NBA 2016 Playoffs Edition: Farewell, Kobe!

Mr. Chatywin et al.

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

I have no problem with people saying that the 90s Bulls or 80s Lakers or whatever could beat GSW if they played in their era.  I generally assume that the teams were dynasties for a reason, and that coaches and players were just as smart back then as they are now.  But the idea that the Bulls could beat the Warriors if the Bulls were playing in today's NBA with today's refs is a joke.  I don't even think that game would be particularly close. 

I see no reason to think that the Clips can hang with the Warriors in a 7 game series.  They'll take one game, maybe two if they are really at their best. 

No doubt. But that's not what's happening. Barkley is saying that today's Clippers, who no one would confuse with the 90s Bulls or 80s Lakers or any other dynasty, playing this year will beat the Warriors; and I don't think he's saying it for any reason other than that he doesn't like/understand how the Warriors are so good.

I am glad that Warriors didn't rest up and went after the record for most regular season wins  .  This an achievement at par with winning a title or even probably more than that .

My prediction for the playoffs :

East:

Cleveland beat pistons 4-1

Raptors over Pacers 4-0

Miami sweeps Charlotte

Hawks over Celtics 4-2

West:

GS sweeps Rockets

Spurs sweeps Memphis

OKC over Mavs 4-2

Blazers over Clippers 4-2 . (I just want the Blazer team to win at least the first round this year . It is insane how they went from projected as a bottom 5 team to the 5th seed in West  ).

1 hour ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

To be fair, he was right about jump shooting teams until the Kerr-era Warriors which combine elite outside shooting with shut-down defense, a combo that had never quite taken shape before. Point still stands though - he should admit that the jump shooting model can work so long as the team also defends both the paint and perimeter at a high level.

Of course, it's also wise to take sports TV personalities with a grain of salt. Who knows how much of what he's saying is just to play devil's advocate and keep the discussion going.

The 2013-2014 spurs were a jump a shooting team.

2 minutes ago, sperry said:

The 2013-2014 spurs were a jump a shooting team.

At least in the Finals they were, the regular season less so.  But yeah, the NBA has totally changed. 

8 minutes ago, Fez said:

No doubt. But that's not what's happening. Barkley is saying that today's Clippers, who no one would confuse with the 90s Bulls or 80s Lakers or any other dynasty, playing this year will beat the Warriors; and I don't think he's saying it for any reason other than that he doesn't like/understand how the Warriors are so good.

Yeah, I don't know why Barkley is making that prediction.  I don't see the Clippers as really having particularly problematic matchups for GSW.  I expect that series (assuming it happens) will be like all GSW-LAC games have gone the last two years - when the Clippers starters are in, it is even.  When they sit down, the Warriors go on a run, and they never look back.

5 minutes ago, Fez said:

He's in full on Old Man "Get Off My Lawn," mode.

7 hours ago, Maithanet said:

At least in the Finals they were, the regular season less so.  But yeah, the NBA has totally changed. 

Yeah, I don't know why Barkley is making that prediction.  I don't see the Clippers as really having particularly problematic matchups for GSW.  I expect that series (assuming it happens) will be like all GSW-LAC games have gone the last two years - when the Clippers starters are in, it is even.  When they sit down, the Warriors go on a run, and they never look back.

I must be crazy because I can see the Clipper upset over GS. But the prospect is highly unlikely. It would have a god like effort from Paul, and Griffin at in gout of his mind,  coupled with a Paul Pierce crunch time sighting or three. 

5 minutes ago, Relic said:

I must be crazy because I can see the Clipper upset over GS. But the prospect is highly unlikely. It would have a god like effort from Paul, and Griffin at in gout of his mind,  coupled with a Paul Pierce crunch time sighting or three. 

Yeah, I wouldn't predict it, but I can see the possibility as well. These 2 teams do not like each other at all. And they know each other well. A Clipper's series victory would surprise me, but I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility.

6 minutes ago, Relic said:

I would consider the Clippers to be the very worst team that has any shot whatsoever at defeating the Warriors (barring injuries).  I would also consider it very very unlikely.  The bounces would really have to be going their way. 

