Pokemon Go

Denvek

2 hours ago, Guy Kilmore said:

I work with kids (An aside, my kids have mental health issues and a couple with some severe anxieties, it is awesome to see them like actually leaving the house and talking to other people!  We have been working on this for years with some)....Anyways....I work with kids and one of them pointed out that instead of tossing those, try some battles at gyms.  You can get decent exp and you can burn through a ton of potions even if you can't take the gym.  If you are attacking the opposing team, losses can also get you exp too.  Just saying.

I missed the Pokemon craze growing up, but between my clients and younger coworkers I downloaded the app and I have fun exploring.  (I love geocaching and this feels like the same thing).  I found a little bar in my neighborhood with a pokestop right out from that I never been too.  I learned this week they have awesome burgers.

And this, right there, is why this game is great. All of us speaking the same language. I doubled my xp with a lucky egg when evolving a bunch of rats and pidgies. Then I evolved an evee that netted me an 1137 Flareon! It's the highest one I have. It's so cool when that happens.

13 hours ago, Guy Kilmore said:

I work with kids (An aside, my kids have mental health issues and a couple with some severe anxieties, it is awesome to see them like actually leaving the house and talking to other people!  We have been working on this for years with some)....Anyways....I work with kids and one of them pointed out that instead of tossing those, try some battles at gyms.  You can get decent exp and you can burn through a ton of potions even if you can't take the gym.  If you are attacking the opposing team, losses can also get you exp too.  Just saying.

Oh, definitely. I was more riffing off the idea that Leap doesn't have a lot of gyms in his immediate vicinity, so finding opportunities to use those items can sometimes be difficult. Even though I live in a densely populated area with a lot of pokestops/gyms, I have to go out of my way to actually get close enough to a gym to engage, which means I don't go through those resources especially quickly. I've just sort of built a "visit a gym on the way home" section into my evening commute, which basically involves taking a slightly longer route home from the subway.

Did catching pokemon get harder to anyone else after the update?

Last night, I had a cp 69 ratata escape from a pokeball, and something like 5 pokeballs bounce off of a weedle. Like they didn't even attempt the capture animation-the balls hit the head and bounced off. I eventaully managed with a curveball. Did they add something in that lets pokemon with horns blcok pokeballs? I had the exact same issue with the Taurus, thoguh i wasn't actually expecting to catch it since I only had 2 left.

2 hours ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

Last night, I had a cp 69 ratata escape from a pokeball, and something like 5 pokeballs bounce off of a weedle. Like they didn't even attempt the capture animation-the balls hit the head and bounced off. I eventaully managed with a curveball. Did they add something in that lets pokemon with horns blcok pokeballs? I had the exact same issue with the Taurus, thoguh i wasn't actually expecting to catch it since I only had 2 left.

yes. I think it also gets harder to catch pokemon the more you level up.

5 hours ago, Commodore said:

You really must not have dealt with any game companies.

Their launch has gone about as smoothly as any game launch of this size in modern history. The footsteps thing makes sense to remove, since, ya know, it doesn't work right now. 

I took a gym for the first time today but it didn't last long and I also forgot to take the goodies. Today I caught a Machop, a Koffing, and a Drowzee. I'm halfway through level 18. I'm visiting my son in Orlando and I'm looking forward to catching different ones, if they are indeed different.

Finally downloaded this morning and had a gander while i walked the dog. Caught several Weedles and Pidgeys, one rattatta, one drowzee, one gastly, one eevee and one bellsprout. Saw a couple of gyms too but didnt (and couldnt since im only level 3) try them. I'm going to go to the nature reserve tomorrow with the dog so may find some more stuff there. 

