[Spoilers] Rant and Rave without Reprecussions - Season 6 Edition

Ran

6 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

But then he asked Carol to help him be strong, that he wants to be strong like she taught him, blah blah blah. Inconsistent, lazy writing as usual.

He's really missing his Lady's Poosey. Messed his whole brain up!

The conflicts within the mind of a teenage Poosey missing King! I swear I miss Joff

57 minutes ago, LadySoftheart said:

Thirded! :P The ghost of Sean Bean's Ned Stark is rattling his bones at this horrifying person who brags about bringing down Arthur Dayne :P (I'm actually quite surprised that they bothered with any other KG or Ned's companions - surely they just wanted to create an analogous scene to Jaime's fight with Ned in the first season. They even blondified Ned!)

And it's even worse that this was Arthur Dayne, like, why'd you kill the hot guy?

Thinking of all the stupid stuff going on in this season I really feel that the majority of the problems stem from not doing the actual story arcs that would have made season 5 interesting. They ended season 4 with Jamie/Cersei sleeping together and reconciled, Tyrion kills Shae in self-defense and never learns about Tysha, there is no Lady Stoneheart and BWB reintroduction, they allow Brienne to come in contact with Arya and Sandor which effects those story lines going forward. If they had done these few story lines more faithfully, then season 5 would have followed Brienne's travels with Pod and end that season (I think three scenes focusing on their travels through the war torn country side and maybe saving someone could suffice until LSH captures them) with them being captured by LSH, Jamie would be in the RL and Cersei would grow increasingly more paranoid and dangerous  leading to the WOS, Tyrion would have the dark character journey he was meant to have, Arya would follow her training in accordance to the book and instead of her killing Trent in that over the top way, it would be done in the cold efficient way she is meant to, and we get an introduction of Doran and his family through Ellaria coming back with Gregor's head. In addition, season 5 would be Sansa as Alayne in the Vale (she would never reveal herself to the Vale Lords in season 4) LF would start to bringing up Harry the Heir, she befriends Myranda, and we meet LF's guard, Lothar Brune. This stuff at the Vale could literally be two scenes in one episode just to show what LF is plotting and show the viewers how Sansa is really becoming this bastard girl.Meanwhile, we get an update of what's going on in the North, we see Theon's current condition and the scenes are played from is perspective, he hears about 'Arya Stark' coming to marry Ramsay, but we as viewers realize quite fast it's a peasant girl that is being forced into this situation. We get the Northern Lords coming to WF, have the heart tree scene, the spearwives because Mance does have the glamour. Mance, Stannis, and Barristan all survive the season, but it could be left open-ended to create suspense if they need it for season 6. I think the most screen time could be divided between WF, Mereen, and the Wall with a few important scenes in KL and Braavos. Ten hours can achieve most of these major plots by cutting down on trivial dialogue that doesn't add to the plot or character development, as well as out-of-character moments.

5 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

I've looked for interviews with Siddig, haven't found any. I'm curious to see what he'll say. 

There's definitely a pattern where the talented Super-Pro Actors aren't saying very nice things about the show. It's the young ones who have made their name with GoT who are like 'yaaay, that shits amaaaazing! The showrunners are like super cooool' snort snort.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/05/game-of-thrones-george-rr-martin-chapter-winds-of-winter-dorne

As the massively popular show looks less and less like the massively popular book series it’s based on, Martin has distanced himself from the creative process. This attitude from the author really picked up steam back in Season 4,when the tone of a sexual encounter between Cersei and Jaime translated very differently on-screen than it did in the book. And in Season 5, when the sexual assault on Sansa sent shock waves through the fan base, Martin reiterated his hands-off stance.

54 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I'll give them the Sansa/Cat is a parallel.

The small council scene seems more like, they were out of ideas and remembered how much people raved about the earlier small council scene, so they did it again, only this time, it fell flat.

Except Sandor is Sansa's knight. And Brienne's mission is to get her somewhere safe, for Jaime.

Emphasis is all off on this show. It's like they don't even know the meaning of the word.

GRRM doesn't do matchy matchy. Duplicate parallels, like people are bookends or something.

Sansa and Brienne never even met in the books, and who knows if they ever will.

