[Spoilers] Rant and Rave without Reprecussions - Season 6 Edition

Ran

3 hours ago, Neds Secret said:

No no no , tits are magic, peckers are not magic, just ask Tormund, there was no magic for Tormund when he spied Jons pecker during the "magic resurrection  ritual" and he was that disappointed he felt the need to tell Jon Snow forthwith. Tormund even felt the need to lift up the loincloth on Jon to check, evidently!

So from that logic, Varys must be the most magical person on the show, since Tyrion points out every hour that he has no "cock"

2 hours ago, OldGimletEye said:

Low rent soap opera drama?

That would be my first guess. There maybe other good guesses. Though actually improving her story not being one.

It certainly didn't make Sansa's book story any better. Because really what did she do in Winterhell other than get abused by Ramsay? Not much. Thanks, but I'll take a pass on that.

The point of Sansa's storyline is so that the true Hero of the North, Batfinger, can jetpack his whole army around Moat Cailin and rescue Jon and Sansa.

5 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Exactly. It's in the books, Ned and Reed against Dayne, and only the former two survive. 

And the main point is not the fight (we don't even get to "see" it). But in the show. Yadi, yadi, yadi, end of the talk let's FIGHT ARRRRRGHH

4 minutes ago, apovsic said:

And the main point is not the fight (we don't even get to "see" it). But in the show. Yadi, yadi, yadi, end of the talk let's FIGHT ARRRRRGHH

Yeah. It's such a beautiful scene in the books... But I must say, I wasn't disappointed with how the scene played out n the show, because that's exactly what I expected they'd do. Turn the whole thing into a badass fight and drop everything that really mattered. Typical GoT. 

ETA for clarity: I HATED the scene, but I wasn't disappointed. 

11 minutes ago, Chebyshov said:

Yup, but clearly Bran's reaction was supposed to make us think it was a problem. And the Outside the Episode rather confirmed this.

This is where I conclude I must live on an entirely different planet than D & D do.

Because the stuff they think I shouldn't have a problem with I do. For example:

1. I have a problem with Jon executing men under the authority of the LC and then saying "aw shucks I never really was the LC because I wasn't even part of the NW!"

2. I have problem with Brienne killing Stannis and acting like it was "justice" when nobody in the North empowered Brienne to carry out justice. And really Brienne should have gotten like Sansa's okay before presuming to do "justice".Maybe I am too wedded to proper procedure or something. But it seems to me that is one thing that divides revenge from justice.

But the stuff they think I should have a problem with I necessarily don't.
I don't have a problem with Howland Reed killing Dayne to save his buddy Ned. If you're in combat and that's what you gotta to do to save your friend's life, then that's what you do.

Although I am greatly irked that according to D & D, Ned is now a trash talking bullshit artist.

1 minute ago, kissdbyfire said:

Yeah. It's such a beautiful scene in the books... But I must say, I wasn't disappointed with how the scene played out n the show, because that's exactly what I expected they'd do. Turn the whole thing into a badass fight and drop everything that really mattered. Typical GoT. 

To be honest, if I didn't read the books, I would be probably OK with the scene, because from show - only view, what is wrong? Nothing much. Well and then I would probably forgot about it, because it just seems to come out of nothing and contributes nothing, so it's just nothing.

5 minutes ago, apovsic said:

I still can't believe the way they segued into that scene. I thought we might get a scene with Bran up north of the wall or maybe a scene with Jon and there being an allusion to his past. Instead, if I remember correctly, it goes from No-values-Sam and his perpetual baby to just a jump straight to the ToJ.

1 minute ago, SuperMario said:

And of the most beloved scenes in the books will be reduces to "What scene? Oh scene with that guy with two swords. He was BADASS! Except that I don't remember anything!"

1 minute ago, SuperMario said:

I still can't believe the way they segued into that scene. I thought we might get a scene with Bran up north of the wall or maybe a scene with Jon and there being an allusion to his past. Instead, if I remember correctly, it goes from No-values-Sam and his perpetual baby to just a jump straight to the ToJ.

And then we'll get ToJ II The Mission. And that 's a really scary thought. 

