Inigima

Careerchat II

290 posts in this topic

Congrats, Isk! That's awesome news. :) 

Congrats Isk!

Congrats baxus!

While I got a decent pay raise, the high end of what was given out, I didn't get what my boss put me in for (or what I thought I should get :P ) and my bonus was a little less than I thought I would get (my rating was 110% but only counts for 1/2 of the score...it's the division & my company that failed to meet their goals)

I'm also starting to train our admin. She works for the top guy in our area, so there isn't any room for her to move up without changing locations, or moving out of admin and into another department, so if it goes well for her, and our work load continues to be high enough to justify a new hire, she could join our team. I like the idea of training her. I've helped to train the other members of the team who don't have my experience (they were with a different group, but got put onto the team over a year ago), but it was all through my boss, not me doing it directly, so I didn't really get the full credit for doing it. (partly because I am the newest team member, and some might not like the idea of me training them, maybe not even boss's boss)

12 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

@baxus Congrats to you too.  I hope the offer matches your expectations.  Hopefully Snapchat's IPO has a coattail effect for comp in start-ups.

The problem is I don't know what to expect, really.

I'm not a legal expert, so this might be a bit confusing, but bear with me. In 5+ years since I've gradated, I've been a full-time employee of the companies I'd worked for and now I'd be switching to a consultant position employed full-time by the company. It comes down to basically the same, but legal stuff behind it is different - I'd basically count as a one man company cooperating with the startup I mentioned. A lot of IT companies in Belgrade, especially ones from US, handle their business that way. Bottom line is I'd pay less taxes, which would lead to me earning more money but I'd be giving up some other stuff.

Best part is that I'd qualify for stock options (US company, not the local one ;)) and I'd probably get to go to California, probably even Singapore or Indonesia.

6 hours ago, Lany Freelove Cassandra said:

Congrats baxus!

Thanks, Lany!

i am attempting to write a cover letter for pretty exciting (for me) job opportunity, but like, three hours in and i'd rather be fed feet first into a wood chipper. i feel i would be a good fit for this job, but when i try to put in writing why, i have such a hard time i start second guessing myself. with no education to speak of and maybe just more than marginally relevant experience, i am having a hard ass time making myself sound good and exciting with out resorting to 1) empty execu-speak platitudes or 2) outright lies. 

ugh, sorry for venting

1 hour ago, r'hllor's reformed lobster said:

i am attempting to write a cover letter for pretty exciting (for me) job opportunity, but like, three hours in and i'd rather be fed feet first into a wood chipper. i feel i would be a good fit for this job, but when i try to put in writing why, i have such a hard time i start second guessing myself. with no education to speak of and maybe just more than marginally relevant experience, i am having a hard ass time making myself sound good and exciting with out resorting to 1) empty execu-speak platitudes or 2) outright lies. 

ugh, sorry for venting

It sounds like you should lead with your passion for the role and why you are so excited about it.   Best of luck. 

11 hours ago, r'hllor's reformed lobster said:

ugh, sorry for venting

A friend of mine calls this "The Impostor syndrome". Basically, it's when one feels underqualified for a job or a task at hand without that actually being the case. Obviously, I can't say that you are suffering from it without knowing the details but we all know people quite often feel insecure during the interview process. If my experience is any indicator, the ones who show up with an "I can do this job without breaking a sweat" most often turn out to be the worst fit for the job. A little bit of insecurity is a good thing - it shows you care whether or not you get the job and that you're not some narcissistic douchebag.

Best of luck with your interview.

On 4/19/2017 at 6:57 PM, Iskaral Pust said:

It sounds like you should lead with your passion for the role and why you are so excited about it.   Best of luck. 

yaknow, as obvious as that may seem, this actually helped tremendously. feeling pretty solid about it now, thank you

19 hours ago, baxus said:

A friend of mine calls this "The Impostor syndrome". Basically, it's when one feels underqualified for a job or a task at hand without that actually being the case. Obviously, I can't say that you are suffering from it without knowing the details but we all know people quite often feel insecure during the interview process. If my experience is any indicator, the ones who show up with an "I can do this job without breaking a sweat" most often turn out to be the worst fit for the job. A little bit of insecurity is a good thing - it shows you care whether or not you get the job and that you're not some narcissistic douchebag.

Best of luck with your interview.

yeah, i think (hope?) thats a good part of it. also, this is the first cover letter i have ever composed, so thats probably a big part too, haha

11 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

good luck, my favorite lobster!

thanks! not to put the cart before the horse or anything, but in your own self-interest, keep those positive vibes coming; if this thing works out I know a few people that will be secondary beneficiaries ;) 

18 hours ago, r'hllor's reformed lobster said:

thanks! not to put the cart before the horse or anything, but in your own self-interest, keep those positive vibes coming; if this thing works out I know a few people that will be secondary beneficiaries ;) 

Good luck! :D