Will Daenerys blow up King's Landing?

Anglo

I had this thought a while back, but recently I realised that I never shared it here. So here goes...

We now know that Cersei has a lot of wildfire knocking about, and that there is probably a fair bit of it left around King's Landing (If I were a megalomaniac tyrant I'd want to hold my city hostage to maintain power). So let's say that at some point, Cersei hears about Dany and her dragons/fleet coming for her. What if she then planted caches of wildfire throughout the city, and let Daenerys attack. The fire from Dany's dragons could then ignite it, destroying much of the city (and if Cersei's lucky it'll kill off a few of her critics, too) and emotionally shattering Dany. Imagine this character who has done nothing but rise in power and is now arguably the most powerful person alive, raised as the true ruler and benevolent saviour of the common people. Alternatively, she could just set it off by accident and Cersei then takes advantage of the situation. This is a character that has had to battle with the image and the shadow of her father, the Mad King, who tried and failed to ignite all of the wildfire under the city. Imagine what it would do to Dany if she then succeeded to do what her mad father did. Imagine what it would do to her to see the people dying because of her, seeing everybody rise up and hate her. It would crush her. And if Dany does this and kills/enrages the people, where will the people go? To the queen, Cersei, the person cracked enough to take Dany on despite the odds.

I do hope this prediction of mine comes true, I think it would be a fascinating twist to Daenerys' character... and I also don't like her much anyway :P

It is a interesting point. Though I don't think that Cersei would just let KL burn and flee. Cersei sits on the IT because there's noone around who could make a better claim and has enough power to seize it. If Cersei flees, she will leave a power vacuum.

I think Cersei will try to stop Dany on the way by destroying her fleet.

In the books, I think Dany does accidentally blow up Kings Landing by igniting the Wildfire that "I'm so misunderstood" anti-hero Jaime never bothered to tell anyone about.  

In the show, I don't think so.  With the wildfire being used to eliminate the Tyrells, Kevan Lannister, the Faith, and any noble of note in Kings Landing, I doubt we see them double dip.  

I would say no.

Just now, JonSnow4President said:

In the books, I think Dany does accidentally blow up Kings Landing by igniting the Wildfire that "I'm so misunderstood" anti-hero Jaime never bothered to tell anyone about.  

In the show, I don't think so.  With the wildfire being used to eliminate the Tyrells, Kevan Lannister, the Faith, and any noble of note in Kings Landing, I doubt we see them double dip.  

Did they used all of it? I think there is wildfire hidden all over the city and just Sept of Baelor. There must be more of it and remember if Dany's forces will close in on KL and prevail. Cersei might decide fuck it and try to burn it down mirroring Aerys with Jaime killing her.

Just now, Lord Friendzone said:

I would say no.

Did they used all of it? I think there is wildfire hidden all over the city and just Sept of Baelor. There must be more of it and remember if Dany's forces will close in on KL and prevail. Cersei might decide fuck it and try to burn it down mirroring Aerys with Jaime killing her.

I'm actually just talking about redundancy and doing the same thing over and over again.

I don't think Dany would do that. Cersei would. 

If Dany's outside the city and Cersei's a sitting duck, I think she'd rather go out in a blaze of glory. I know some have mentioned it might be redundant, but I don't think so honestly. It wasn't redundant when Mel burned Mance then Shireen. There have been multiple times that similar things have happened more than once. Cersei has used wildfire similarly in the books, granted at much lower stakes, and people are still eager for her to use it again.

Besides, the circumstances would be very different, so I don't think it'll be a problem personally.

18 hours ago, JonSnow4President said:

I'm actually just talking about redundancy and doing the same thing over and over again.

Wildfire is Cersei's only weapon because otherwise she's fucked. If it makes sense in the story, no one would really care if they did that before or not. There is ton of it still in catacombs under Red Keep and whole King's Landing too.

I don't think the use of wildfire would be redundant. You need to think of it as a fight that escalates into a war. Where her use of it in the Sept of Baelor was a fight, the explosion of King's Landing is the war. 

I'm not sure who will eventually blow up King's Landing if Cersei or Dany. But my personal preference is that it be Cersei, purely for the irony of the entire situation. 

We have a mad monarch on the Iron Throne who has closed the gates of the city (remember that Cersei had the gates closed in season 2). Then, there will be (most like) and army outside the city trying to get in.

Fifteen years ago the Mad Monarch was a Targaryen King and the army trying to get into the city was comprised of mostly Lannister forces, lead by the head of House Lannister. Both men.

Now fifteen years later the Mad Monarch is a Lannister Queen and the army trying to get into the city will be comprised of mostly Targaryen forces, lead by the head of House Targaryn. Both women.

Then we have Jaime Lannister. Who became a Kingslayer when he killed the Mad King Aerys before he could set the King’s Landing ablaze.

The irony now would be if Jaime tries to stop the Mad Queen Cersei from setting King’s Landing ablaze, he succeeds in killing her but he’ll fail in stopping the fire that will consume them all. 