16 minutes ago, SuperMario said:

The point of Sansa's storyline is so that the true Hero of the North, Batfinger, can jetpack his whole army around Moat Cailin and rescue Jon and Sansa.

Yes, I am sure this was all set up so that the LF, aka Hero Of The North, could get something like a Roman Triumph.
Can't wait to see LF, in his chariot, going down the King's Road as grateful northerners cheer him on.

3 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

Yes, I am sure this was all set up so that the LF, aka Hero Of The North, could get something like a Roman Triumph.
Can't wait to see LF, in his chariot, going down the King's Road as grateful northerners cheer him on.

Well the Romans had two Consuls. It's perfect - Ramsay and LF could both have a Triumph through the streets of the winter town while the flayed bodies of their relatives look on.  THAT would be dramatically satisfying.

21 minutes ago, The Wull said:

Well the Romans had two Consuls. It's perfect - Ramsay and LF could both have a Triumph through the streets of the winter town while the flayed bodies of their relatives look on.  THAT would be dramatically satisfying.

Sansa would be a bone of contention though. That means that Ramsay will die a heroic death battling six men all at once, dispatched by a dishonorable stab in the back.

I got to be honest there are alot of scenes in this show that aren't bad on screen but then are ruined by the inside the episode because they make it clear what D&D want the interpretation to be. Like last year when Arya couldn't let go of needle on front looks like the books and one could interpret like that but then those two idiots do their behind the scenes stuff and say it's because "needle is symbolic of revenge" or Reed saving Ned I wouldn't mind but then those two idiots say they are "deconstructing the myth of Ned"

5 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

The thing is, it doesn't matter either way. It doesn't matter if one of these options is the "correct answer" or not. And I'm not at all confused, I know it means fuck all. It's just something that would look cool and leave viewers wondering, "OMG what does it mean?". It's exactly the typical bs writing that instead of creating a proper and well-developed mystery, goes for the cheap muddying of the water to create shallow and fake "suspense". 

That's exactly right. You know, there was one point in the show, a few seasons ago, where unsullied would have youtube casts where they talked to each, and based on what has happened, what the characters' personalities that have been set up, try to guess where the story was going.

Nowadays it's impossible, I mean stuff like Ellaria's coup this season, there is no way, no how, anyone could have watched up to season 5, and based on what has been shown, think that is even possible.  The show no longer has this cause and effect thing that the series is know for. Things just happen, not because there are reasons for them to happen, but because the plot requires them to. 

2 hours ago, OldGimletEye said:

This is where I conclude I must live on an entirely different planet than D & D do.

Because the stuff they think I shouldn't have a problem with I do. For example:

1. I have a problem with Jon executing men under the authority of the LC and then saying "aw shucks I never really was the LC because I wasn't even part of the NW!"

Yup!  Great point!  IF death can be used as a loophole to get out of the NW vows, and Jon used it as such, then Jon no longer had the authority to execute anyone as LC after he died (never mind the fact that I seriously doubt Book!Jon will forsake his NW vows after he's resurrected anyway).

2. I have problem with Brienne killing Stannis and acting like it was "justice" when nobody in the North empowered Brienne to carry out justice. And really Brienne should have gotten like Sansa's okay before presuming to do "justice".Maybe I am too wedded to proper procedure or something. But it seems to me that is one thing that divides revenge from justice.

Another thing that I immediately ranted about after it happened!  If I had been drinking anything when Brienne said that she was dispensing justice on Stannis "in the name of King Renly Baratheon, rightful king of the Seven Kingdoms" I would have done a spit-take all over my tv screen.  The only logical response from Stannis to that should have been to simply ask "by what right was Renly EVER the rightful king?"  Of course, that would make too much sense and Show!Brienne would have absolutely no answer!:rolleyes:  

But the stuff they think I should have a problem with I necessarily don't.
I don't have a problem with Howland Reed killing Dayne to save his buddy Ned. If you're in combat and that's what you gotta to do to save your friend's life, then that's what you do.

Although I am greatly irked that according to D & D, Ned is now a trash talking bullshit artist.