20 hours ago, Maithanet said:

The writing was on the wall for months that Wittman had to go.  He (surprisingly) seemed like a pretty good playoff coach in 2014 and 2015, but the fact remains that he is actually a very poor coach in the regular season, so there's no guarantee the Wiz even make the playoffs (as they failed to do this year). 

Hard to be excited about the Wizards, it looks like they are about to get stuck on the mediocrity treadmill.  Wall and Beal are talented and young, so they'll never be a complete embarassment, but they are at least one superstar away from being a real contender.  And it looks like Durant-to-Washington has fizzled after the performance this past season.

RIP Keyser Soze Wittman. It wasn't all bad. But let's not mistake that for good. 

I've basically given up my hopes on Durant (and hence realistic contention) but this team can still get better. If miraculously they hire a good coach who isn't learning modern NBA small ball on the fly, they could be a 50 win team with that alone. They also have all the cap space they saved up for Durant this summer. I wouldn't mind seeing them make a godfather offer to Harrison Barnes and at least kick the tires on Al Horford. I don't know what their chances are to get either. But there's a decent core there and who wouldn't want to play with one of the best pass first PGs? They can at least make a cogent pitch.

But don't fuck up this coach thing, FFS. 

5 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

RIP Keyser Soze Wittman. It wasn't all bad. But let's not mistake that for good. 

I've basically given up my hopes on Durant (and hence realistic contention) but this team can still get better. If miraculously they hire a good coach who isn't learning modern NBA small ball on the fly, they could be a 50 win team with that alone. They also have all the cap space they saved up for Durant this summer. I wouldn't mind seeing them make a godfather offer to Harrison Barnes and at least kick the tires on Al Horford. I don't know what their chances are to get either. But there's a decent core there and who wouldn't want to play with one of the best pass first PGs? They can at least make a cogent pitch.

But don't fuck up this coach thing, FFS. 

They are not a hopeless franchise, for sure.  We should be able to recruit a good coach, there is enough talent there to bounce back to the playoffs pretty easily.  The problem is that the next step is really not clear.  You think giving Harrison Barnes $15 mil a year is going to make us better?  I don't - he is at best the fifth best player on a super deep GSW team.  Horford is a good player, although I don't know how interested he'd be in coming to Washington.  Gortat, Morris, Horford, Porter as the main frontcourt guys plus Wall and Beal is probably good enough to be somewhere in the 3-6 mix in the East.  Getting better than that?  I dunno, and I'm not sure the Wizards do either.  That was why the Durant-to-DC longshot was so appealing.

1 minute ago, Maithanet said:

They are not a hopeless franchise, for sure.  We should be able to recruit a good coach, there is enough talent there to bounce back to the playoffs pretty easily.  The problem is that the next step is really not clear.  You think giving Harrison Barnes $15 mil a year is going to make us better?  I don't - he is at best the fifth best player on a super deep GSW team.  

I feel like Harrison Barnes is the kinda player who could do a lot more if he wasn't playing with 3 All-Stars on a 73 win team. Kinda like James Harden on OKC. Not saying Barnes will become that level of good - just saying his stats are repressed because of all the offensive talent he plays with. Even if he never becomes a star (and I'm not sure he can't) I think he makes any team he's on better. I've been impressed how he's rounded out his game, becoming precisely the player Golden State has needed him to be. And he's showing more confidence than I've ever seen him - being the offensive spark a couple times when GS got way down.

Just think you need as many Swiss Army Knife players as possible in today's NBA - guys who can do everything on the floor. Barnes may not end up being worth the contract he gets. But to me he's the best non-Durant option out there that I think we have a chance of getting. (I've heard no Al Horford to DC rumors). 

But if you don't believe me, believe my buddy Zach Lowe

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Haven't you two heard? Scotty Brooks and dem glasses are going to D.C. You might still get Durant!

Jesus. Why do I feel like this is another DC sports team Hail Mary based on no actual facts that this moves the needle for Durant at all?

