Theory: At least one if not all of the dragons will die

Indoril Nerevar

I think all three dragons die. 

This might be tinfoil but i give it a try.

Viserys is Viserions namesake. Viserys was killed by Drogons namesake Drogo. So Drogon will kill Viserion.

Rhaegar is Rhaegals namesake. Rhegar was killed by Robert who was a warrior. Rhaegal will be killed by a warrior or a dragonslayer.

Drogons namesake was Drogo. Drogo was killed by Dany. Dany will kill or cause Drogons death.

though my favourite is that a ice dragon kills the dragons.   

4 hours ago, LordImp said:

Viserys is Viserions namesake. Viserys was killed by Drogons namesake Drogo. So Drogon will kill Viserion.

Or the dragons could die similar to the 3 from the conquest. We don't know vhagars colors, but Meraxes was similar to Viserion  (silver instead of cream, but golden eyes) and I think everyone agrees Drogon is a call back to Balerion.

Perhaps Viserion will die by crossbow. We happen to know someone who brags about how deadly he is with a crossbow, and happens to know to aim for the eyes, and happens to be in Mareen...

I don't really believe Tyrion will, but I also don't believe the dragons' deaths will be as simple as repeating their namesakes' deaths

Yeah at least one or two of them will die by the end of the books. I'd wager at least one dragon will survive by the end, would be a little off if all of the dragons who reappeared after a 100 years would die in a short span of time. 

Also, what the hell is an ice dragon?

5 hours ago, LordImp said:

I think all three dragons die. 

This might be tinfoil but i give it a try.

Rhaegar is Rhaegals namesake. Rhegar was killed by Robert who was a warrior. Rhaegal will be killed by a warrior or a dragonslayer.

Drogons namesake was Drogo. Drogo was killed by Dany. Dany will kill or cause Drogons death.

though my favourite is that a ice dragon kills the dragons.   

ICE DRAGONS EXIST!!!! And I am not talking some stoopid metaphor for Jon Snow reemerging as an "ice dragon" type thing.

Long live ice dragons! :cheers: Funny how dragons are referred to as looking like huge/gigantic bats that hang from caves... just saying my dream will come true.

A Dance with Dragons - Bran III

The moon was a crescent, thin and sharp as the blade of a knife. Summer dug up a severed arm, black and covered with hoarfrost, its fingers opening and closing as it pulled itself across the frozen snow. There was still enough meat on it to fill his empty belly, and after that was done he cracked the arm bones for the marrow. Only then did the arm remember it was dead.
Bran ate with Summer and his pack, as a wolf. As a raven he flew with the murder, circling the hill at sunset, watching for foes, feeling the icy touch of the air. As Hodor he explored the caves. He found chambers full of bones, shafts that plunged deep into the earth, a place where the skeletons of gigantic bats hung upside down from the ceiling.

A Dance with Dragons - Daenerys VIII

Every child knows its mother, Dany thought. When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves … "They call to me. Come." She took Prince Quentyn by the hand and led him to the pit where two of her dragons were confined. "Remain outside," Dany told Ser Barristan, as the Unsullied were opening the huge iron doors. "Prince Quentyn will protect me." She drew the Dornish prince inside with her, to stand above the pit.
The dragons craned their necks around, gazing at them with burning eyes. Viserion had shattered one chain and melted the others. He clung to the roof of the pit like some huge white bat, his claws dug deep into the burnt and crumbling bricks.

7 hours ago, lancerman said:

I've always had this weird idea in my head that Euron will do something crazy and magically summon a kraken with the warlocks help and it will drag one of the Dragons under water and drown it.

That would be awesome ! 

9 minutes ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

I believe that the dragons are an enemy for the humanity just like the Others, so if the Others will die the dragons will die too.

How are the dragons enemies of humanity? They may be smarter than your average animal, but even though they're probably magical they're still just animals. They're either wild beasts beasts that roam around the countryside, sometimes killing livestock and people for food, or they're bound to a very human dragonrider.

1 minute ago, TheSovereignGrave said:

How are the dragons enemies of humanity? They may be smarter than your average animal, but even though they're probably magical they're still just animals. They're either wild beasts beasts that roam around the countryside, sometimes killing livestock and people for food, or they're bound to a very human dragonrider.

They are an extremity just like the Others. They are mindless beasts who from what we have seen so far have no use for the people, their only use is to eslave and kill the people that don't obey their riders, nothing more.

Just now, Jon's Queen Consort said:

They are an extremity just like the Others. They are mindless beasts who from what we have seen so far have no use for the people, their only use is to eslave and kill the people that don't obey their riders, nothing more.

What about their usage in created the impressive architecture of the Valyrian Freehold? Or the great roads that span Essos? The Targaryens used them only for war, but that was hardly their only usage.

Just now, TheSovereignGrave said:

What about their usage in created the impressive architecture of the Valyrian Freehold? Or the great roads that span Essos? The Targaryens used them only for war, but that was hardly their only usage.

They have "done" those things by killing and enslaving people. From all we know the Others might have created great cities and monuments, that doesn't mean that they aren't an enemy to the humanity.

1 minute ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

They have "done" those things by killing and enslaving people. From all we know the Others might have created great cities and monuments, that doesn't mean that they aren't an enemy to the humanity.

Yes the Freehold killed and enslaved people. But they're hardly the only ones to do so, and it doesn't change the fact that dragons can be used for things other than war.

3 minutes ago, TheSovereignGrave said:

Yes the Freehold killed and enslaved people. But they're hardly the only ones to do so, and it doesn't change the fact that dragons can be used for things other than war.

The fact that others have done something like that doesn't mean that they were not guilty about it. The fact is that the dragons are enemies because they are extremities and they have done nothing good for the people.

20 hours ago, Indoril Nerevar said:

The dragons have been built up as mythical, unstoppable creatures.  George first subverted the superimportant mythical creature trope by killing direwolves, and I believe he's building up the the dragons to do something similar. 

I feel like I've said this in about three different posts today...

Dragons are not invincible and GRRM has never tried to say they are. The world book has at least a half dozen examples of dragons being killed in pretty normal ways. Meraxes (one of Aegon's original 3) went down from a scorpion bolt in the eye in Dorne. Stormcloud died of a belly full of arrows. Several were killed by a mob in the Dragonpit. Now, a dragon like Belerion may have been as close to unstoppable as something can be because if its ridiculous size, but even it died of old age. So overpowered as all hell, potentially yes, but no dragon is invincible, especially Dany's toddlers. 

But yes, I think at least one will die. I like the idea of their deaths tying into their namesakes. I'm not a Dany fan, but I'll be sad when/if they die. 

All three will die (along with Dany). The series will climax with the end of "magic" in Planetos, which will, in turn, bring the end of winter. At the end of the last book nothing that is created by magic, or innately magical will exist (e.g. the White Walkers, Un-Cat, the dragons, the Wall, Melisandre's youthful good looks, the magically-lengthened seasons). This is known (and by "known" I mean "I'm pretty sure").

Also, GRRM's status as slayer of tropes is overstated. Ned's death was a nice bit of misdirection (he's the main character! oops, I guess he isn't!), but since then it's all been pretty conventional.

Archived