US elections: aiding an' Abedin

IheartIheartTesla

12 minutes ago, Boris the Blade said:

No, men and women are not treated equally. And you conveniently ignored the rest of what I said. You need to take a sociology class, or two, or three and actually talk to women about the shit they deal with, because it is pretty evident you have zero clue. 

A sociology course would be completely useless for my major. I'm not going to waste my money not my time taking one.

As for why I ignored the rest of your post, well the gender wage gap is a myth, I didn't deem it worth responding to, and abortion rights aren't a sexist issue, they are a moral/ethical one.

11 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Depends on the underdeveloped country. And even then - only 7 countries have not ratified an international bill of women's rights, and the US is one of them. The US is one of only 9 countries that doesn't give guaranteed leave for birth. The US is 65th in wage equality - worse than Egypt, UAE, and Ethiopia. The US has fewer women in government than more than half of all countries - including Afghanistan. And the US doesn't even have an equal protection clause in its constitution. 

With regards to the linked article, Saudi Arabia isn't one of the seven? If that misogynistic country signed that bill, it doesn't mean much. As for birth, we have paid leave. Wage equality: different jobs require different wages. And the number of women in government, who cares? They are still allowed to serve in government. Talking about "numbers" makes it seem like we are treating women as a quota the US must achieve, in effect it would be dehumanizing. Finally, equal protection, I thought the Fourteenth Amendment did that? If I'm wrong, let me know.

21 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Alternately, if she were a man one could argue that she wouldn't have had a single problem beating a fairly meh candidate in the senate race and would have been significantly more likely to beat Obama based on being white. 

Alternately,  this is literally the first time any major party has had a woman as their presidential candidate in 300 years, and 50 other countries have had a woman as their leader before the US - including places like China, India, and Pakistan.

It's at best speculation to consider what would have happened if Hillary were a man.

As for only now having a female presidential candidate compared to other nations, better late than never.

11 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I did something stupid. I knew better, but I did it anyways :(

I watched the Clinton vs Trump rap battle and then looked at the comments. it's my own fault really.

The ERB one? You can always watch Jon Cozart's rap battle, the comments are fairly civil the last I checked. Politiclash 1 and 2

OK. Today I am going to put my abilities to the test and predict that Drumpf will win the Presidential election. It's not a conclusion I came to easily as up until recently I thought Clinton would offset Drumpf's sweep of the swing states by winning North Carolina but now with the polls narrowed, that is no longer the case.

The reason Drumpf is going to win is because this election has always been about making the other candidate look worse and not about ideas. At the moment Clinton is on the defensive and there is no more time to divert attention back to Drumpf's issues.

As to the lopsided demographic advantage to Clinton, that will not help because ironically this will be an election with the highest turnout in decades and will beat 2008 when the turnout was 57%. The extra votes Drumpf gets to offset the Clinton advantage in non-whites, women and young people is the working class white male vote that has not voted in a long time and he will win that demographic overwhelmingly.

Now about the electoral college. The polls are narrowing plus Clinton in on the defensive about some email thing, so that means Drumpf will sweep all the swing states plus add New Hampshire and an electoral vote in Maine. I predict New Hampshire and part of Maine going to Drumpf because of the demographics Drumpf is winning over plus the lack of polls there. Others may disagree but I'm still giving Pennsylvania to Clinton because of her persistent lead there in the polls plus historic trends. Now even if Clinton were to win Colorado or Nevada, that will not be enough to pull ahead of Drumpf in the electoral college. She would have to win BOTH. 

Finally about an electoral college tie. The House of Representatives is safely in Republican control so that means Drumpf needs to only win 269 electoral votes. Clinton needs 270. So the truth is there is more ways for Drumpf to win than we assume.

I will be very happy if I'm wrong, but here you go. This is my prediction.

1 hour ago, Maester Drew said:

Oh for fuck's sake! This country isn't misogynistic or sexist. If it were, we'd be just like Saudi Arabia, but thankfully we are a Western and secular country that treats women and men equally.

This is parody, right?

1 hour ago, Maester Drew said:

Oh for fuck's sake! This country isn't misogynistic or sexist. If it were, we'd be just like Saudi Arabia, but thankfully we are a Western and secular country that treats women and men equally.

Clean up on aisle 15. 

42 minutes ago, Maester Drew said:

As for why I ignored the rest of your post, well the gender wage gap is a myth,

Why is so difficult to just stop and think about this for a fucking second. Okay the wage difference is due to choices, (which does mean it still exists dude, it not a myth there are just people positing that its reasons are not bad) it's a helluva leap to then conclude all of those choices are made freely. That women choosing to cut back on working after a child is born has fuck all to do with societal pressures and has no discriminatory basis at all.