OK, my predictions:

West

Warriors bt. Rockets 4-0: I'm a Rockets fan, but I can't see this going any other way than a sweep. The only thing the Rockets can hang their hat on is that they are actually a pretty decent team at closing games out - but sadly the Warriors are just better at it. I see them getting close to winning a game but having their hearts broken a la Pelicans last year.

Spurs bt. Grizzlies 4-0: There just aren't enough healthy Memphis players to make this a series. They've surprised the occasional team down the stretch, but there's no way to keep the element of surprise against a playoff opponent who has had time to do some scouting and the motivation to modify their game plan accordingly.

Thunder bt. Mavericks 4-2: For the last few years the Mavs have been written off as a first round exit every season. But Carlisle knows how to extract the most out of his squad and usually has a few tricks up his sleeve to make things difficult. If Barea is healthy they win a couple of games - the guy knows how to make the most of playing with Nowitzki. The Thunder have some fairly glaring weaknesses (particularly closing games) that make them vulnerable, but ultimately the Durant + Westbrook combo will be too good for Dallas.

Clippers bt. Trailblazers 4-1: The Blazers have been great this year, but the Clippers are still a really good team. I have a lot of faith in the Paul-Jordan pick-and-roll combo to get things done come playoff time. AFAIK Paul is fully healthy this year and I expect them to get things done, even against a feisty opponent.

East

Cavaliers bt. Pistons 4-2: I know the Cavs are really good when they want to be, but this is a Pistons team that has the potential to cause a lot of trouble when they're playing in the right way. Keep Drummond focused on diving to the rim at every opportunity and they'll cause a lot of problems, particularly since the Cavs don't really have any in-form Centres to keep him in check. Ultimately though, the Cavs probably have too much offense. Kyrie and/or Love are probably going to get crazy hot in one or two games and just shoot them out of it, and LeBron is always hanging around waiting to take over.

Raptors bt. Pacers 4-1: I haven't really watched a lot of the Pacers this season, so I guess a lot depends on whether Paul George can play well. IIRC he has struggled against Toronto this year? They've got plenty of decent tweener defenders, especially if Carroll is back and ready to play. Maybe they steal a game?

Charlotte bt. Miami 4-3: I think this has the potential to be a classic series (but it'll probably be buried on NBA TV). Charlotte are hungry for a series win and their change of playing style seems to have really paid dividends (particularly for Kemba). Miami seem to have done alright without Bosh, but I worry that Whiteside will be exposed once teams can game-plan drawing him away from the basket. Tough one to call, but I'm giving Charlotte the edge because I think when they play to their ceiling they are a better team (they're just a bit inconsistent).

Celtics bt. Hawks 4-2: I really like this Celtics team. I think Isaiah Thomas is going to be a pest for anyone to handle, and they have the defensive ability to cause anyone trouble. Horford and Millsap are great, but they aren't the physically overpowering inside forces you need to take advantage of the Boston big men. I think this is a hard fought series but the Celtics pull it out.

ST

18 minutes ago, brAnthelAstgreenseer said:

Why are you assuming Clippers going to win against Blazers?

I'd assume it's because the Blazers don't play defense.

Anyways my predicitons:

GS over Houston in 6 ( I think houston is bizarrely going to shock them.  Then the Warriors won't lose again in the playoffs)

Spurs over Memphis in 4

OKC over Dallas in 5

Clippers over Blazers in 5

Cavs over Detroit in 5

Raps over Pacers in 4

Hornets over Heat in 7

Hawks over Celtics in 6

East:

Cavs over Detroit in 5

Raptors over Pacers in 5

Heat over Hornets in 6

Celtics over Hawks in 7 (probably the only interesting series in the East)

West:

Dubs over Rockets in 5

Spurs over Grizzlies in 4 (a brutal curb stomping)

Thunder over Mavs in 5

Clippers over Blazers in 6

1 hour ago, Jaime L said:

Jesus. Why do I feel like this is another DC sports team Hail Mary based on no actual facts that this moves the needle for Durant at all?

It's what your teams seem to do best. Although I agree with Sperry that it wouldn't be a bad hire.

Archived