NBA 2016 Playoffs Edition: Farewell, Kobe!

Tywin et al.

Was listening to Zach Lowe podcast today and combined with you guys' predictions I am feeling a bit uncomfortable about Atlanta vs Boston and Miami vs Charlotte. Lowe and his guest both think Charlotte will beat Miami, whereas I and most people here think MIami has this. That has me a little concerned. Atlanta vs Boston, I think the Hawks are just a more complete, smooth team, but Boston is such a wild card, they are such fighters and strong mentally, it feel s a bit crazy to bet against them. And I want to pick either Miami or Atlanta to fill out my bet ( which already includes Clippers and Raptors winning). Lowe and his guest were split on the Atlanta series, and people here are mixed on that as well. I'm thus inclined to go with the Heat but I have this feeling they are better against the Cavs than in a series against the Hornets.

4 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

Was listening to Zach Lowe podcast today and combined with you guys' predictions I am feeling a bit uncomfortable about Atlanta vs Boston and Miami vs Charlotte. Lowe and his guest both think Charlotte will beat Miami, whereas I and most people here think MIami has this. That has me a little concerned. Atlanta vs Boston, I think the Hawks are just a more complete, smooth team, but Boston is such a wild card, they are such fighters and strong mentally, it feel s a bit crazy to bet against them. And I want to pick either Miami or Atlanta to fill out my bet ( which already includes Clippers and Raptors winning). Lowe and his guest were split on the Atlanta series, and people here are mixed on that as well. I'm thus inclined to go with the Heat but I have this feeling they are better against the Cavs than in a series against the Hornets.

I just swapped my pick to Charlotte due to the fact that Bosh is likely going to be out. I didn't realize that when I initially chose The Heat.

I still think Miami has this, expecting Bosh not to be playing.

They should have better shooting than Charlotte. Wade, Johnson, Green, Richardson. One of these guys is going to get hot.

I feel Dragic and Kemba sort of cancel each other out.

I feel Miami is undermanned upfront though with basically just Whiteside and the Ghost of Stoudemire vs Zeller, Williams, Jefferson, Kaminsky.

I have to think guys like Wade and Deng are feeling they are in their last years and that something has to happen now. Same for Joe Johnson. But betting on Joe Johnson giving a crap would be unwise, to say the least.

Tough choice. 

As I mentioned earlier, the East has this crazy dynamic where the 3,4,5 and 6 slot/seed all have the identical 48-34 won loss record. I picked Charlotte and Boston to advance out of these based off their play in the 2nd half of the season. Theres no denying that the gap (zero) between 3 and 6 is not what we would normally associate it to be. 

Also I dont buy the Cleveland sweeping Detroit picks at all, Detroit went 3-1 against Cleveland in the regular season. The one sweep in the East I can buy would be Toronto over the Pacers.

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Looks like the Raptors are about to piss away Homecourt. 88-81 Pacers with about 3 minutes left.

Geezus....so much for my one sweep in the east prediction! This'll probably go about as well for me as my MSU pick to win the NCAA tourney lol.

Man, that Warriors-Rockets game was hard to watch. Houston actually played 90% decent defense...but it's the 10% that kills you against Stephen Curry. As they said on the broadcast, it was at the other end where things went wrong - Harden was a complete non-entity and they missed at least 3-4 layups in the first quarter (and made a bunch more horrible decisions throughout the game). There were a couple of stretches where they played with the neccessary energy, but those mostly came when Curry wasn't on the floor...and unless that ankle injury is worse than it looks that's not going to happen all that often unless they're down by 20.

Next few games will hopefully closer, but still don't see how it's anything other than a sweep.

ST

1 hour ago, Sir Thursday said:

Man, that Warriors-Rockets game was hard to watch.

I think this will be a running theme in the first round. I tried to watch ALT-BOS and had to switch it off in the second quarter. Brutal game, that got better in the 2nd half, but was completely unwatchable in the first. 

As I expected, this is shaping up to be the least competitive West first round in ages. Let's hope that at least Portland will make their series competitive.

Also I know it is just the Mavs but if the Thunder can play with the same intensity defensively as last night against the better teams they would be really dangerous.

37 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Looks like Avery Bradley of the Celtics is out for the rest of the first round with a strained hamstring. :(

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25557996/brad-stevens-avery-bradley-very-unlikely-for-rest-of-first-round

That's a shame. There goes my Celtics pick...

ST

Too bad losing any minutes from Bradley for the Celts , its the playoffs though and that means NO EXCUSES FOR ANY TEAM, in my book. You go into battle with the platoon thats standing. I think Boston will weather his injury and another piece will step in, still think they take down Atl.

Detroit playing Lebron in Cle, Detroit keeping it close so far through one period. This is the only series I have any invested interest in as i'm a hopeless homer for Motown. The Pistons probably need about one more player and a year or two more seasoning to be in the elite conversations of teams that could challenge for championships. Regardless i'm so proud of them to come this far, this fast, to make the playoffs, have a winning record, and be competitive for the first time in 7 yrs. They may not get all the way but they will fight all the way, and we will love the fight every minute. No way Lebron is sweeping us!

2 intersesting tidbits from the telecast - Detroit number one ranking in transition D (getting back) also, Detroit only team in NBA with all 5 starters avg over 14 ppg, they are a team effort.

Archived