Daenerys' reaction to RLJ

dsug

Assuming Jon Snow is the child of Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark, how will a certain Mother of Dragons take this news? Part of me thinks she'd be welcoming to another Targaryen. Part of me thinks she'd be distrustful of the bastard of a dead brother she never met. 

I could see her accepting him as family, as long as he recognizes her reign, or something to that affect.

thanks for reading

But Jon's not legitimate. Any way you slice it, he's a bastard. The council set some pretty strict rules for Targ succession, but as far as I remember, legitimate female heirs still came before bastards. You can argue he's legitimized, but who's going to do that? 50/50 shot it's Dany, and I wouldn't think she'd do that unless she had the promise he recognized her as regnant.

11 minutes ago, BanzaiZ said:

But Jon's not legitimate. Any way you slice it, he's a bastard. The council set some pretty strict rules for Targ succession, but as far as I remember, legitimate female heirs still came before bastards. You can argue he's legitimized, but who's going to do that? 50/50 shot it's Dany, and I wouldn't think she'd do that unless she had the promise he recognized her as regnant.

Are you saying there is no chance Rhaegar married Lyanna? And I would hazard a guess all of the North (X-Boltons) would be willing to argue that fact

7 minutes ago, AryaGonnaEatThatDeadFatGuy said:

Are you saying there is no chance Rhaegar married Lyanna? And I would hazard a guess all of the North (X-Boltons) would be willing to argue that fact

There's no way in hell to prove it. Everyone who could've witnessed the wedding is dead unless there is someone else out there we don't know of. 

At the Tower of Joy, Lyanna was found on her deathbed and Rhaegar was already dead, killed at the Battle of the Trident. There most likely was not a wedding. 

Dany will not believe Jon carries Targaryen blood.  She will not believe until Jon is summon in her presence.  That will happen only after she's dealt with fAegon.  Drogon will kill fAegon, eating the boy up, mirroring what happened at the end of Dance 1.0.

Dany's big RLJ reveal will be in front of the great lords and people of Westeros during the Great Council.

Just as a black winged bird landed on Jon's shoulder, cementing the votes for him to be elected as the Lord Commander.

This time, Jon will mount the shoulder of another larger black winged bird... in front of Dany and the great lords, cementing their votes for him to be elected as their king.

34 minutes ago, StarkofWinterfell said:

There's no way in hell to prove it. Everyone who could've witnessed the wedding is dead unless there is someone else out there we don't know of. 

At the Tower of Joy, Lyanna was found on her deathbed and Rhaegar was already dead, killed at the Battle of the Trident. There most likely was not a wedding. 

I don't know that you can say there is no way to prove it. We know of one person who is alive that may have had knowledge of it in Howland. But I will grant you he probably wasn't there for the wedding

But I also don't think the wedding happened at the TOJ with only a few people there. It could have happened anywhere, so there could have been people living now who saw it. As I think about it, I don't even know that there is any proof it didn't happen in KL. There is no mention of it, but that could all be to help keep the eventual reveal a surprise

<s>And lastly, this wouldn't prove a marriage. Does anyone think it was likely that Rhaegar left Jon a dragon's egg for his crib? If HR is holding on to that for him, that could help prove R+L=J to westeros</s>

Spoiler

Better speculate now, since the show may be providing some of this detail next week 

I believe she'd be more accepting of the idea than some people think.  She definitely misses her family, even though she only knew Viserys personally.  She especially seems to worship Rhaegar as the idealized Targaryen prince.  It seems to me that discovering a part of her long-lost family through her Targaryen idol, bastard or not, would be welcome.

Of course, this all depends on Jon's personality when he's (presumably) resurrected.  If he comes back and is set on claiming his birthright or something, all bets are off. 

I think Dany would believe it more easily than Jon. Even if there was convincing proof shown to him it would take a lot of time for him to not think of Ned as his natural father. For Dany though it would be like finding a missing piece of the puzzle for her prophecy. Jon is far more humble and modest than fAgeon so he's not going to run around acting like a royal douche once he accepts it and Dany will see that he has no interest in being King.

Honestly, I'm not sure Dany will want to rule Westeros if she wins. Part of it is due the whole Messiah's monomyth and how the hero doesn't get to enjoy the world he saved. And part of it is how Dany relishes on riding horses and sailing because of the freedom she feels.

I just don't picture her enjoying her time in the Iron Throne, listening to little lords bickering to each other, day after day after day until she dies.

So, while I doubt Jon would be seen as a legitimate son by Westerosi Lords, meaning he's not a threat to her claim, I don't think she'd be necessarily wary about him. First and foremost, Jon won't move for the Iron Throne until the White Walkers are beaten and Dany won't leave Westeros to fend for itself against them (assuming she lands with dragons and learns from the menace, that's it). Once the White Walkers are beating, if they both survive, I think they can reach some sort of accommodation.

It's WAR!!! My guess is by the time Dany hears of R+L = J, she would have gone to war against and have defeated fAegon to win the Iron Throne. By then Jon Snow himself would have become the undisputed leader in the North, de facto King in the North.