If women and men actually do have a natural inclination towards different jobs and hours and whatever maybe fucking prove that first instead of just assuming it. Finding that women pick jobs with less or more flexible hours is the start of the investigation not the end.

Fucking hell the article even touches upon one of the possible reasons for this, but then immediately reverts back to the bullshit assumption that just because women choose something there can't be any discrimination involved. Men not being able to be stay at home dads because of prejudice is fucking discrimination. In that one paragraph the article acknowledges that it's wrong.

1 hour ago, Ordos said:

The reason Drumpf is going to win is because this election has always been about making the other candidate look worse and not about ideas. At the moment Clinton is on the defensive and there is no more time to divert attention back to Drumpf's issues.

Ordinarily I would agree with you, but given that this is Trump, I would not be so sure -- there's got to be a lot more video about him. That said, FiveThirtyEight partially agrees with you: assuming Trump can trim Clinton's lead in the polls just a point or two more, he can win the Electoral College while losing the popular vote. It's still not likely, but it's no longer as impossible as it looked a couple of weeks ago. PredictWise (a prediction market aggregator) now has Trump's probability of winning at 16% which is almost twice the 9% from early last week.

2 hours ago, Maester Drew said:

With regards to the linked article, Saudi Arabia isn't one of the seven? If that misogynistic country signed that bill, it doesn't mean much. As for birth, we have paid leave. Wage equality: different jobs require different wages. And the number of women in government, who cares? They are still allowed to serve in government. Talking about "numbers" makes it seem like we are treating women as a quota the US must achieve, in effect it would be dehumanizing. Finally, equal protection, I thought the Fourteenth Amendment did that? If I'm wrong, let me know.

We do not have guaranteed paid leave. Not even close.The article I linked even states as much. We don't even have guaranteed UNPAID leave. 

Women make less money not only in general but for the same jobs. In addition, they are less likely to get the same jobs men get even with identical resumes (same is true for minorities). As to who cares about representation in government, well, women tend to; as it turns out, representation actually matters, and being underrepresented kind of sucks. (there was a good study recently that had a 80-20 female male representation, and the men involved lost their shit). It doesn't need to be a quota, but in general the overall population should be reasonably represented in electorate, and if it is not it is almost always the case that this is due to systemic bias. Another way to put it is this: if everything is equal, why are there so few female representatives in government across the board? Why wouldn't half of the population be represented at least vaguely proportionally? 

Equal protection is not guaranteed for women by the 14th amendment. You're wrong. I'm letting you know. In fact, it even says that in the article I linked as well. 

Only 32 constitutions do not include an explicit gender equality guarantee. The U.S. Constitution is one of them. Though parts of the Constitution -- like the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th Amendment -- may appear to protect women, even Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia has said this isn't the case.

"Certainly the Constitution does not require discrimination on the basis of sex. The only issue is whether it prohibits it. It doesn't," he said in the January 2011 issue of California Lawyer.

2 hours ago, Maester Drew said:

A sociology course would be completely useless for my major. I'm not going to waste my money not my time taking one.

As for why I ignored the rest of your post, well the gender wage gap is a myth, I didn't deem it worth responding to, and abortion rights aren't a sexist issue, they are a moral/ethical one.

It's at best speculation to consider what would have happened if Hillary were a man.

As for only now having a female presidential candidate compared to other nations, better late than never.

If I can get away with saying this, and if I cannot, pardon me, take your "they are still allowed" and suck it. Truly.

What tends to always be conveniently left out when discussing the big bad evil mysogynist USA is how men are treated so much harsher by the criminal justice system than women are. Ridiculously higher incarceration rates, much stiffer sentencing handed out to men than women for the same crimes.

It's always an ignorance of context, it just goes straight to -women make less money so everything is sexist against them. And I'm completely entitled to be a rude jerk to anyone who claims otherwise- 

I doubt either of these candidates give a shit about any sort of gender equality when it comes to equality that isn't a voting issue.

Indeed. Women complaining about paid leave and equal pay are just prudes out to play the victim for reduced jail sentences, child support, and free birth control. You've cracked the code to unraveling the truth of the universe. Btw, how was the new Bakker book? Pretty good?

19 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

This seems like a very sexist thing for you to say.

Look, this idea that feminism is not concerned with passive sexism "benefitting" women and disadvantaging men is at least 20 years outdated.

That's the ENTIRE reason Dems aren't a fan of Ivanka's female-only parental leave "plan."

Archived