1 minute ago, kissdbyfire said:

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/05/game-of-thrones-george-rr-martin-chapter-winds-of-winter-dorne

As the massively popular show looks less and less like the massively popular book series it’s based on, Martin has distanced himself from the creative process. This attitude from the author really picked up steam back in Season 4,when the tone of a sexual encounter between Cersei and Jaime translated very differently on-screen than it did in the book. And in Season 5, when the sexual assault on Sansa sent shock waves through the fan base, Martin reiterated his hands-off stance.

LOL.  I am always told that this idea that GRRM is dissatisfied with the show is me being a crazy conspiracy theorist.  I guess Vanity Fair can join the ranters.

I did notice that the ariticles extolling how great it is that Dan and Dave are off book, free to show their genius, have slowed to a trickle and instead we're seeing pieces about how...without GRRM books Dan and Dave are starting to flounder and rely on spectacle.

Who coulda thunk it?

58 minutes ago, LadySoftheart said:

Sean Bean could've sold that scene! (Probably!) Are you hyped for when we get Ned & Lyanna now? This is going to be AMAZING, I'm sure, with these two actors :D)

The just skipped her story with Rhaegar. Straight from child to madonna. Immaculate conception.

Rhaegar, the beautiful hot guy who made even Cersei act like she had a heart for a moment or two.

6 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

LOL.  I am always told that this idea that GRRM is dissatisfied with the show is me being a crazy conspiracy theorist.  I guess Vanity Fair can join the ranters.

I did notice that the ariticles extolling how great it is that Dan and Dave are off book, free to show their genius, have slowed to a trickle and instead we're seeing pieces about how...without GRRM books Dan and Dave are starting to flounder and rely on spectacle.

Who coulda thunk it?

Yup, I've noticed the same trend. All those rubbish articles "the showrunners are throwing away the books and improving the story" peaked right before s 5 started, and I have no doubts whatsoever that HBO's might in creating hype was a massive part of that. Then s 5 was shite, and now s 6, "our best season yet! Not one weak episode" is shaping up to be just as bad as 5. And the hype is kinda dying down, much deservedly imo. 

3 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Oh, yeah... Now that would have been something. They should have just done it as a flashback in season 1.

Yep.  It should have been Ned's dream right before Varys shows up the second time.

It would have been a mysterious element.  Although the show's not too good with establishing a different tone for any scene.

12 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

So George didn't have much 'power' over the show? Hhmm interesting. I honestly thought, kind of still do, that he threw a hissy fit and walked away it, leaving it to d+d. Why didn't GRRM put his foot down a bit? Why didn't he spend more time with the Ds and be part of the creative process of the show? George can't be blameless here..

2 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

oh jesus, all this talk about dreams just reminded me of the shae flashblack.  Why, why why why why??

Yeah, that sounded stupid when I heard the rumors she was coming back. Of all the people to get a fever dream about a loved one, it's St. Tyrion? If anything I would have preferred Jon having a fever dream about TOJ after he's resurrected to show that he is changed by what happened and this way the characterization of Ned and Company can be more faithful to the book scene.

1 minute ago, WinterPool Stark said:

So George didn't have much 'power' over the show? Hhmm interesting. I honestly thought, kind of still do, that he threw a hissy fit and walked away it, leaving it to d+d. Why didn't GRRM put his foot down a bit? Why didn't he spend more time with the Ds and be part of the creative process of the show? George can't be blameless here..

he's not really in a position to put his foot down, because he sold the rights of the story to HBO and Dan and Dave are hired to make the show.

i don't think he had a hissy fit, but it could be that there was some final straw and he stopped working with the show.  Up through season 4 he still seemed to be in touch with them, talking to the actors and a part of the process.  now, you would hardly know the show was airing based on his blog and he seems to have zero input.

2 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

he's not really in a position to put his foot down, because he sold the rights of the story to HBO and Dan and Dave are hired to make the show.

i don't think he had a hissy fit, but it could be that there was some final straw and he stopped working with the show.  Up through season 4 he still seemed to be in touch with them, talking to the actors and a part of the process.  now, you would hardly know the show was airing based on his blog and he seems to have zero input.

I just thought he would've had a clause or something where he's involved. He was some executive producer or something? Maybe I misunderstood what that meant.

i honestly believe the rift happened because of Sansa getting Jeyne's story. I didn't buy George's reasons for not writing an episode anymore due to him being 'busy' and 'time'. It was definitely Sansa. I still think he should've gone all out nuts over it!!

Archived