Eta: went back out later as I needed some shopping at checked the app a few times. Caught some more stuff (Venonats, Krabby,  Nidoran, Gastly, Paras, zubat, more pidgeys and weedles, a caterpie). Also managed to evolve my weedle and pidgey. Saw some Pokemon in the "nearby" tab that I wish I could have found. There was a Jynx, a Clefairy, an Abra, a Fearow, but unfortunately I never managed to locate them. There is a field/park behind my house which also seems to be chock full of Pokemon so that's a bonus

On 7/31/2016 at 9:50 AM, Xray the Enforcer said:

Oh, definitely. I was more riffing off the idea that Leap doesn't have a lot of gyms in his immediate vicinity, so finding opportunities to use those items can sometimes be difficult. Even though I live in a densely populated area with a lot of pokestops/gyms, I have to go out of my way to actually get close enough to a gym to engage, which means I don't go through those resources especially quickly. I've just sort of built a "visit a gym on the way home" section into my evening commute, which basically involves taking a slightly longer route home from the subway.

Good point.  I have the same problem with Gyms as well, but like you, I built some opportunities to cross ones on my travels. :)

23 hours ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

I think they up the difficulties on Rattata's, Weedles, and Pidgies.  I noticed that all have been a usually more difficult than they were previously.  I wonder if that is an effort to combat the stacking a bunch to level up.  Or to make it a little more difficult.

I downloaded the game last week for two reasons: 1) to get my son out of the house and 2) I thought it would be something we could share, bond with. (we have to use my phone, I only get him data cards when we travel)

When I get home from work, I give him my phone and let him go find stuff.

I think I like it more than he does, but then, I’m not much into video games, and this is just my speed. We unfortunately live in a small town, so pickings have been rather slim, but I drove us out to two larger towns over the weekend, and it was a lot more fun when there were a lot of pokestops and pokemon to catch. Today, I actually went into “historic downtown” near where I work, and the park area has to have 30 or more pokestops around it (I couldn’t even fit them all into one screenshot). Also made it to level 12 and now have 24 great balls, so hopefully will be able to catch larger beasties. We have 48 /145 so far, and I have only failed to catch one, a Tauros. I have caught a 745 Slowbro and my Eevee evolved into a 538 Flareon. Also have a 570 Venomoth, but those are the biggest ones I have so far. I also got a Dratini today…my first dragon type.

Just now, Xray the Enforcer said:

Ugh. I lobbed berries and like 10 Ultra balls at a 900+ Electrabuzz and the bastard still got away. Whether this is a function of being a level 22 or part of the new update, but I'm kinda miffed about the ball nerfing.

It's so random sometimes. I just lobbed a single regular Pokeball at a 700+ Pinsir. Caught it the first try.

I'm halfway through level 19 by battling (pitifully) and Ratataing, if you know what I mean. Also, I caught the world's weakest Arbok. I continue to see a paucity of blue gyms here, as at home. Bleh.

I lost a great chance to get some water pokemon today while I was at the beach. Of course, I was there for work, and we were banding birds, so it's not like I had a lot of free time. Still, now I'm bummed that I didn't even set out a single pot of incense...

The park near my work spawned 12 consecutive Magnemites, then 8 consecutive Voltorbs. And a 300+ Pikachu got away with my nerfed Ultraballs. I'm about to do a major evolution run, just waiting for one last trip out to gather 'mon and hatch 5 more eggs...

These nerfed balls are making me testy.

One 90 CP Bulbasaur defied literally everything I threw at it. From a game-narrative perspective, it makes no goddamned sense that a Trainer would get WORSE at catching low-level mon as s/he gains experience. None. A stupid fucking decision by Niantic. If they have to make stuff harder, then either spawn high-level pokemon more frequently for a high-XP trainer, make the levels harder to achieve by spacing them out more, or just let the trainers grind without the bullshit. Right now it's the worst of all worlds.

Took my sons (twin 13 year old boys) to practice last night and it had been cancelled after we got on the road. Seeing an empty field, we decided to take full advantage of our free 2 hours. We took 4 gyms before we headed home, still holding two of them now, 22 hours later.

Good bonding experience, and the boys were happy to have someone to drive them to vulnerable gyms that they would never bike to, and they were in charge of balancing which Pokemon to staff each gym with so that they were balanced and most difficult for another team to re-take. I was kinda proud, they had a plan and were thinking strategically.

Archived