Football: Hotspur's Fox Hunt

Zoë Sumra

This semi reminds me of the Real-Atletico final. Atletico being in the lead, and defending well, but all the while playing with their backs against the wall. 

They cracked at the end then, will they hold on today?

It is a shame that wasn't the final, as with Barca they are the best sides in the competition. Hope Atleti go onto win it now though, I couldn't stand another Real win like two years ago. That was actually probably the worst I've seen Atleti play in a big game for a while, strangely.

I expect Simeone will be banned for the final for hitting the 4th official.

3 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Yeah, happy that Atleti held on. Great defensive effort. I only hope that they show a bit more attacking intent in the final.

Not in our lifetimes.

3 hours ago, Notone said:

Spanish Chelsea with Argentinian Mourinho?

Atlético are just too dirty for my taste. Simeone has been evolving into the new Mourinho.

3 hours ago, Gears of the Beast said:

Why are people still spreading this bullshit? He hit someone from his own staff not a 4th official lol

Neither one nor the other. It was the UEFA delegate. He shouldn't even be allowed in the stadium, since he'll try to flout the restrictions on communication with the players as he did in his Liga ban.

EDIT: Sorry, I've just checked. It was HIS delegate on the field. So no sanction, I guess.

6 hours ago, Gustavo Fringed Sleeves said:

Not in our lifetimes.

Atlético are just too dirty for my taste. Simeone has been evolving into the new Mourinho.

We'll see. Don't really care how they play as long as they win. I actually enjoy Atletico's style of play for the most part.  Simeone is more like the Mourinho of 10-12 years ago rather than the Mourinho of recent years. Back then Mourinho went into big games with the intent of winning. Now he goes into those games with the intention of not losing. He's become far too conservative over the years.

11 hours ago, Notone said:

It's not like Liverpool, or Arsenal have won a whole lot league titles in that period of time either. And they are literally not playing in the same league as Barcelona (No offense).

Yes, but Liverpool and Arsenal haven't been playing in the league with ONLY Barcelona and (in two seasons only) Atletico as their rivals for the title during that period.

10 hours ago, Notone said:

Spanish Chelsea with Argentinian Mourinho?

You may like Simeone and Atletico or not, but they did get the result over Guardiola and Bayern. There are no artistic impression bonus points in football. If you want that, go watch figure skating. There's no bonus goals for every 10% possession over 50% or for every 5-10 attempts at goal or things like that. Having 70% possession, 30+ shots on goal and not advancing speaks more about the quality of those shots and possession than about Atletico's display.

While I don't like Simeone and Atletico and think they will ruin the final match against either of their possible rivals, I like how they keep knocking out teams that are "better" than they are.

1 hour ago, baxus said:

Yes, but Liverpool and Arsenal haven't been playing in the league with ONLY Barcelona and (in two seasons only) Atletico as their rivals for the title during that period.

You may like Simeone and Atletico or not, but they did get the result over Guardiola and Bayern. There are no artistic impression bonus points in football. If you want that, go watch figure skating. There's no bonus goals for every 10% possession over 50% or for every 5-10 attempts at goal or things like that. Having 70% possession, 30+ shots on goal and not advancing speaks more about the quality of those shots and possession than about Atletico's display.

While I don't like Simeone and Atletico and think they will ruin the final match against either of their possible rivals, I like how they keep knocking out teams that are "better" than they are.

Could you please forward this to Roberto Martinez?

56 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

Could you please forward this to Roberto Martinez?

With a cc to Arsene Wenger and Arsenal's players as well, please.

I assumed I'd be able to watch the City game from my hotel room (in Manchester) but it appears that neither ITV nor Sky Sports have the broadcasting rights.  I haven't paid attention to this in a long time.  But it's not a big deal because I'll be at Anfield tomorrow and that's the main highlight.  It'll be tough tomorrow night but we'll walk on with hope in our hearts. 

Our corporate leadership training this week is being held in the hospitality suite at Old Trafford overlooking the pitch.  Today we got a tour of the training facility at Carrington and tomorrow we'll get the stadium tour.  Once the tour guide realized I'm a Liverpool fan, we had a back and forth going to whole time that only a quarter of the group understood.  He was pretty good natured about it. 

23 hours ago, Gears of the Beast said:

Why are people still spreading this bullshit? He hit someone from his own staff not a 4th official lol

Sorry. Saw him hit someone holding the board and thought it was the 4th official.

23 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I assumed I'd be able to watch the City game from my hotel room (in Manchester) but it appears that neither ITV nor Sky Sports have the broadcasting rights.  I haven't paid attention to this in a long time.  But it's not a big deal because I'll be at Anfield tomorrow and that's the main highlight.  It'll be tough tomorrow night but we'll walk on with hope in our hearts. 

Our corporate leadership training this week is being held in the hospitality suite at Old Trafford overlooking the pitch.  Today we got a tour of the training facility at Carrington and tomorrow we'll get the stadium tour.  Once the tour guide realized I'm a Liverpool fan, we had a back and forth going to whole time that only a quarter of the group understood.  He was pretty good natured about it. 

It it on BT Sport Europe if you have it. Enjoy the match tomorrow.

City have shown nothing here but I have a feeling they might grab a completely undeserved goal. They have a great record of last minute goals in the biggest games, such as in 1999 and 2012.

This game certainly did not have the tension of last nights match. In fact both legs were rather tame affairs. City were disappointing over the two legs and never really threatened Real. Hopefully Atletico put in a better performance in the final than they did two years ago.

With Athletico playing like Chelsea, I'd prefer if they could somehow both lose the CL final.  Perhaps JT could give tips.  It was fun when they were first upsetting the entitled duo in Spain, but less so when it's a multi year program of kicking shins and parking buses. 

Kicking shins is standard practice for a Simeone team. I hope there is less "parking the bus" though. I'm hoping that Atleti's performance in the final resembles that of the 1st leg against Bayern rather than the 2nd leg.

2 hours ago, Consigliere said:

This game certainly did not have the tension of last nights match. In fact both legs were rather tame affairs. City were disappointing over the two legs and never really threatened Real. Hopefully Atletico put in a better performance in the final than they did two years ago.

Couldn't agree more. Really terrible semi final. Both legs were awful. 

Archived