Dany setting King's Landing abalze is possible but seems unlikely only because Tyrion has told her about the cache of wildfire hidden throughout the city. Unless they believe the cache has been used when Cersei blew up the Sept. Or she looses control of one of the dragons and they begin to breath fire all over the place. That's also possible. 

My vote is for irony though. 

20 hours ago, JonSnow4President said:

Agree. In the books she will do it but whitewashed Dany in the series will not do it.

If I'm not mistaken, Tyrion knows about the wildfire caches throughout the city (He used it in the battle of Blackwater, plus he is Jamies brother and once close friend, and we know why Jamie is called Kingslayer, I am sure Tyrion does as well).  Tyrion being her Hand would likely strongly suggest against using dragonfire against Kingslanding (foreshadowed in Meereen-"Don't be like your crazy poppi and burn cities.. ").

So to me, the real dilemma is taking KL without the dragons.  So we get this ( I can see the scene beteen Daeny and Tyrion in my head already), "My Grace, you can destroy the city and the throne or you can bypass it and win Westros overal, but you will never *have* the Iron Throne".

The whole wildfire business makes little and less sense. Did Jaime not tell anybody about the wildfire? Did he just let his sister sit over explosive for fifteen years?  If he did tell people, how was it a surprise to Tyrion and even more so, after the battle of blackwater, how was it a surprise to Qyburn and Cersei. A "rumor" was found true. What rumor? Cersei had wildfire made in season 2 according to lancel! Cersei watched Tyrion use wildfire they had under KL in season 2. Did nobody ever want to do something about that? Were they all just comfortable sitting on top of it? Anybody could have blown up KL on purpose or by accident all those years. 

As for Daenerys, no she would never blow up KL on purpose and if she happened to blow it up by accident, it would really not make her a villain or a mad queen, because it would hardly be her fault, so it wouldn't in the least darkwash her or whatever is the opposite of whitewashing. 

They could potentially get that wildfire north to use it against the white walkers and the zombie skeletons. It would help solve the how to save humanity issue as well as the plot problem around the wildfire. Still, why didn't people do something about this before? 

3 minutes ago, RhaenysB said:

As for Daenerys, no she would never blow up KL on purpose and if she happened to blow it up by accident, it would really not make her a villain or a mad queen, because it would hardly be her fault, so it wouldn't in the least darkwash her or whatever is the opposite of whitewashing. 

They could potentially get that wildfire north to use it against the white walkers and the zombie skeletons. It would help solve the how to save humanity issue as well as the plot problem around the wildfire. Still, why didn't people do something about this before? 

Depends on her reaction to doing so, but by and large I agree.  

1 minute ago, JonSnow4President said:

Depends on her reaction to doing so, but by and large I agree.  

I highly doubt that either book or show Daenerys would sit back with a glass of wine and grin to herself after a productive day at such event. 

13 hours ago, dornishdragon said:

I don't think so atleast on the show because Tyrion will advise her about the Wildfire hidden beneath King's Landing. Cersei might do that thought in a moment of desperation and I woudn't be surprise if she does a Blackwater Bay 2.0 destroying a significant part of Daenerys fleet. 

Yeah, they really got into playing every card twice during season 6. But surely they can come up with something more original than that or at least Tyrion will warn Daenerys about that too. 

I'm thinking Tyrion will be exchanged for Kings Landing. Cersei would probably hand over EVERYTHING just to get her revenge on him, seeing as though she blames him for pretty much ALL of their Houses ills. 

Cersei's plan will be to execute Tyrion once she has him in her custody, and also have Kings Landing rigged to blow like she did with the Great Sept. Jamie will probably execute Cersei first, though, and both he and Tyrion will escape Kings Landing. Jamie and Tyrion will get the blame, and this means that Dany doesn't have to be the "Mad Kings Daughter" who came back to finish the work her father started. 

On 10/6/2016 at 7:19 AM, RhaenysB said:

Yeah, they really got into playing every card twice during season 6. But surely they can come up with something more original than that or at least Tyrion will warn Daenerys about that too. 

I think they will do it again, but make it different. Last 2 times, Wildfyre plot was a success for Lannisters (especially those whose plan it was- Tyrion and Cersei), this time it will be a disaster for Lannisters and the originators of the plan. 

We will have KL under siege and Cersei going on and on about her "secret plans" and etc, then Jaime (and/or Arya) kill her but by that time Wildfyre ignites anyway destroying KL, either by preset slow-burn wick (ala WoW episode) or Dany already making her move and her dragon(s) accidentally triggering the blast.  So in the end we end up with the scene from Dany's vision - devastated and burned throne room with snow falling. And all characters in KL - including Cersei (of course), Jaime, and others who just might end up being inside (Arya, Gendry, Euron, Tyrion) as casualties, perhaps a dragon chained in dragonpit too.

Archived