NBA 2016 Playoffs Edition: Farewell, Kobe!

Mr. Chatywin et al.

12 hours ago, Kindly Old Man said:

That's true but these guys are in the running for best team of all time, I'm holding them to a higher standard. I'm pretty sure those Bulls would have mopped the floor with an 8 seed w/o Jordan. Klay is cold, but a lot of that is that everyone's looks are way worse without Curry there drawing double teams 30 feet out. It's clear there's no Pippen on this team.

Hard to say when comparing eras and the like. Don't forget the Bulls had the advantage of having a best of 5 series in the 1st round, which they won in 3 against a Miami Heat team that I don't really remember. Looks like Alonzo Mourning was the only player of note on that team. I guess the fact that Pat Riley was coaching that team is worth mentioning.

I tend to think that The Warriors overall are a better team than that Bulls squad. They have a much deeper bench, a better backcourt, and I think the big three on each team kind of cancel each other out. Of course they both played under a very different set of rules, so it's really impossible to say for sure. You would have to give the Warriors homecourt going in though. ;)   

I don't believe for a second that this Warriors team beats that Bulls team with Michael Jordan in his prime.

There's been so much talk about that on the radio but I don't see it. I get why they create the matchup, but if I had to vote I'd say Jordan and the Bulls.

1 minute ago, Calibandar said:

I don't believe for a second that this Warriors team beats that Bulls team with Michael Jordan in his prime.

There's been so much talk about that on the radio but I don't see it. I get why they create the matchup, but if I had to vote I'd say Jordan and the Bulls.

Don't see how you can even begin to talk about it without setting ground rules. Yes, the Bulls clearly win if playing by 95-96 rules. I think the same can be said for the Warriors under the current rules. In my opinion, the only way to even the playing field would be to have the rules switch to whomever's court that particular game is being played on. 95-96 rules at the United Center and 2015-2016 rules at Oracle. Oh yeah, and the Warriors get homecourt advantage due to the superior record. B)

I think that would be one hell of a series and would likely be very close. It would be a matter of who could adapt to the others rules faster, methinks. I kind of think the Bulls would find themselves in foul trouble quite frequently when playing at Oracle, and the Warriors would likely be spent after a couple of games at the United Center.

2 minutes ago, David Selig said:

Pippen, Harper and Rodman will probably foul out before halftime under the current rules if the Bulls play as they used to in 1996.

Yeah, that's kind of my point. If they couldn't adapt their playing style to current rules, they would get slapped. Same is true on the flipside for the Warriors of course.

I can't see how anyone could think that wouldn't be a really close series. Pippen talking about a sweep is patently ridiculous.

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Well shit, I hope Curry can get healthy in time for the next round. I think The Clippers could certainly take advantage of his absence, unlike the Rockets.

It's amazing how different the Rockets play when Harden ball hogs and chucks up contested shots instead of driving and passing. What a douche. 

3 minutes ago, Relic said:

It's amazing how different the Rockets play when Harden ball hogs and chucks up contested shots instead of driving and passing. What a douche. 

I swear this team is cursed with two of the worst superstars in the league. I'm not sure how they made it to the Western Conference Finals last season. The Clips should be ashamed for allowing that. 

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I swear this team is cursed with two of the worst superstars in the league. I'm not sure how they made it to the Western Conference Finals last season. The Clips should be ashamed for allowing that. 

Yeah. I guarantee you that Howard and Harden were pissy at one another in the locker room during the half, and the third quarter fold (of epic proportions) is a direct result of that. 

5 minutes ago, Relic said:

Yeah. I guarantee you that Howard and Harden were pissy at one another in the locker room during the half, and the third quarter fold (of epic proportions) is a direct result of that. 

They're just so predictable offensively when Harden is on the floor. He gets the ball at the top of the key and he either drives, or pulls up and shoots like 85% of the time. It's like he thinks he's playing one on one out there. No sense of team at all.

I have to think the Clippers are not going to allow a second defeat in Portland, seems a bit much.

Watching the Rockets was a real chore. Terrible team. Woeful.

Curry now out with a knee injury. It was the ankle first and that seemed to be recovered. Wait and see how bad it is now, but needless to say, he is suddenly looking frail and something to get anxious about given his injury history.

55 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

So is Curry in the zombieverse now? 

In light of this potentially serious injury, I think its time we ask JackBauer for his medical opinion. 

On 4/23/2016 at 10:49 PM, Kindly Old Man said:

That's true but these guys are in the running for best team of all time, I'm holding them to a higher standard. I'm pretty sure those Bulls would have mopped the floor with an 8 seed w/o Jordan.

Well, consider that the 1994-95 Bulls had Jordan (back for the final six weeks of the season), Pippen, Kukoc, Kerr, Harper, and Longley, and they lost 4-2 in the second round to the Magic (and didn't get a sweep in the first round either).  The only main player from the 95-96 squad they were missing was Rodman, and I think it is fair to say that a Jordan who isn't at his best is still better than Rodman.  So if we're talking about a theoretical 96 Bulls without Jordan team, they sound pretty beatable. 

Archived