Who paid for Gendry's aprentice fee?

Impbread

Im sure that this question has been asked before but i havent seen a thread on it lately.

“Who paid the boy’s apprentice fee?” he asked lightly.
Mott looked fretful. “You saw the boy. Such a strong boy. Those hands of his, those hands were made for hammers. He had such promise, I took him on without a fee.”
“The truth now,” Ned urged. “The streets are full of strong boys. The day you take on an apprentice without a fee will be the day the Wall comes down. Who paid for him?”
“A lord,” the master said reluctantly. “He gave no name, and wore no sigil on his coat. He paid in gold, twice the customary sum, and said he was paying once for the boy, and once for my silence.”
“Describe him.”
He was stout, round of shoulder, not so tall as you. Brown beard, but there was a bit of red in it, I’ll swear. He wore a rich cloak, that I do remember, heavy purple velvet worked with silver threads, but the hood shadowed his face and I never did see him clear.”

Was there a full description of Jon Arryn? I always assumed that it was Jon Arryn, Varys, LF or one of Jon's underlings who taking care of Robert's bastards. I doubt it was Robert himself.

5 minutes ago, BricksAndSparrows said:

Round shouldered...   always thought it was Varys.

He was shorter than Ned. We know for a certain than, it wasn;t Robert.

It is interesting to think about though. If it is Varys, than the little hint about his brown and (maybe) reddish beard and purple/silver digs would be meaningless.

Based on that description he sounds like a bravosi banker and mots shop has the same doors as the house of black and white and is possibly the host of faceless men.

Wasn't it Varys who arranged for him to go with Yoren? that would be my first guess. The beard and hood are part of the disguise he wears on several occasions.

edit: it seems a bit pointless to analyze the garb, knowing it's meant to mislead.

3 minutes ago, BricksAndSparrows said:

Damn it...why did you have to do this to me? I'll be chewing on this for weeks...

I don't know, this seems like it would open a ridiculous and unnecessary can of worms. If Iron Bank and Faceless meddling are alleged, I can't imagine Gendry would be alive still. Varys seems much more the type to leave the royal bastard alive but hidden, even if only to keep that card in the deck.

6 minutes ago, cgrav said:

I don't know, this seems like it would open a ridiculous and unnecessary can of worms. If Iron Bank and Faceless meddling are alleged, I can't imagine Gendry would be alive still. Varys seems much more the type to leave the royal bastard alive but hidden, even if only to keep that card in the deck.

Yeah. In general I'm suspicious of massive conspiracies, but at the same time, those faceless men from the meetings....it's like they are just lined up waiting to appear somewhere...

I guess the description of the guy who came to pay Tobo Mott, could just be misdirection.

I think a motive is missing from the FM equation. I don't see why they would be involved. Varys has more or less said he's trying to keep things predictable and stable until it's time to act on his Targ restoration plan. Gendry is just around in case Varys needs him for an unforeseen circumstance. 

It's also possible that Gendry was planted in such a conspicuous manner specifically so he would be "discovered" by Arryn and precipitate the destabilizing events in GoT. In which case I'd say it was Littlefinger's doing, though disguises really don't seem like his style.

• My first thought was littlefinger and the mad mouse but his description didnt fit. Then thought of beric because of the red hair and the black and purple cloak but he was no motive that we know of. Varys in disguise is all ive got.
  • 1 hour ago, cgrav said:

Wasn't it Varys who arranged for him to go with Yoren? that would be my first guess. The beard and hood are part of the disguise he wears on several occasions.

edit: it seems a bit pointless to analyze the garb, knowing it's meant to mislead.

I always thought that Ned wanted him to take the black. The letter that he wrote in the dungeon had something to do with it (in my opinion). He already sent one royal bastard to the wall (jon). I think that Varys read the letter as he said he would and decided that it would be a good place for him to stay safe. At that point he still thought that Ned was going there too.

The setting for that letter makes it seems way more important than pertaining to a character who ultimately just disappears from the story (so far). Ned requested to write the letter before knowing that Varys would read it, so he must have intended to write something that was not intended only for Varys. The big suspicion is, of course, that he wanted to write something about RLJ.

If we accept that Varys placed Gendry in Mott's shop to protect him, then I think we're fairly safe concluding that he could have sent Gendry north without Ned's instructions. 

On the literary level, Ned's POV is so short and packed with clues that I don't think such a mysterious situation would be "wasted"one a minor plot advancement, which could very easily have been achieved by another character (and in my opinion was). We already know that someone is pulling strings for Gendry, so I don't think we gain any real insight to the plot or characters if we discover that Ned helped him escape. Helping Gendry out of pure compassion is certainly within Ned's character, but we already know that, and getting re-confirmation of that later on doesn't change how we perceive Ned. To the contrary, it does add to Varys's character by demonstrating how thorough and complex his political influence is.

I always thought it was Varys keeping the boy close to be used as evidence about Cersei's bastards when the time came. It could have even been Varys that dropped the hint that sent jon Arryn to the smith to see Gendry in the first place.

It was Varys. Varys kept tabs on Robert's bastards to parade them, or at least point them out to the lords around the realm, when he was ready to initiate a crisis of succession that would benefit Aegon's arrival in Westeros. 

On 8/22/2016 at 9:14 PM, Net-Viper X said:

I always thought it was Varys keeping the boy close to be used as evidence about Cersei's bastards when the time came. It could have even been Varys that dropped the hint that sent jon Arryn to the smith to see Gendry in the first place.

Varys was not ready yet, as we learn when Arya overhears him talking with Illyrio. Besides, we learn that Stannis who got Jon Arryn to investigate. But I suspect Petyr was the one who dropped the hint to Stannis, and set the whole thing in motion. 

Archived