[Spoilers] Rant and Rave Without Reprecussions - Season 6, Tally-Ho

Ran

1 hour ago, Metopheles said:

Brendan Gleeson would have been awesome. He has the ability to appear likeable and warm with the vibe of a grandfather/Santa, but in the next scene can pierce you with a mean and meaningful look.

Yes, this would be awesome. 

And this is late to the game, but I finally figured out what my Jump the Shark moment was for this show.  There was It happened without me even seeing the episode – when I read on these threads that Barristan had been killed off. Learning about that change along with all the backstage drama that surrounded it tainted the show for me. The Sansa/Jeyne swap and Shireen's fate were not surprises, as I'd come to expect that kind of lazy, jump-scare kind of storytelling.

Also, maybe the new catch phrase for the show should be, "the North forgot."

1 minute ago, Liver and Onions said:

And this is late to the game, but I finally figured out what my Jump the Shark moment was for this show.  There was It happened without me even seeing the episode – when I read on these threads that Barristan had been killed off. Learning about that change along with all the backstage drama that surrounded it tainted the show for me. The Sansa/Jeyne swap and Shireen's fate were not surprises, as I'd come to expect that kind of lazy, jump-scare kind of storytelling.

I like to imagine the great actor of Barristan, who actually read all the books and knows them well, wanted out of the show and that was a done deal then for them. They need an important death each episode and so they had one.

3 minutes ago, Liver and Onions said:

I got one "the North remembers.....that it left something in the oven"

5 minutes ago, Metopheles said:

I like to imagine the great actor of Barristan, who actually read all the books and knows them well, wanted out of the show and that was a done deal then for them. They need an important death each episode and so they had one.

But if they had to kill someone why not GW? He's less important to the plot, his death would create a power vacuum dilemma for Selmy to solve, and most show fans would still be upset cause of the GW/Missandei ship

14 minutes ago, Stannis is the man....nis said:

But if they had to kill someone why not GW? He's less important to the plot, his death would create a power vacuum dilemma for Selmy to solve, and most show fans would still be upset cause of the GW/Missandei ship

Daario or Jorah would have been logical. Daario has no relevance in the show in any direction, Barristan did, a lot actually. Jorah's plot is ended anyway, book and show, GW likely needs to stay because they couldn't be bothered to introduce a new generic general of sorts to command some army. If there is a new dothraki khal or even a fanfic ressurected Drogo, all males around Daenerys are dead men walking anyway, so GW will very likely die along with Jorah if there is a new alpha male.

54 minutes ago, A_Cornered_Wolf said:

My dream casting for Big Bucket would've been Ron Perlman, but at the end of the day if we did get the Wull he probably would've sworn fealty to Ramsey's awesomeness...

Which brings me to my most recent revelation about the rumored events of season 6.  With the Umber/Karstark betrayal they are straight up subverting the Winterfell plot where it appears the Northern Lords are 'loyal' to the Boltons but will end up betraying them because of their loyalty to House Stark.  Instead we are getting the exact opposite.  Also removing Stannis early and avoiding the Alys Karstark subplot lets them cleanly do this, despite the fact it seems fairly clear from the books GRRM is trying to make the point being a scumbag oathbreaker catches up with you.

They aren't paring plot points for story economy, they are doing to reshape the narrative to the advantage of their favorite characters.

I'm pretty sure that's a good description of fan-fiction.

Yup, and as is typical for fan-fiction... it often stears off from the main cast, focus on a few only and blows up the minro characters. Reason: it gives the author of the fan-fic that he's doing more his own original work, a freedom. Fan-fics also regularly visit and go to places that aren't featured or haven't been featured yet (or won't be featured): the fan-fic author can then create a location of their own mind and not worry about making errors to locations that were described. The motivation of the fan-fic author for doing this may differ: some do it in order to respect the source, to refrain from having to do detailed research and make errors (character and description), to disguise their lesser writing style, or to have the freedom to do as they please.

What is clear is that GOT is aSoIaF on its head: characters, locations, alliances, wins/defeats. And they seem to believe they can permit themselves this because GRRM hasn't published tWoW and aDoS yet.

I'm not anti fan-fic per se... as long as the fan-fic author doesn't make any money out of it. Some can be thoughtfully written and serve as something in between the wait. But GOT does exactly that - make money out of fan-fiction. It has become pure fanfic and isn't an adaptation anymore. And they are making money out of it. Worse, they even have the arrogance to believe they are better at it than George and even gets reviewed as 'improving the original'. The sole thing that does not apply to D&D writing fan-fiction is that clearly they are not "fans". Perhaps we should call it troll-fiction?

Just now, Stannis is the man....nis said:

Yep

Commence outrage!

Why does every character HAVE to be a caricature? 

And the 4 horsemen... don't they have any cinematographically original ideas anymore? Only allusions, references, homages to other (crap) movies.

Catchphrases and wigs and the jokes are lame.

5 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Mace in KL? Did we see him leave Braavos?

Probably borrowed Batfinger's transporter.

All joking aside: I doubt that's the first episode when Larry confronts HS at the Sept and liberates Marg. And Arya departed for Braavos at the end of S4 and arrived at Braavos next in S5. So, Mace can carry his super-plumes in front of the KL's sept in epi 2 or 3, certainly 4.

2 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

I don't know. Because up until I read Stannis is the manny....is' post I was completely oblivious to the fact that there were Manderlys present at the RW. I will admit that by the time the RW happened I was already "watching" the show while playing sudoku and Frotz. :)

Yeah, they certainly could have "seeded" or foreshadowed Manderly and other northern lords for later use had they wanted to.  After all, they've had this story planned out for years:rolleyes: 

2 hours ago, Metopheles said:

Brendan Gleeson would have been awesome. He has the ability to appear likeable and warm with the vibe of a grandfather/Santa, but in the next scene can pierce you with a mean and meaningful look.

Yes, I think this would have been great!  I believe Brendan Gleeson could have pulled off "the mummer's farce" quite well (i.e. make the Boltons and Freys think he's meek and cowed while plotting against them).  

1 hour ago, A_Cornered_Wolf said:

[snipped a lot of good stuff]

I'm pretty sure that's a good description of fan-fiction.

Yep.  It sure is.

14 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

[snipped a lot of good stuff]

Perhaps we should call it troll-fiction?

I think that's appropriate.  After all, their formula for characterization seems quite simple: just have everyone do the opposite.  And not much care is given to plot logic or continuity at all.

14 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

Probably borrowed Batfinger's transporter.

All joking aside: I doubt that's the first episode when Larry confronts HS at the Sept and liberates Marg. And Arya departed for Braavos at the end of S4 and arrived at Braavos next in S5. So, Mace can carry his super-plumes in front of the KL's sept in epi 2 or 3, certainly 4.

I thought the trailer was mostly scenes from the first episode. But that's not even why I asked, it's just that I honestly can't remember what happened to Mace after he arrived and... wasn't he singing or something? Yeah, that's all I remember, and I was curious if he'd been shown leaving Braavos.

1 minute ago, kissdbyfire said:

I thought the trailer was mostly scenes from the first episode. But that's not even why I asked, it's just that I honestly can't remember what happened to Mace after he arrived and... wasn't he singing or something? Yeah, that's all I remember, and I was curious if he'd been shown leaving Braavos.

Nope. We haven't seen him leave Braavos yet. Meryn was murdered, Arya was blinded.

27 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

Nope. We haven't seen him leave Braavos yet. Meryn was murdered, Arya was blinded.

Well, even me, watching while playing Frotz could never forget the Braavos Shiv Massacre! Sadly, as I would like very much to unsee that. 

Archived