Mark me down as another who hated the show's rendering of this iconic, legendary scene.  I pointed out that I was quite disappointed with Ned's delivery of "Now it ends!" right after seeing the preview.  And now that I think about it some more I also lament the fact that, if a bit more backstory/history had been established, show viewers would have also seen that the "Now it begins" - "No, now it ends" exchange was not only, if at all, referring to the fight that was about to happen.  No, I believe it was referring to a great deal more than that;) 

42 minutes ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

That's exactly right. You know, there was one point in the show, a few seasons ago, where unsullied would have youtube casts where they talked to each, and based on what has happened, what the characters' personalities that have been set up, try to guess where the story was going.

Nowadays it's impossible, I mean stuff like Ellaria's coup this season, there is no way, no how, anyone could have watched up to season 5, and based on what has been shown, think that is even possible.  The show no longer has this cause and effect thing that the series is know for. Things just happen, not because there are reasons for them to happen, but because the plot requires them to. 

They've butchered our show, killed off our characters, and mangled up the one story that truly mattered in our lives. They must pay for what they have done. Parade them naked down the streets and throw shit at them. 

50 minutes ago, Stannis is the man....nis said:

I got to be honest there are alot of scenes in this show that aren't bad on screen but then are ruined by the inside the episode because they make it clear what D&D want the interpretation to be. Like last year when Arya couldn't let go of needle on front looks like the books and one could interpret like that but then those two idiots do their behind the scenes stuff and say it's because "needle is symbolic of revenge" or Reed saving Ned I wouldn't mind but then those two idiots say they are "deconstructing the myth of Ned"

They really said that? It's like they can't have any characters be sympathetic apart from their faves...

It'd be one thing to just deconstruct characters who are put on a pedestal by other people for their virtues etc, but it doesn't work at all because they're whitewashing the hell out of other characters at the same time. Haha yeah, your favourite characters aren't all they're cracked up to be right guys? Unless they're Tyrion or Varys of course... 

It's kind of upsetting, why do they have to retroactively turn Ned into a lying scumbag? Because he tries to be honourable and just, and we're only supposed to admire "players" like Tyrion? I think they might be deconstructing the "myth" of Ned not being a meathead so anyone who remembers Littlefinger's role in his death isn't too bothered when LF swoops in and saves the north.

Just like they made Stannis as evil as possible so we wouldn't feel conflicted about Brienne killing him/Melisandre abandoning him. (I'm still mad about their handling of Stannis)

2 minutes ago, JCRB's Honeypot said:
"Let's make a hero of the guy who gives rapists and pedophiles children!!"

Oh joy. Why? :ack:

2 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

ETA for clarity: I HATED the scene, but I wasn't disappointed. 

When I read it for the first time, it brought a lump to my throat:-

“I looked for you on the Trident,” Ned said to them.

“We were not there,” Ser Gerold answered.

“Woe to the Usurper if we had been,” said Ser Oswell.

“When King's Landing fell, Ser Jaime slew your king with a golden sword, and I wondered where you were.”

“Far away,” Ser Gerold said, “or Aerys would yet sit the Iron Throne, and our false brother would burn in seven hells.”

“I came down on Storm's End to lift the siege,” Ned told them, and the Lords Tyrell and Redwyne dipped their banners, and all their knights bent the knee to pledge us fealty. I was certain you would be among them.”

“Our knees do not bend easily,” said Ser Arthur Dayne.

“Ser Willem Darry is fled to Dragonstone, with your queen and Prince Viserys. I thought you might have sailed with him.”

“Ser Willem is a good man and true,” said Ser Oswell.

“But not of the Kingsguard,” Ser Gerold pointed out. “The Kingsguard does not flee.”

“Then or now,” said Ser Arthur. He donned his helm.

“We swore a vow,” explained old Ser Gerold.

Ned’s wraiths moved up beside him, with shadow swords in hand. They were seven against three.

“And now it begins,” said Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning. He unsheathed Dawn and held it with both hands. The blade was pale as milkglass, alive with light.

“No,” Ned said with sadness in his voice. “Now it ends.”

There's no animosity on either side.  No bravado or histrionics.  Just three soldiers who know they can't win, but are determined to carry out the last orders they were given.  When you're provided with great source material, why not use it?

Archived