought to make Aegon into Jinglebell yet. Maybe it wasn't until writing SoS that he decided to turn Aegon into Jinglebell. Jinglebell is not mentioned until SoS, so this makes sense to me. If George wanted Aegon to be Jinglebell in CoK wouldn't he have had BW say Jinglebell instead of Aegon? He is known better as Jinglebell than Aegon, right?

He is mentioned in ACOK's appendix, where he is described as "Stevron's son, AEGON, a halfwit called JINGLEBELL."

Maybe my version's appendix has been updated to give more detail on characters mentioned that are met in later books.

9 minutes ago, Horse of Kent said:

He is mentioned in ACOK's appendix, where he is described as "Stevron's son, AEGON, a halfwit called JINGLEBELL."

Maybe my version's appendix has been updated to give more detail on characters mentioned that are met in later books.

Same with mine but it's not an original. 

What do you think of the mistake though? Surely BW would know Aegon has no sons. He is otherwise is very knowledgeable when it comes to his family/succession.

5 minutes ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

Same with mine but it's not an original. 

What do you think of the mistake though? Surely BW would know Aegon has no sons. He is otherwise is very knowledgeable when it comes to his family/succession.

Probably a mistake. Maybe Bran misses that this is a joke from BW about Jinglebell not having kids, but it doesn't seem right from BW when discussing succession and it would be a pretty awful joke.

13 minutes ago, Horse of Kent said:

Probably a mistake. Maybe Bran misses that this is a joke from BW about Jinglebell not having kids, but it doesn't seem right from BW when discussing succession and it would be a pretty awful joke.

That is what I am thinking too. I don't think BW would ever joke about succession. 

19 hours ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

I'm guessing it is either one of two things: or it is a mistake by Big Walder (in-universe, at least; Whether it was an intentional or unintentional mistake by GRRM, I cannot say), or Walder is speaking about any hypothetical sons Aegon could have. After all, should he ever inherit, it would likely be expected that he'd father heirs.

As far as I know, Aegon was Jingbell as far back as ACOK, as mentioned in the appendix, where he is listed as childless.

People talk about Eddard's marriage to Catelyn as a surrendering of the Old Gods to the Faith of the Seven in Winterfell, but by all appearances the Old Gods are definitively still the main religion of the North. Of course there are exceptions throughout such as the Manderly's and there are knights at Torrhen's Square and Cerwyn. The faith has slowly gained a small threshold in the North in thanks to the Starks recent marriage to the Tully's and House Manderly coming to the North roughly a thousand years ago.

With that said, have any of the other main houses that would be considered typical Northern houses (Boltons, Umbers, Karstarks, Glovers) converted to New Gods? Which of Ned and Cat's children (specifically Robb, Sansa and Bran) follow the Old Gods or the New?

21 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

I'm guessing it is either one of two things: or it is a mistake by Big Walder (in-universe, at least; Whether it was an intentional or unintentional mistake by GRRM, I cannot say), or Walder is speaking about any hypothetical sons Aegon could have. After all, should he ever inherit, it would likely be expected that he'd father heirs.

As far as I know, Aegon was Jingbell as far back as ACOK, as mentioned in the appendix, where he is listed as childless.

Thank you! I suppose BW coukd be talking about hypothetical sons. This is more satisfying than him making a mistake considering how knowledgeable he is of his family tree/succession. 

Is Aegon listed as Jinglebell in the original CoK?

1 hour ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

Thank you! I suppose BW coukd be talking about hypothetical sons. This is more satisfying than him making a mistake considering how knowledgeable he is of his family tree/succession. 

Is Aegon listed as Jinglebell in the original CoK?

I don't own a copy of the earlier prints of ACOK, so about that I cannot say anything with absolute certainty. But I would suppose so, as I don't think the ommission of a nickname in the appendix of ACOK would be considered to be a mistake.

Archived