Who is Current Heir to the Iron Throne?

SerMixalot

5 hours ago, ShadowKitteh said:

I would love that.

Well, Jamie is also Rhaegar's younger brother (albeit a bastard) allowing him to be the Valonqar.

1 hour ago, AlysaGreyfeather said:

I know the answer! I read about this before! Jaimie Lannister is the legal heir to the throne!!!

But, who is the legal Heir if Jon is Rhaegar's eldest living son (albeit a bastard also) and Dany is the Mad King's only living child? How does that line of succession work?

Let's say we have Jamie being the eldest living male child of Aegon - but a bastard and Dany being the only living non bastard child? Who trumps them? And, if Jon is the eldest male child of Aegon's first born son, who trumps then? I don't think it will matter - I think the 3 of them will all compete for King's Landing and destroy it in the process - but I have no idea who is the rightful Heir of them all.

3 hours ago, ummester said:

Well, Jamie is also Rhaegar's younger brother (albeit a bastard) allowing him to be the Valonqar.

But, who is the legal Heir if Jon is Rhaegar's eldest living son (albeit a bastard also) and Dany is the Mad King's only living child? How does that line of succession work?

Let's say we have Jamie being the eldest living male child of Aegon - but a bastard and Dany being the only living non bastard child? Who trumps them? And, if Jon is the eldest male child of Aegon's first born son, who trumps then? I don't think it will matter - I think the 3 of them will all compete for King's Landing and destroy it in the process - but I have no idea who is the rightful Heir of them all.

Robert Baratheon got on the throne by conquest! So the Targaryens have no right to the throne anymore - unless they reconquer it! ;)  So no child of the Targaryens - Bastard or legal has a right because of birth to sit on the throne! Not since the day King Aerys got killed!

On June 7, 2016 at 0:38 PM, Lady Fishbiscuit said:

In the book it would be Myrcella, then Stannis, then Shireen. As they're all dead in the show, it's either great council, big fight or go back through the generations... Great article here about it...

http://mashable.com/2016/05/03/game-thrones-heir/#fz.lC1JWLuqt

Thanks for the article, I always wondered based on the family tree 's who would be the "legal" heir to the iron throne, not that it would come into play, just something i always wondered about.

Interestingly what I find so funny, regardless of whether Tommen/Joffrey/Mrycella were bastards with Jaime or not, if Stannis /Renly/Shireen still die it wouldn't matter. If they were legitimized Lannisters they would still get the Iron Throne (assuming Jaime is KG and Tyrion banned still).

On June 7, 2016 at 0:58 PM, SerMixalot said:

Ahh interesting theory and makes sense in terms of the show, though Dany stills seems a bit aways from Westeros.  But why would Margery not want to get pregnant as soon as possible, a child would strengthen her position as queen

Yeah, I thought Margaery not sleeping with Tommen was weird.  Maybe it's just because it's tv and she would seem too pervy as he's... what 14 years old...

I believe that Daenerys is next in line by being the closest trueborn relative to the then extinct Baratheons. She is second cousins with Robert since both are great grandchildren of Aegon V meaning she is some sort of aunt of Tommen's. If Jon turns out to be a legitimate son of Rhaegar's he jumps ahead in succession order though (or if Aegon son of Rhaegar were alive but there are no indications whatsoever in-show of that!) The other possibility would be to legitimize Gendry or another one of Robert's bastards. 

Patchface will be introduced at the end of the season and begin to systematically sweep aside  all pretenders. He will Wed Sansa,  Arya, Cersei, Margaery, Lolllys Stokeworth, and Dany.  Pod the Rod will be his hand. With these titans standing together, any actual right to claim The Iron Throne will be crushed. Tyrion will Be the Warden of The North, South, East, and West. It is known.

31 minutes ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

I'm pretty sure that the heir to the Iron Throne towards the end of the saga is

Reveal hidden contents

the Night King

I'm down with that, obviously.

Would be pretty cool if it turns out he was the first Lord of Winterfell.

On 07/06/2016 at 11:38 PM, Lady Fishbiscuit said:

In the book it would be Myrcella, then Stannis, then Shireen. As they're all dead in the show, it's either great council, big fight or go back through the generations... Great article here about it...

http://mashable.com/2016/05/03/game-thrones-heir/#fz.lC1JWLuqt

I thought it was great and posted it in another thread a few weeks ago. Then someone far more knowledgeable pointed out that the family tree it's based on is spurious and it's a load of nonsense. Oh well.

13 hours ago, House Cambodia said:

I thought it was great and posted it in another thread a few weeks ago. Then someone far more knowledgeable pointed out that the family tree it's based on is spurious and it's a load of nonsense. Oh well.

Ha ha! At least we used someone else's workings out and didn't spend hours on it ourselves before it was rubbished! :D

I believe Rhaegar died before Aerys therefore Aerys was the last Targ King and it goes by his children Rhaegar, Vicerys and Dany. Rhaegar and Vicerys are both dead so the Targ heir is Dany. If Rhaegar was ever King then it would be his children that are his hair's but Rhaegar was not King. If he was it would be Aegon, Jon (if he was legitimate), Rhaenys.

On June 6, 2016 at 1:57 PM, SerMixalot said:

Ok, just curious what people's opinions are or what the facts are with regards to the Iron Throne succession.

Tommen is currently king and young and hale, but in GoT no one is safe and we have the Prophecy of his death.

He has no living siblings

Technically he is a Baratheon, but there are no living Baratheons-except maybe Gendry-but well he aint around and not going to be accepted as heir.

He is married to Margery and she is not pregnant, ie she was away from Tommen for months and is now stated she is not having sex with him.  That could change, we shall see

So next in succession are Lannisters????

Only males considered?

Options are

Lancel-Disinherited himself for religious reasons right?

Kevan-Tommens Grand Uncle

Jamie-now off the Kings Guard can rule, right? He is now Lord of Castle Rock

Anyone Else?

So it is between Jamie and Kevan, right? 

WOW Jamie is heir to the Iron Throne!???

The woman who rolls up with three dragons and tells Tommen to get the hell out of her chair.  Legally, you could argue that she has the best claim as well.

22 hours ago, JazzyButterfly said:

I believe Rhaegar died before Aerys therefore Aerys was the last Targ King and it goes by his children Rhaegar, Vicerys and Dany. Rhaegar and Vicerys are both dead so the Targ heir is Dany. If Rhaegar was ever King then it would be his children that are his hair's but Rhaegar was not King. If he was it would be Aegon, Jon (if he was legitimate), Rhaenys.

That is not how inheritance works anywhere in the world, let alone in Westeros.

Rhaegar does not have to have been crowned for his sons to be the next in line after him, before his siblings.  

Archived