Jon Snow's potential love interests.

TheDemonicStark

13 hours ago, Bear Claw said:

She doesn't accept the Greyscale. I wonder  how she would feel about Jon if he were to come back from the dead. Would she see him as an abomination? 

I think he is definitely dead. Otherwise the stabbing would lose significance. Jon needs to be unbound from his night's watch vows in order to move forward in the story. His watch can only end in death. Also, Mel needs an opportunity to demonstrate her importance to Jon's arc. I don't think Val will be deterred by any of this. She's pretty hard, and so long as Jon is the same person he was before he died, its still a possibility

23 minutes ago, TheLastTarg said:

I think he is definitely dead. Otherwise the stabbing would lose significance. Jon needs to be unbound from his night's watch vows in order to move forward in the story. His watch can only end in death. Also, Mel needs an opportunity to demonstrate her importance to Jon's arc. I don't think Val will be deterred by any of this. She's pretty hard, and so long as Jon is the same person he was before he died, its still a possibility

Maybe. Or maybe Jon's story moves forward because he is exactly where he's supposed to be

12 hours ago, TheDemonicStark said:

Hold on, let me get the math.

Ramsay Bolton + Jeyne Poole = Horrific-god-help-me-NO trauma

Jeyne Poole + Horrific-god-help-me-NO trauma = Mental instability

Jeyne Poole + Mental instability = scared-little-girl-who-wants-a-hero mindset

SIGWWAH mindset + Jeyne Poole+ returned-from-the-dead Jon Snow = Poor Jon Snow

And 2+2=5

On 7/26/2016 at 5:22 PM, The Fattest Leech said:

Yeah. This is my last thread for any type of pairing at all because posters just want to ignore new info that is provided to them, rather than saying, "hey, if that change is happening, maybe I should consider other options?"  

So. Carry on :cheers:

I think many readers ignore it because of the fifth book. Jon's main arc is about the conflict between duty and love. He is forced to choose between his duty to the Night's Watch and his love for Arya. He tries to balance this throughout the book but eventually chooses Arya. He is then betrayed and murdered and he dies thinking of Arya. Perhaps it won't lead to anything romantic but it's clear that Arya is Jon's most beloved person. Considering this why wouldn't readers speculate about Jon and Arya's future relationship? 

24 minutes ago, Winter's Cold said:

I think many readers ignore it because of the fifth book. Jon's main arc is about the conflict between duty and love. He is forced to choose between his duty to the Night's Watch and his love for Arya. He tries to balance this throughout the book but eventually chooses Arya. He is then betrayed and murdered and he dies thinking of Arya. Perhaps it won't lead to anything romantic but it's clear that Arya is Jon's most beloved person. Considering this why wouldn't readers speculate about Jon and Arya's future relationship? 

Because they are brother and sister, and shipping brother and sister is a little odd unless you are a fan of Jaime and Cersei!

36 minutes ago, Winter's Cold said:

Considering this why wouldn't readers speculate about Jon and Arya's future relationship? 

(A = ∞) * (B = ∞)  X                                 

A=The love I have for my sister

B=The risks I would take to protect my sister

X=Romantic feelings for my sister

44 minutes ago, Neds Secret said:

FFS Darkstream, can we start with something a little less obvious?

I know it's no less obvious, but it seems it's needed. :dunno: 

1 hour ago, DutchArya said:

But they aren't. They are cousins. Like Ned Stark's mother and father. 

They are cousins who grew up as siblings, and who only see each other as siblings. They can't flick a switch and start seeing each other differently, that's not how a proper story is told, and ASoIaF is a proper story. No romantic relationship between Jon and Arya or Jon and Sansa has been hinted at all in 5 books. Martin will not change that now, it would be a huge asspull, and that's not his style. 

36 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

They are cousins who grew up as siblings, and who only see each other as siblings. They can't flick a switch and start seeing each other differently, that's not how a proper story is told, and ASoIaF is a proper story. No romantic relationship between Jon and Arya or Jon and Sansa has been hinted at all in 5 books. Martin will not change that now, it would be a huge asspull, and that's not his style

Your view is yours, if there are no credence in romantic undertone between Jon & Arya, then there won't be a lot of us thinking of it.  But there are...

And I wonder when did Aegon flick a switch and start looking at Rhaenys more as a lover than a sister?... let alone a lover he wants to marry in spite of his betrothal to his older sister, Visenya.

36 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

They are cousins who grew up as siblings, and who only see each other as siblings. They can't flick a switch and start seeing each other differently, that's not how a proper story is told, and ASoIaF is a proper story. No romantic relationship between Jon and Arya or Jon and Sansa has been hinted at all in 5 books. Martin will not change that now, it would be a huge asspull, and that's not his style. 

People want him to pull rabbits out of hats,..

3 minutes ago, IceFire125 said:

Your view is yours, if there are no credence in romantic undertone between Jon & Arya, then there won't be a lot of us thinking of it.  But there are...

Show me quotes of either thinking of the other romantically..

3 hours ago, TheDemonicStark said:

Noticed how the end result is Poor Jon Snow.

I predict if Jon and Jeyne do get married, it won't be out of love on Jon's part. Be a way for GRRM to subvert the trope of "common girl marries handsome prince in exile."

Sorry, that's not how GRRM writes his stories. When he subverts tropes, it's done in a pragmatic way, driven by realistic motivations from his characters. He does not disregard common sense and logic to creatively have something done just because he wants it to happen, the way d$d do.

1 hour ago, IceFire125 said:

And I wonder when did Aegon flick a switch and start looking at Rhaenys more as a lover than a sister?... let alone a lover he wants to marry in spite of his betrothal to his older sister, Visenya.

You are comparing apples to bananas, this in no way is a valid comparison to Jon and Arya's situation.

2 hours ago, IceFire125 said:

APPLES: Aegon grew up in a family that practiced close incest relationships as the norm. It was common for the brother to marry older sisters, so the switch was installed and always "on" for him because of family duty.

Aegon was married to Visenya first and then married Rhaenys. So in addition to being the norm and requirement to marry your sister, Aegon was also a polygamist.

ORANGES: Jon grew up thinking his Stark siblings are siblings by blood. Atleast half-blood, and he is half right. Jon grew up thinking his father is Ned. Jon grew up thinking Robb was his brother, and he even secretly left the NW once in the beginning to go be with his family and to fight for Robb.

Do you think Jon is going to start thinking of Ned as some guy whose house he grew up in after he learns who is blood father and blood mother are??? No. Ned is his father and the Stark kids are his brothers and sisters. Just ask anyone who was adopted. There was never an incest-is-best switch installed in Jon to be able to flip.

Besides, Jon is 3/4 First Man blood and he clearly identifies himself as being that towards the end of the current books.

3 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

GRRM has written very subtle changes in both those characters. If you're going to ignore them because you're against the "idea" - then that's fine. I quite like it and if it turns out to be wrong, then I'm fine with that too. 

They are already seeing eachother differently. When they meet again, it will be like meeting new people and they would have to acclimate in a completely new way. They have both been changed from their individual experiences. Arya and her involvement with a Death cult and Jon, you know, being actually dead and all. And if the situation required it, a political arrangement for example, then what needs to be done will happen and the repercussion would flow from there in the writing.  

You already see Jon showing complete in difference to the idea of "bedding your sister" as Ygritte put it. That was from a scene in a book that was released about 10 years after he created these characters. You see Arya wondering if Jon would even know her anymore? Jon thinks the same thing in the same book about Arya.

Archived