So regardless of R + L = J, Jon would be considered threat to Dany's desire to unify  all 7 kingdoms. With R+L=J, Jon would be viewed as another fAegon threatening to steal the Iron Throne from Dany. She'll have to deal with the Jon the same way she dealt with fAegon. Goto War.as another pretender.

She will take her Dragon and march north. This time, Jon will defeat her like he defeated the Others.

8 hours ago, dsug said:

Assuming Jon Snow is the child of Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark, how will a certain Mother of Dragons take this news? Part of me thinks she'd be welcoming to another Targaryen. Part of me thinks she'd be distrustful of the bastard of a dead brother she never met. 

I could see her accepting him as family, as long as he recognizes her reign, or something to that affect.

thanks for reading

I think she'd probably be pleased to learn that she wasn't the only Targaryen left in the world, assuming that she believed that he was Rhaegar's son.

9 minutes ago, SeanF said:

I think she'd probably be pleased to learn that she wasn't the only Targaryen left in the world, assuming that she believed that he was Rhaegar's son.

I think she would be pleased too. I can't see them fighting of the Iron Thrones, I don't think Jon would care much for being King. King of the North on the other hand...;)

I believe that Daenerys will react with understanding and will show compassion to the whole situation if it is true that Jon is Rhaegar's child. As for her future I strongly believe that she will not involve herself directly and non-stop with the politics of the Seven Kingdoms. Aegon I Targaryen let his wives and  Lord Hand to deal with the day to day matters of the Court and he remained on his beloved Dragonstone though he wrested power if needed be. So Jon and whoever else can rule in her place and there will be no problem. That is if all go according to the above reasoning.

8 hours ago, Makk said:

Disbelief. Particularly if she has already tangled with fAegon. Plus if Jon was legitimate he would technically have a better claim to the throne which would be awkward.

As I read the ideas and the opinions about the true heir of Aerys II Targaryen I am disturbed because of the fact that  many fans  truly believe that Jon if he is truly a Targaryen stands a chance to inherit the Iron Throne of the Conqueror. It is totally insane to think  that the great and the lesser Houses of Westeros will accept Jon as king . With what evidence of royal blood ?? Even if Bran's visions in the show speak the truth about the tower of joy who will believe him or whatever evidence is brought forward ? Many years have passed and the general truth is that Rhaegar and his heirs are dead. It is also said that Aerys himself nearly disowned Rhaegar (if it isn't fact). Westeros has already many pretenders, do you think that the lords will support someone who was thought to be the bastard of Ned ?? What can be accepted as truth is that Viserys was Aerys living and acknowledged heir after the death of Rhaegar and his children and now Daenerys holds the most legal claim through blood as well as power some might say. As for the theory that all believe in( as well as I), I think that it has enough merit though without substantial evidence to support a claim. He only stands a chance if he is married to someone with the power to do so. Stannis himself told Jon the same thing  in the books.

I would like to hear your opinions. 

3 hours ago, Jaehaerys Targaryen said:

As I read the ideas and the opinions about the true heir of Aerys II Targaryen I am disturbed because of the fact that  many fans  truly believe that Jon if he is truly a Targaryen stands a chance to inherit the Iron Throne of the Conqueror. It is totally insane to think  that the great and the lesser Houses of Westeros will accept Jon as king . With what evidence of royal blood ?? Even if Bran's visions in the show speak the truth about the tower of joy who will believe him or whatever evidence is brought forward ? Many years have passed and the general truth is that Rhaegar and his heirs are dead. It is also said that Aerys himself nearly disowned Rhaegar (if it isn't fact). Westeros has already many pretenders, do you think that the lords will support someone who was thought to be the bastard of Ned ?? What can be accepted as truth is that Viserys was Aerys living and acknowledged heir after the death of Rhaegar and his children and now Daenerys holds the most legal claim through blood as well as power some might say. As for the theory that all believe in( as well as I), I think that it has enough merit though without substantial evidence to support a claim. He only stands a chance if he is married to someone with the power to do so. Stannis himself told Jon the same thing  in the books.

My personal opinion is that "claim to the throne" hasn't really mattered the past 15 years in Westeros...and will matter even less, maybe not at all, when winter comes.  Stannis, Tommen, Euron, Dany, Jon, hell Bran technically has claim as King in the North.  

Nobody has claim now, it has to be taken or earned in the battle for dawn.  

9 hours ago, Jaehaerys Targaryen said:

I have no idea how GRRM would make the rest of the realm believe Jon is who he is. But there have been too many hints, like the Raven saying King or Jon saying young princes must not receive blows from bastards in talking about how he wasn't allowed to spar with Joffery, to completely ignore the fact that Jon may be king.

10 hours ago, Jaehaerys Targaryen said:

Daenerys holds the most legal claim through blood as well as power

There is a passage in Dance, near the end, Daenerys is in a field of grass waving in the wind.  Drogon comes, and the grass bows low, before the dragon.  A stone turns under Daenerys' foot and she is forced to her knees.  It is very indicative that Daenerys will bow to the dragon that is Jon. 

Archived